• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can someone identify this body?

Bigmanbrock07

Deals done. I pay him $1500 next week and it's already titled in florida so he says. The only equipment that I know of left in it is the welder and generator. I'm really curious to see what works or needs work.

I know the brakes need something as the master will run dry after it's sat a while. I'm just hoping it's a soft line or someting and not a master cylinder or something. How much trouble will I be in if they've ran DOT 3 or 4 instead of the DOT 5? Any chance of that messing up the master or booster?

The body I'm not a fan of, but if there weren't a huge number of them made, I'd gladly trade it for a flat bed or something. No need to scrap it if it'll do a fellow MV collector some good. I plan on hopefully bobbing it later in it's life. Maybe another year or so. Have one other project to finish before I can get to this one.

The girlfriend didn't even freak out when I showed her the pictures. She told me she'd help me work on it as long as I could tell her what to do and played some good music. The music was a must...:lol:

She's too dadgum good for me. Just as soon as she finishes her PhD I'm gonna try and marry her. :cool:

Attachments

Bigmanbrock07

So I've been looking in the 5 ton area. Seems almost nothing about this truck is known, unless I'm just totally looking up the wrong terms. (I wouldn't doubt this. :p) Either way, do I need to start now posting all my dumb newbie questions in the 5 ton forum? :cry: You guys were so very helpful. Hopefully a lot of y'all are also in there too.

Thanks again fellows for all the info so fast. I won't even be able to get this thing to the house for a week or two. It's a shame as I want to bring it home tomorrow. I work where it's parked all week long. I know I'll be toying with it on my lunch brakes and such trying to get it road worthy before I drive it home.

Oh, speaking of driving it home, do I need a class B or anything for this now? I know for a deuce I was good, but what about a 5t?

Last edited:

Bigmanbrock07

Mack, I know there's no way the truck will be ready be then as it's just in too bad of shape right now to be shown off, however I may very well try and hit up the show just to meet some fellow SS guys. It'd be good to meet someone else who is as crazy as I am. :p

Bigmanbrock07

Funny thing is he's been trying to sell this thing for some time and I didn't know it. I'd have been all over it much sooner when he was asking 2k for it but he was selling it to construction companies and the like. No-go with them and he didn't know where to turn to. Good thing I knew I wanted it. Shame he chopped the winch off before I could get it though. I'm still trying to get the winch back but it isn't looking good. Was it a 20k pound winch on the 5tons or just the standard 10k?

KsM715

Did he Chop (torch it) off or un-bolt it? I need some brackets. If he wont part with the winch maybe he'll let go of some brackets.

Bigmanbrock07

Did he Chop (torch it) off or un-bolt it? I need some brackets. If he wont part with the winch maybe he'll let go of some brackets.

He doesn't have the winch anymore, and what's left on the truck I'm keeping because I'll be replacing the winch eventually. Right now they're running almost as much as I paid for the truck. :oops:

They actually unbolted the winch, but then torched the pto shaft at both ends.

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, speaking of driving it home, do I need a class B or anything for this now? I know for a deuce I was good, but what about a 5t?

In Florida if it's a straight truck then no CDL is needed. Just a regular auto license. Would only need a CDL for a 5 ton if it had a fifth wheel on the back and no cargo bed.

Just be careful if you take it out of state. You might want to read up on IFTA (International Fuel Tax Agreement) and IRP (International Registration Plan) permits when driving out of Florida.

Ruppster

Bigmanbrock07

So I may not get to put my hands on this thing until end of next week or possibly after. Can anyone tell me anything about this generator that's in the truck?

Supposedly they had some trouble with it, but I think they said it was something to do with the PTO. Once that's fixed, is it worth keeping? Are we talking like a 3 phase generator that won't do me much good, or is it single phase? 5kw, 15kw? I have no clue and searching isn't turning much up about this body and contents.

I know the generator and welder are the only 2 things left in it now. The compressor was used on the job as well as the drill press and the lathe was gone before they got the truck. Just curious if it's worth keeping the generator in some fashion as an emergency backup that could run on WMO or if I should salvage the body and give it to someone who could actually restore it and keep it going? I'd just hate to cut this thing up if it's rare or useful.

Bigmanbrock07

Nice score. Wish we had a decent yard around here I could go scrounge. Need all kinds of parts for mine. Doors, hood, window frames, and the list goes on. Could just use a whole nother cab if I could find someone scrapping one out.

Are the 5tons and duece cabs the same as far as doors and such? Know the hoods are different from what I've read, but wasn't sure about the cabs themselves.:confused:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks