• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broke your motor from WMO?

camp9

I've mixed and matched oils with diesel, and so far no problems, but have heard of others who have. I do have heaters on my injector lines, suppose to help, not sure if it is, but the engine seems to like it.

m816

oddshot

I get some smoke on cold start-up and during cold operation. When the engine gets up to temp, the smoke drops off.

I never get great black billowing clouds of it ... Oh ... there might be enough to cause somebody from California or New Jersey get woozy ... or maybe even faint a little. But certainly not enough to upset a Georgian.

oddshot
Not for nuthin Oddshot, We who live in Jersey don't get woozy from a little smoke, ever, we have a lot more dangerous stuff in the air here all the time. anybody passed out from a little diesel smoke on the turnpike around here is probably from someplace else and is made from weaker stuff

JVK12280

Hi i'm new to ss.wondering if anyone has experience using wmo in a mep003 generator or any other military generator? Just pick one up and have access to plenty used mo and atf. Would like to make cheap powr!

hodgeb

I've been checking out the EPA requirements for WMO, it seems that the regs want you to have an EPA ID# to transport more than 55 gallons of used motor oil at a time. Additionally, EPA regs on used oil cease to apply when mixed with diesel to be used in the handler's personal vehicles. Farmers who generate less than 25 gallons of oil a month are exempt, as well as "do it yourselfers" (those who come into possession of approximately 800g of oil):)

The EPA rules on WMO are: 40 CFR part 279

The rules seem pretty straight-forward, common sense type of stuff. No specific rules for no-no ratio's on mixing motor oil and diesel.

Anybody know how easy it is to apply for EPA identification number? I'm going to look into it!

EPA crap is anything but straightforward. :)

Here's an idea: bring a couple gallons of diesel with you and mix it with the WMO. Then it's just unfiltered fuel and not waste or bulk oil. (I have heard rumor that people have gotten by with underground bulk waste oil storage by mixing it with diesel, which is otherwise illegal; I wouldn't try it, myself.)

Also, I'd say use 50 gallon drums. Any storage or transportation of petroleum products in containers greater than 55 gallons volume require regulation. (This is why bulk oil gets shipped in 50 gallon drums.)

Yeah, that really works. :|

sandcobra164

I've been told the 250 will handle 50 percent in warmer climates like we have in GA. Can't speak for MD. I have a stranded M818 in my yard that is likely on 80 percent at this point. She is more hesitant to start now but runs fine once started.

akt12

The only insight I can give currently is to collect old speaker magnets and place them on the bottom of your drums and fuel tanks. I specifically purchased my M35A2 for running on Synthetic WMO I purchase at at pennies a gallon. It was cheaper for me to get a fixer upper deuce than convert my H1 to bi-fuel system on WVO. I would like to install a second tank and valve to switch between WMO and diesel from the pump. This would lengthen engine life. Start on diesel, get up to operating temps, switch to WMO then prior to shut-down purge system on diesel.

bigbird1

The only thing I can see is a carbon buildup on the rings and valves . I would love to take apart a engine with 50,000 miles of wmo use??? When I take apart a engine with stuck rings or broken , the valves have a thick layer of carbon buildup and need to be bead blasted off even to be ground . good thing the deuce engines are cheap!

shannondeese

My truck had 2600 miles on the odometer when I brought her home. I am now at 36500 as of parking her tonight. In the 5 years I've been driving her I've only put Diesel in on special occasions. Going snow wheeling or hunting up in the mountains above 6000 ft in the winter. Most of the time I run WMO or WTO or WVO or old gas from the marina. Well pretty much just about anything that'll burn has been put though the fuel system. I'm on my second set of filters since I bought the truck. I use either a diesel craft centrifuge or a redline fuel pump filter system. Either system gets it down to 5 microns. I let all of my fuel sit in 55 gallon drums for a few weeks before I filter it, the bottom 2 inches I pull out and use to start fires or waste out by giving it to the local parts store.

akt12

my truck had 2600 miles on the odometer when i brought her home. I am now at 36500 as of parking her tonight. In the 5 years i've been driving her i've only put diesel in on special occasions. Going snow wheeling or hunting up in the mountains above 6000 ft in the winter. Most of the time i run wmo or wto or wvo or old gas from the marina. Well pretty much just about anything that'll burn has been put though the fuel system. I'm on my second set of filters since i bought the truck. I use either a diesel craft centrifuge or a redline fuel pump filter system. Either system gets it down to 5 microns. I let all of my fuel sit in 55 gallon drums for a few weeks before i filter it, the bottom 2 inches i pull out and use to start fires or waste out by giving it to the local parts store.
"awesome dude!"

NightOwl

There are thousands and thousands of people running diesel cars and trucks on waste veggie oil. Just search the web for wvo conversions. Filter your oil with bag filters first. Bag filters are on ebay. I think Racor has a heated marine fuel filter that worked great on my H1 Hummer which ran on veggie oil. The general idea is to heat the oil to thin it out. Start on diesel and stop on diesel. Now they have computerized systems that automatically switch back to diesel and run the car/truck until all the veggie oil is out of the injectors. Cold thick veggie oil in injectors is hard to start.

Beyond Biodiesel

There is quite a lot of discussion on burning WMO on a 6.2/6.5 DD forum. I reread through the forum and found everyone who had no trouble burning WMO had a turbo, and everyone who had trouble did not. Link below:
ALTERNATIVE FUELs over 7k mies - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

I then found another long discussion of burning WMO in a diesel engine on another forum, where there was one guy who had nothing but trouble, and he had a 6.2L DD engine.
CONVERTING WASTE MOTOR OIL TO DIESEL FUEL - Diesel Bombers
Used motor oil - Diesel Bombers

My forum has a whole section on burning WMO in a diesel engine.
Making Black Diesel (WMO)

My 6.2L DD engine now has significant blowby from numerous experiments in the last 6 years trying to burn WMO in it. Every experiment with burning WMO on my 6.2L DD engine resulted in coked injectors; however, I was able to increase the interval between injector services to 3 months toward the end of my blending experiments.

Those experiments suggest that there is another factor in why WMO can be burned in some diesel engines, even though they are not turbo-charged. Some people just have access to very clean WMO; whereas most of us get total sludge as WMO. So, I believe it is the translucence factor that can make the difference.
Making Translucent WMO Blend Diesel Fuel

Beyond Biodiesel

I have been burning waste oil-gasoline blends on my 6.2L Detroit Diesel for over 6 years. Most of the waste oil that I have burned was WVO, and it ran fine on my engine. However, running WMO on my engine always results in coking my injectors. So, I am currently building a WMO distillation system. So far it works great, and I have burned a small amount of the fuel with no problems yet.

Just a note to those burning both WMO and WVO I have found some WMO will react negatively when it encounters WVO. A sludge can form at the bottom of the fuel tank, and it can creep along the fuel ines all of the way to your IP.

I have found if I am going to run WMO after running WVO, if I blend the WMO with the WVO first, and leave it to settle for a month, then there is less to no precipitate formed when that bend enters a fuel tank containing WVO residues.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks