• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Catastrophic Ibis Tek tow bar failure; snapped like a twig.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
How about some pictures of these, Heavy V Tow Bar (SHORT), Heavy V Hollybone Tow bar. HEAVY VEHICLE - TANK in the WRECKER thread, Thanks.

I agree with EVERYTHING you have said, If there is even a maybe thought the NO.

dmetalmiki

I will take pictures when we move the vehicles, perhaps this weekend, as the wrecker (typical) is right at at he back of "Que" right now. And Allthough pronounced "hollybone" the correct spelling for the British Tank Bars is, HOLLEBONE , After Colonel Hollebone who invented them.

acme66

I think the issues stem from experience with three different bars, the light duty one with the failures, the light duty replacement and the medium duty bar that looks like both if them. Ibis made it clear that their medium duty, 44,000 bar is still safe and in use in off road military recovery situations but they disavow liability in civilian operations. A gentleman is going to ask a current recovery service relative for specific current realtime info on the medium bar. I am trying hard to get away from anecdotal information from either for or against so that actual conclusions can be made. I would like anyone with a vested interest to include part numbers of the bars they are referencing so we can make educated choices. Fear them all is no more helpful than use them all when it comes to things like this. So far I have info from two confirmed medium duty users who report reliable use. I have ibis who says it is super strong in military off road use and a picture of what looks like a medium bar with catastrophic failure. If people without personal experience could "keep of the radio" we can put together enough information for all of us to make safe choices.

Ken

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the bar that Coffey1 and I have used to pull multiple 923's and LMTV's flawlessly. I personally pulled a 923 through the mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina without the first problem. I'm using a Hunter 1" foot bushed down to the smaller 7/8" pin on the IBIS for both the 923's and LMTV's.

20160601_203920.jpg 20160601_204124.jpg

jasonjc

I had feet...they are still on the truck, we pulled the pins to drop the dragging bar ends. I am not sure I would even be able to turn 3 degrees without a joint at the bumper clevis attachments.

Hypothetically, lets say the whole bar was mounted statically with no joints on either end....even then, it should not fail at half the rated load. The "joints" simply make the turning transition smoother, the forces at those failed joints would not change much. A single leg of a 44,000 pound *rated* bar should be able to take the entire pulling load of a 20,000 pound truck and still have an ample amount of "factor of safety" left over.

I'm late to this , I know.

I'm not understanding this about the joint at the bumper?
" I am not sure I would even be able to turn 3 degrees without a joint at the bumper clevis attachments." "lets say the whole bar was mounted statically with no joints on either end"

The bar should not turn or move side to side at the bumper only up and down. Its should be solid like a trailer. Or am I just reading this wrong or not understanding some thing??

And Ibis saying they are for off road only , think about that. Off road means dirt. The front end of a truck would slide a lot more easily on dirt than pavement. Thus there will be a lot less stress on the tow bar. Just saying this to get people thinking. Just tossing some other points of view out there.

I've got an old pre MWO med tow that I've used to tow 5-ton's 200-300 miles work perfect. Cranetruck borrowed it to pull his 8x8 and broke both end off testing it in a field because the adapters were on upside down. He had the end welded back on and it's work fine for many tows. I now have some of the new med Hunter with the MWO.

rakhav

Where I live its illegal to flat tow ANY vehicle without a driver in the towed vehicle. And I personally think the material thickness in that telescopic tube is rather thin and flimsy, from what I can see on the pictures posted. I am equially impressed that Ibis-Tek simply sent you an matching towbar with no real modifications etc, but I guess that might be why the US military decided to scrap them all and perhaps find another supplier....
i saw a humvee getting towed by an h1 using the ibek tow bar. the humvee had a driver in it turning the steering wheel as the h1 made turns.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks