• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CBR Metalworks M920 hauler 'Mad Max'

Since this truck looks like it came straight out of Mad Max, I figure that is an appropriate name for it. I picked it up Saturday evening from a guy that lives about 2 hours away, he met me halfway with it, I had briefly looked at it a few weeks prior but had not really checked it over much. For the price I paid I couldn't really complain though. Odometer reads about 9k miles, rear 8 tires are like new, the rest have good tread as well (all the factory tires are in for sale section).

I had bought a M915 and was going to put a deuce bed on it, went to pick up a NICE deuce bed my brother-in-law had spotted on the side of the road with a for sale sign on it two days after I bought the 915. The guy with the bed told me about a military truck down the road from him so I rode down and looked at it, turned out to be a M920!

I originally figured I would just stick with the 915 because I thought GovLiq prices would not get to where I would want to be at on a 916 or 920 (especially after buyers premium, going to get it, not knowing much about it, etc). I bought this truck cheaper than most (probably all) 920's I have seen on GovLiq recently, and only had to drive an hour to get it.

Overall it is in pretty good shape, he had it wired in parallel so it would not start back when I got it home (he said he had to jump it off so I am guessing he may have jumped it as 24v I am not sure). Is there a way I can check to see if it is a 12v starter or not? I am assuming it is not because wired for 12v it won't start, wired for 24v it will start (but still sounds slightly weak). I have two new 8D batteries I am going to put in it. It does need some bulbs replaced, headlights, taillights, as well as a good vacuum on the interior.

The CAT 16 speed shifted great, I would prefer a full auto or a full manual, but I can live with it.

MY PLANS:

16.00r20 Michelin's on HEMTT wheels (already have a full set of wheels/tires)
Deuce bed (sat it on today, two bolts in it)
I eventually hope to get a military low-deck trailer (or lowboy maybe), but until then I will leave the bed on it so it is useable as a regular truck, and if I ever need to flat-tow something home this will be the truck I use.

IMG_20140105_093357_336.jpgIMG_20140106_123722_484.jpgIMG_20140106_123733_784.jpg

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Once you get proficient with the CAT transmission you'll love it until you have to work on it. Very few CAT techs have ever seen one and very few were use in civy applications except in scraper pans. Parts can be hard to find but we have a CAT tranny guru here (RJracing) I think is his avatar.
They do look pretty tough with a cargo bed. The super singles will really make it stand out.

Scott88M

I loved driving 915s with the CAT transmission when I was in. We drove long haul over the road and had very few problems with them. That looks great with the deuce bed and I'm dying to see it with super singles.

Thanks. I don't think the CAT transmission is necessarily hard to drive, I guess I just like the quicker acceleration the 915 had. The extra gears will definitely be helpful if/when I ever tow a really heavy load with it.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it will look better if you remove the helper axle. That's what Floridianson did.

I think it will look better if you remove the helper axle. That's what Floridianson did.
I thought about removing it, but I think I am going to leave it because it is a convenient place to store spare tires, and the extra weight might help the truck ride a little better than without it. I will raise it up and weld some hooks on it to chain it up so that the air compressor won't have to pressurize the bags every time I start the truck up (I will block off air to the lift/lower valve). That way if I ever need a spare I will just raise the axle, jnhook the chains, then drop it down and remove the tire.

I can honestly say it is a pain in the butt to put HEMTT wheels on the front of a 920. Some might say it doesn't take much grinding, I will say although it might not seem like much it takes quite awhile. The lip has to be ground off, then a section has to be ground for clearance of the valve stem (pictured). It would be MUCH easier if you had access to a huge lathe you could put them in, but since I don't have access to a lathe that big I got to be real good friends with a 7" grinder.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get some of the rear tires put on, I have a gun show to go to this weekend and would like to drive the 920!

IMG_20140108_140156_160.jpgIMG_20140108_172754_673.jpgIMG_20140108_153906_738.jpg

Go figure none of the parts stores have a Budd socket, but harbor freight has one that is included in a 3/4" drive deep impact set. $50 (after tax and 25% off coupon), which is probably a much better deal than buying a single socket elsewhere.

So, after getting the socket to make my life easier, I got to working on putting on the rest of the tires. Got all the rears on, but ended up taking the one on the drop axle off before I took the truck for a test drive. I will have to make some stops so the tires don't hit the bottom of the bed, that and/or trim the bottom section on the bed.

The truck drove good, at 35mph on the speedo my GPS showed 40-41mph, the big 400 Cummins had no problem with the size increase. I am gonna bet even though the tires are bigger, the weight difference is probably not much different than running duals, maybe lighter even. I need to get one more HEMTT wheel, that or use 5-ton combat wheels on the drop axle for spares, although they might stick out too far and look odd.

IMG_20140109_142832_136.jpg

BillabongKong

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome!
I looked at the before and after, It now looks proportionally correct with the 16's!
Great Job, Drive safe.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks