• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Catastrophic Ibis Tek tow bar failure; snapped like a twig.

Looks like it's heading back to Ibis Tek: "Tim,We were forwarded your inquiry regarding the Ibis Tek TowBar NSN 2512-100-001. We have had a few reports of failures when the Tow Barwas used as an extraction devise. We would like to have the Tow Bar returnedfor our analysis through our RMA process. We will keep you advised of ourfindings."

Last edited:

o1951

When I look at the pictures, it seems that this weld had less than optimal penetration at the coupling. Contrary to the good penetration on the tube, the segment with the red dashed line seems to show an area with no weld, and the rest seems to show very shallow penetration.

When I was taught to weld, we were told that the metal around a good weld will fail before the weld. When they did the guided bend tests for our certification, on proper coupons, the metal broke near the weld. The heat of welding slightly weakens the metal near the weld.

I was typing while you posted #41. The response from Ibis is what I hoped for. It indicates they are company that is going to do the right thing.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That thing is aluminum tube??? The tube looks a lot thinner than a steel medium tow bar, and the military bends those up on a regular basis. Thanks so much for the safety warning, I will stay away from these.

Csm Davis

I have broken hunter towbars before but wasn't easy, between 2 wreckers and treating them very badly. I have one of these and am now worried was only going to be used for moving tractors or less because I felt that it wasn't as strong as a hunter now worried about moving my cucvs with it. Will be asking for clarification on the Army side as to safety notification.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any updates?

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used mine to tow another 923 about a month ago. I had to tow it on the road and over some rough terrain. Not the first hiccup. And before anyone freaks out, my wife was sitting in truck #2 after the tow to help steer through a narrow gate. Pictures coming.

Last edited:
It was replaced... But it was like pulling teeth, and took this long. I guess I am happy to get it replaced, but the problem areas look the same in my mind, not sure if there were any "upgrades" or "improvements". I took some pics, but they were pretty poor in regards to close ups...I will try and get some better ones. I am not going to lie: I don't think I will be using it on my bigger stuff anytime soon. And, if you think you are going to go through the same process as me to get one replaced, please send me a PM to chat and I will give you some advise.

Carlo

I assume I have the same for it's labeled the same weight limit. In the past I used my the full my APC 432 and had no problems. You all know the stress that's put on a tow bar pulling a tank but I'm in the weight limits.

jesusgatos

I purchased one of the *new* surplus Ibis Tek (black)44,000 pound tow bars to aid in recoveries (was never used). We were using thisto tow a 5 ton tractor with a transmission problem off base for a later in the day flatbed tow. Bought 4 trucks and got three safely operational. Bought the proper brackets, read the operation instructions and started to flat tow.Everything rolling easily in neutral and had both air lines hooked up andworking for brakes. We never made it past 10mph and 2nd turn the leg extensions snapped like toothpicks at the first 90 degree turn at an intersection. Both legs snapped clean off just beyond the pinned joints. Nothing was bound on the truck...we were just attempting to move it about 3 miles. I was driving behind the two trucks and noticed some light front tire skidding that is fairly normal of any flat towed vehicle entering a turn, but nothing abnormal. I will be posting some detailed pics in the next day or two of the carnage, but pretty pissed that my new $500 *investment* lasted less than a minute, and possibly providing a caution statement for others who may plan on using this as a backup. If I did something wrong, I would also like to know and pass on the info...???

At least we had a safe recovery and got 4 decent trucks, just venting about thetow bar. Now that it is broken I can measure the hollow shaft dimensions andrun some factor of safety numbers myself, and send some pics to Ibis Tek.

Edit Add: 2512-100-001 NSN 2540-01-577-3683 44,000 pound MEDIUM.
Wow, sorry to hear about that, but at least nobody got hurt. Cool that they replaced it, but dunno if I would trust one of those either after reading this thread. If you want to replace it with one of our medium-adjustable towbars, we'll give you 1/2-off?

TehTDK

Where I live its illegal to flat tow ANY vehicle without a driver in the towed vehicle. And I personally think the material thickness in that telescopic tube is rather thin and flimsy, from what I can see on the pictures posted. I am equially impressed that Ibis-Tek simply sent you an matching towbar with no real modifications etc, but I guess that might be why the US military decided to scrap them all and perhaps find another supplier....

davesgmc

I just found and read this tread. just wanted to add, that I have one of these tow bars and used it a couple months ago to tow 2 different vehicles. First one was a cucv, towed it 14 miles from old house to new house. cucv had all drive shafts out, it towed beautifully behind my 98 ford f150, even up the huge long hill. The second vehicle was a BTR152 russain armoured personel carrier. it weighs about 18k is a 6x6, towed it with my big ol elmo 5 ton truck, same thing, no problems at all. thats probably the fastest that btr has been on the road in,,,well forever. about 55 mph or so (thats my story and i am sticking to it). there were several turns and a real sharp turn into the driveway and around the yard to position it in the barn. Tow bar worked great. One thing i noted that your smaller inner legs are hollow? mine are solid steel. not sure if that made a difference or not.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Dave, any way to get a weight on your tow bar? I've got one but have been leery about using it. If I could determine my legs were NOT tubes, but solid steel, that would put my mind at ease.

davesgmc

yeah, lemme see if i can get motoboy to dig it out and weigh it torrow. BTW, that squirrly SOB just changed a clutch out on a deuce almost by himself, i only helped him get trans lined back up to put it in. He can sure do stupid things(like take somone elses motorcycle out in the woods and get it stuck/stall it out) and do great things, lie change a clutch with NO maual, noone telling him what.how, to do any of it.
oh, tow bar weight, yeah, i will get that tomorrow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks