• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Burning B20 in my M1009

rjinga

Hey everyone,

I promise I searched the existing threads and posts before I started this one, but I couldn't find the specific answers I was looking for. I just have a couple of questions:

1. Can you burn B20 in a M1009 6.2 liter diesel engine? I'm not interested in mixing it up in my backyard. I'd be buying it from a National Biodiesel Board retailer in my county.

2. He (the retailer) said the biodiesel is a solvent and I'd need to replace any rubber components in my fuel system.
a) Has anyone done that to their M1009? If so, what all is involved?
b) Is there a "kit" out there so I can be sure I'm replacing everything at one time?

rjinga

Well, I just read this off the National Biodiesel Board biodiesel useage checklist:

"In general, pure biodiesel [B100] will soften and degrade certain types of elastomers and natural rubber compounds over time. Using high percent blends can impact fuel system components (primarily fuel hoses and fuel pump seals), that contain elastomer compounds incompatible with biodiesel.... Blends of B20 or lower have not exhibited elastomer degradation and need no changes."

Third question: Is anyone burning B20 without swapping out their rubber components? If so, for how long and have you noticed any degradation?

Last edited:

mangus580

I have run B100 numerous times in my 1009. you may have to watch some of the soft fuel lines over time. Depends on how old said lines are.

rjinga

I have run B100 numerous times in my 1009. you may have to watch some of the soft fuel lines over time. Depends on how old said lines are.
I'm guessing they are original, so 26 years old?! Might be a good excuse for a change anyway. Does anyone know what that (fuel line replacement) would cost?

mangus580

Properly made biodiesel is NOT corrosive....

The hardened components of the Mil-Spec IP in the CUCV trucks should stand up to biodiesel just fine.

Its been said that todays 'ultra low sulfur' diesel is just as harsh on IP's as biodiesel, if not harsher due to the lack of lubrication.

rjinga

Properly made biodiesel is NOT corrosive....

The hardened components of the Mil-Spec IP in the CUCV trucks should stand up to biodiesel just fine.

Its been said that todays 'ultra low sulfur' diesel is just as harsh on IP's as biodiesel, if not harsher due to the lack of lubrication.
I'm not trying to parse words, but my understanding is that the biodiesel (in higher ratios anyway) acts as a solvent to soften and dissolve, no as a corroding agent. If that is what you mean, then just ignore this paragraph.

Hey, If you can burn B20 as is with not system changes, I'll be at the retailer place tomorrow filling up!

mangus580

I doubt you will notice anything by running B20 for some time. Your biggest concern will be the return lines for the injectors, the return caps, and the flex hose right by the IP.

You can change them all up front for about $50 - or just change them as problems arise...

rjinga

I doubt you will notice anything by running B20 for some time. Your biggest concern will be the return lines for the injectors, the return caps, and the flex hose right by the IP.

You can change them all up front for about $50 - or just change them as problems arise...
I'm liking this more and more. Mangus580, do you have personal experience with biodiesel in your vehicles?

rjinga

Well, considering I work at a commercial biodiesel plant...

:beer:

We ran B100 in our 6.5's all summer, up until mid/late november
Well ok, but other than that... ;) So, would you run B20 from a National Biodiesel Board retailer in your '85 M1009 without modifications?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks