• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Catastrophic Ibis Tek tow bar failure; snapped like a twig.

I purchased one of the *new* surplus Ibis Tek (black)44,000 pound tow bars to aid in recoveries (was never used). We were using thisto tow a 5 ton tractor with a transmission problem off base for a later in the day flatbed tow. Bought 4 trucks and got three safely operational. Bought the proper brackets, read the operation instructions and started to flat tow.Everything rolling easily in neutral and had both air lines hooked up andworking for brakes. We never made it past 10mph and 2nd turn the leg extensions snapped like toothpicks at the first 90 degree turn at an intersection. Both legs snapped clean off just beyond the pinned joints. Nothing was bound on the truck...we were just attempting to move it about 3 miles. I was driving behind the two trucks and noticed some light front tire skidding that is fairly normal of any flat towed vehicle entering a turn, but nothing abnormal. I will be posting some detailed pics in the next day or two of the carnage, but pretty pissed that my new $500 *investment* lasted less than a minute, and possibly providing a caution statement for others who may plan on using this as a backup. If I did something wrong, I would also like to know and pass on the info...???

At least we had a safe recovery and got 4 decent trucks, just venting about thetow bar. Now that it is broken I can measure the hollow shaft dimensions andrun some factor of safety numbers myself, and send some pics to Ibis Tek.

Edit Add: 2512-100-001 NSN 2540-01-577-3683 44,000 pound MEDIUM.

Last edited by a moderator:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Changed the color so I could read it.

I purchased one of the *new* surplus Ibis Tek (black)44,000 pound tow bars to aid in recoveries (was never used). We were using thisto tow a 5 ton tractor with a transmission problem off base for a later in theday flatbed tow. Bought 4 trucks and got three safely operational. Bought theproper brackets, read the operation instructions and started to flat tow.Everything rolling easily in neutral and had both air lines hooked up andworking for brakes. We never made it past 10mph and 2nd turn the leg extensionssnapped like toothpicks at the first 90 degree turn at an intersection. Both legs snapped clean off just beyond the pinned joints. Nothingwas bound on the truck...we were just attempting to move it about 3 miles. Iwas driving behind the two trucks and noticed some light front tire skiddingthat is fairly normal of any flat towed vehicle entering a turn, but nothingabnormal. I will be posting some detailed pics in the next day or two of thecarnage, but pretty pissed that my new $500 *investment* lasted less than aminute, and possibly providing a caution statement for others who may plan onusing this as a backup. If I did something wrong, I would also like to know andpass on the info...???

At least we had a safe recovery and got 4 decent trucks, just venting about thetow bar. Now that it is broken I can measure the hollow shaft dimensions andrun some factor of safety numbers myself, and send some pics to Ibis Tek.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to hear that happened and good thing all are safe.

I thought these tow bars are only for hmmv applications?

There has to be a reason the military dumped them all and I know they had trouble with the "tan" ones. Many of the ones on GL that were used that I saw in pics had white spray paint with a lower limit maybe 32K if I recall.

Gunzy

This is why I have the heavy duty bar. I don't think a 5 ton would ever bother it. Of course it takes 2 men (strong men) to use it. Hope every thing else is OK for you.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm wondering if you have the HMMWV tow bar.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like something happened that shouldnt of. Wherer did you get the towbar from? Im sure Ibistek will send you another if you got it from them.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After reading the 7 year old SOU 08-015, it sounds like the IBIS TEK tow bar PN 2509-400-001, is for HMWWV use only.

1. Use of IBIS TEK tow Bar Part Number # 2509-400-001, Cage Code (1SC69) is only for HMMWV to HMMWV applications.

YMMV

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have one of those bars too I havent used it yet but thats kind of scary. Were you using axle clamps or tow feet? I think if I use mine I will have someone in the cab steering after hearing about your experience. I did flat tow a 923 with my 931 tractor today I have a gladhand to gladhand airline and I just used chains but I had someone in the cab steering and braking and we went very slow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks