• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CBR Metalworks M920 hauler 'Mad Max'

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
How do you plan the back stays of the a-frame, the crane is going to be in the way unless there is room to get to the frame behind the crane, if so the strays will be awful close to the a-frame, not giving it much hold back when the stays are taking the load for a heavy lift tow?

20141227_160444.jpg

Ron, I am not sure what you are talking about with the stays, I really don't even know where they go, but I am not modifying the MK15 unit any, just adding a box in front of it. So it will all still function the way it was intended.

How do you plan the back stays of the a-frame, the crane is going to be in the way unless there is room to get to the frame behind the crane, if so the strays will be awful close to the a-frame, not giving it much hold back when the stays are taking the load for a heavy lift tow?

I like the concept. But with the box on the back were are you going to put the stuff you lifted with the crane?

I really don't use my wrecker much to go haul stuff home, but if I absolutely needed to I would just haul a trailer. I mainly use it for lifting stuff around the house when working on other trucks. I want it to be capable to flat tow or lift tow a truck home if I so desire, towing with an 800 or 900 series wrecker is just plan slow in my opinion, they are way too underpowered and overloaded.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The stays support the a-frame against the load on it with a lift tow, In stock configuration, two 1/2" chains (the stays) go from the shackles near the top of the a-frame to the lift rings near the front of the flat deck head wall bins. In your configuration, the box is in the way,

From the -10, it looks like the stays would interfere with using the crane at the same time as the a-frame/winch. the stays are also needed when the winch is used because the a-frame contains the fairlead. so ANY lift tow or winching operation REQUIRES the a-frame/stays.

Last edited:

R Racing

I really don't use my wrecker much to go haul stuff home, but if I absolutely needed to I would just haul a trailer. I mainly use it for lifting stuff around the house when working on other trucks. I want it to be capable to flat tow or lift tow a truck home if I so desire, towing with an 800 or 900 series wrecker is just plan slow in my opinion, they are way too underpowered and overloaded.
Gotcha! ! I use my JD 710C to do most of my lifting because it's a royal pain to get everything unhooked on my m816 so I understand.

The stays support the a-frame against the load from it with a lift tow, In stock configuration, two 1/2" chains (the stays) go from the shackles near the top of the a-frame to the lift rings near the front of the flat deck head wall bins. In your configuration, the box is in the way,
guess I will have to figure out something else if that is the case, I'll make somewhere to attach them

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
guess I will have to figure out something else if that is the case, I'll make somewhere to attach them
MK 15 rear 'A' frame is a kind of a goofey arrangement ... I am sure you can improve on the chain stays so as not to worry about it interfering while using the crane at the same time or your container by looking at the HEMTT wreckers stinger setup and make the frame/fairlead support a permanent structure. Does it have to be that high so the winch cable clears the folded crane??? Haven't seen the TM for the MK 15.
...sketch pad at the ready! : )

Tornadogt

I Like it Carry On.... Have you thought of attaching the S280 with container locks like Sunny does with his bed modules on the Femmet. Then you can remove it and maybe add other items like a flat deck or anything else you come up with..

I want to do something like that with my M916. I want to strip everything behind the cab and add 4 container locks at each corner. I would like to build a 5th wheel module with winch, Flat Deck with winch, and a camper module possibly using a S280 or short cargo container. Maybe a Dump bed module and Wrecker module.. Added with the idea is to modify a M1061a1 trailer to accept the same modules.. this would let me carry one module on the truck and tow a 2nd behind the truck on the trailer.. I am thinking with my project the modules would be between 12-14 feet long.. perfect for the M1061a2 trailer which has a 14ft flat deck..

I thought about container locks, but the problems:

1:S280 does not have container locks
2: I plan to have a pass-through from the cab to the box (the door on S280 will be removed and framed to go from cab to box), so that would require more work to make it removable.

I don't really plan to use this truck for long trips just to pick up little stuff, not cost effective for that. If I need to move something I will just sit it on a trailer.

Side note I may be getting a M1084 (MTV cargo truck with material handling crane) so if I fall in love with it, that may be what I use to go pick up 'stuff'

Tornadogt

I thought about container locks, but the problems:

1:S280 does not have container locks
2: I plan to have a pass-through from the cab to the box (the door on S280 will be removed and framed to go from cab to box), so that would require more work to make it removable.

I don't really plan to use this truck for long trips just to pick up little stuff, not cost effective for that. If I need to move something I will just sit it on a trailer.

Side note I may be getting a M1084 (MTV cargo truck with material handling crane) so if I fall in love with it, that may be what I use to go pick up 'stuff'
Sounds like you have a plan... I would love to get my hands on a knuckle boom all the messes I could get myself into[thumbzup]a

Got a couple toolboxes mounted and the exhaust relocation started, I will probably remove the heat shield off the muffler as it won't really be needed. I was able to use 3 existing frame holes on each side of the frame which was nice. Driver side box is less than an inch from the fuel tank so there is no wasted space there, the upper mount hole on the rear bracket does not have a bolt in it, nor will I be able to drill there (crossmember in the way). I will probably just weld a stud onto the frame for it. To use the existing holes in the frame I had to drill new mount holes in the box about 3/4" further out, but that was MUCH easier than drilling two holes through ~1" of frame/crossmember! The box on the passenger side was moved further forward, used two existing holes for rear bracket and one hole from the exhaust bracket for the front, I drilled the upper front hole.

20150102_152907.jpg20150102_155336.jpg20150102_152928.jpg

Trying to think of a good way to run the hydraulics off a pony motor instead of having to run the truck engine every time I want to use the crane. I have talked with a guy that has a near new ~19hp 3 cylinder Perkins Diesel out of a small excavator, trying to figure out if it would be enough to run a pump.

I know a direct drive might be best, but my next thought was to put a pulley on the back of the engine and run a pulley on it. My thinking it have the pony motor serve multiple purposes:

Run hydraulics
Run a small generator head for power (maybe 3-5 kw, just enough to run the RV A/C unit and other small things, even if it won't run it all at once)

Might be best to just get a small military generator and adapt the hydraulic pump to it?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or a military gen with an electric power pack for the hydraulics. Then if you are using it in the yard just run a cord and no fuel burned or loud noise. I love those step/boxes. What are they off of?

Yea that was a thought as well (electric pump), but i am not sure I could find a pump that a ~5th electric motor could run that would run the hydraulics.

The boxes are for the newer m916's. I bought them off of GL, I sold 4 and kept 4. A friend would probably sell 1-2 of his for ~$300 each. A box of similar size is about $400 without brackets.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks