• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Catastrophic Ibis Tek tow bar failure; snapped like a twig.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Dave, any way to get a weight on your tow bar? I've got one but have been leery about using it. If I could determine my legs were NOT tubes, but solid steel, that would put my mind at ease.
Gimp yours, mine and Dave's were all out of the same lot and were all the same weight.

The last time I was over there he wanted to start putting all the parts bikes together and may let him after they get the shop straightened out. Just to be safe I'd give him all the parts except for the tires and wheels!

davesgmc

tow bar weighs 62 pounds according to my bathroom scale. here is a pic of it being used with the btr being towed by my f150 moving it around the yard.
btr.jpg

acme66

I contacted Ibis and got a response. I was asking specifically about part # is 2512-100-001. This is what I got:

Hi Ken,

The Ibis tek tow bar you are asking about was designed and tested for Military Off Road Use Only and is NOT intended for on road highway use.

Thanks,

Stacy

Stacy Flick
Manager OEM/USG Sales
Ibis Tek, LLC
220 S. Noah Dr.
Saxonburg, PA 16056
P: 724-431-3020 F: 724-586-6010 C: 724-504-7850

Since off road military use is much harder than civilian use one would assume it is up to the task but it is also clear that they are not taking ANY liability. Not sure what use this is but here is is straight from Ibis. So... I guess I still need to find a heavy bar.

Ken

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Its aluminum and much easier to transport and operate than a steel bar. Everything has its trade-offs. I think its a decent product I have not gone far with one though.

red

From what I've read in other towbar failure posts it seems to be an issue of having the steering secured when the towed truck is on super singles. When Gunzy towed my old m35a2 on 395's with his m923 using a heavy towbar, it snapped the smaller bolts on the shackle mount of the deuce during a turn on pavement. Replaced the bolts, removed the strap holding the steering wheel, and the deuce behaved after that.

dmetalmiki

From the bulletin issued, they are to stop use of the Ibis tow bar. That is enough for me to steer clear of them. The use of the other medium duty and heavy duty bars are obviously the way to go. I have a heavy duty bar, doubt it will ever break. The only drawback is the weight. I think I would rather deal with the weight than a failure that could potentially get some one hurt or worse.
Absolutely agree. Just an opinion, but that bar just does not look all that strong to me.
I use the long and short medium and heavy tow bars. And for dual tows the (hollybone) Tank bars. Heavy,yes. But Safe.
Looking with interest for the response from Ibis Tek though..

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Looking with interest for the response from Ibis Tek though..
Per post #63:

[h=2][/h]
I contacted Ibis and got a response. I was asking specifically about part # is 2512-100-001. This is what I got:

Hi Ken,

The Ibis tek tow bar you are asking about was designed and tested for Military Off Road Use Only and is NOT intended for on road highway use.

Thanks,

Stacy

Stacy Flick
Manager OEM/USG Sales
Ibis Tek, LLC
220 S. Noah Dr.
Saxonburg, PA 16056

Since off road military use is much harder than civilian use one would assume it is up to the task but it is also clear that they are not taking ANY liability. Not sure what use this is but here is is straight from Ibis. So... I guess I still need to find a heavy bar.

Ken​

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

Hi Ken,

Thanks,

Stacy

Stacy Flick
Manager OEM/USG Sales
Ibis Tek, LLC
220 S. Noah Dr.
Saxonburg, PA 16056

Ken

I sure wouldn't trust it on any roads in your neck of the woods. I couldn't imagine that lil hill going towards Kalispell out of Plains. My ex father in law hates hauling logs up it. broke a u joint near the top of it one time, had to bring my old 5 ton to the rescue.

acme66

I figure off road use for the military could include overloaded and stuck trucks, massive loads. But then all the cornering is on dirt and that makes a huge difference on side loading. Sounds like that is when theses let go, cornering on pavement. IDK, sure is a lot of doubt out there about these, can't seem to find a consensus.

Ken

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
From the damage picture it appeared that there was excessive sideways force on the bar. The way it broke was not from pulling straight apart.

av8or

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have towed a number of M916 & 920 as well as 5 tons most of the tows were over 1000 miles with no failures. Like the light weight very much!

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've used one a lot I trust it enough that I would pull my hemett with it.
Just don't know how the two front steer tires would feel.

MDSA

My nephew is a SSgt in the Marines, 9 years experience as a diesel mechanic and recovery operator with two tours in the Middle East. He hates those ibis tow bars. Nuff said.

acme66

My nephew is a SSgt in the Marines, 9 years experience as a diesel mechanic and recovery operator with two tours in the Middle East. He hates those ibis tow bars. Nuff said.
Could you ask him for more details so we can try and put this to bed?

Ken

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Duckworthe

Could you ask him for more details so we can try and put this to bed?

Ken

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
I was just looking at these Medium tow bars and just got off the Phone with IBIS TEK. Asked her for the right adapter to connect to my LMTV as the pins that are with it are to large. Quote "These are not to be used on the FMTV trucks. It is not sold with the adapters to hook to the FMTV because they are built to attach to the HMMWV and the MATV only. Do not use it to pull FMTV trucks."
Sooo.... I will not use it on my truck.
Hope this helps.
Eric

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
That's weird the M1078 (16,000 lbs Curb weight), is almost 11K lighter than a MATV Curb weight: 27,500 lb. Sure they knew you were asking about the 44,000lb bar and not the 17,500lb bar. In the IBIS Tek tow bar kit it comes with the feet for an MVTR .

dmetalmiki

Reading all these posts (sometimes) gives me the shudders. I was (at one time) a recovery mechanic, (Armour and wheeled),
We (as a unit(and I)) NEVER but never used Equipment I did not the know the USE for which it was intended or NOT Known to me. Applies to ALL lifting winching and towing devices.
Who read my addendum (in this post?) on "driving down hills". ('the only way to keep out of trouble'.(is NOT to get into it in the first place".)
So, WHY use (RISK!) a piece of (unknown spec) equipment as potentially DANGEROUS as an Incorrect Towing device?.
"should I, could I, mebb'e, perhaps!". NO. that's it. non negotiable! NO.
The device FAILS, you have a MONSTER on the tow, the monster F off on it's own, You want to imagine any further??
For the GRIEF possible in this scenario, FOR ALL concerned, for...years to come!.
"Oh HOW I just Wish I hadn't"...TOO LATE!.............(only) know you know, "oh"! "It AIN'T strong enough"...Perhaps it was NOT? meant for that application.
Insurance? AND consequences, Don't even go THERE.
So, IF this post prevents even ONE "newbie", unqualified, or inexperienced operator (in our hobby) Causing or having a SERIOUS (and preventable?) Mishap. OR ANYONE else for that matter. well, More than..O.K. ok.
My M62 Wrecker crane truck. Carries.
Medium V Tow Bar. (LONG)PINS CHANGED every 2 years. IF used.
Heavy V Tow Bar (SHORT) DITTO.
Heavy V Hollybone Tow bar. HEAVY VEHICLE - TANK. And Ditto.#
Chains blocks and Pulleys, ALL SWL marked, and checked.
Speed when Towing? NEVER 50-55!! (never mind the 'heavy' stuff)'.
LIGHT towing 2000 rpm. That's it.
My (more than) 3/4 penne'th. O.K. Be safe Folks, and enjoy your possessions, PROTECT yourselves OTHERS, and the hobby.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks