• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chronicle of a tan M1101 trailer purchase from GovLiquidation.com

1stDeuce

WHat size pintle hook did you need? 5 or 10 Ton? It look slike a 10 ton but will a 5 ton work also?
FYI, the 101 series and 1101/2 series trailers use a 3" lunette, while most of the smaller commercial pintles are designed for a 2-1/2" lunette ring. The only drawback when doing this is that the 3" ring will occasionally bind in the smaller pintle if you're turning sharply and backing. Usually they are OK going forward. Nothing really wrong with towing them on the smaller pintle, so long as you're aware that they can bind, and you make sure it doesn't bend your hitch if you do high angle turning. A little grease on the outer edge of the ring seems to help some.

As for ratings, it looks like the 2-1/2" lunette is most often rated 5 ton, or 10,000lb. The 3" lunette is 26,000+. I think even the 10ton rated pintles are really designed for a 2-1/2" lunette. Some say, most don't. I think you need a 26,000lb+ pintle to properly work with the 3" lunette without chance of binding.

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

I picked up a M1102 from Atlanta today & everything hooked up perfectly, except the trailer plug. The reason for that is the Toyota Tacoma has a flat trailer plug & not the military one (a harbor fright towing light package fixed that). The 16K pintle connector worked great over the 320 mile recovery trip with no problems other than the ocassional weird noise when going over bridges that were concrete sections. The trailer is mint except for the removed tie down points for the canvas cover. It backs up eaiser on the Toyota than the AM General Deuce because you can see it to back it. What a great addition to the collection!

1stDeuce

I picked up a few trailers back in August at Ft Bliss. I took off the military tires and wheels and sold them and installed some 285's on gm aluminum wheels. In doing so, I pulled off the stabilizer legs to install them on the rear and use the tongue jack to lift the trailers off their tires for the swap.
Behind the pad on one landing leg was this padded envelope, and when I opened it, it contained the TM on CD!! Sweet! I guess that means these trailers saw VERY little use. :) They were 2009 trailers...

IMG_4166.jpg

FloridaAKM

The M-1102 I picked up in Atlanta had the very same CD in a bubble wrap envelope under the landing leg. Poping it into the computer showed that it was the complete TM on the trailer with everything you want or need to know.

jimqbaum

Thanks for the post. A Big help in my decision to go after one. Any ideas on what winning bid $ amounts are? Or where a reasonable winning bid should Be?

Amer-team

Have run into a licensing glitch here in WA. I got 3 of the M1102 trailers awhile back. Getting the SF97 from GL was no problem. I went to our county license office and two of the trailers went through, with no problem. One of the 1102's and an M101A1 came back as having the same serial number of trailers that are previously registered in WA. The lady told me that the Dept. of Licensing computer would not let these be registered with that number because the computer kicks it out as being stolen. Unfortunately they only license the trailer as a two wheel utility trailer. If they listed the Model designation, we would not have a problem as they would most likely be unique. She suggested that I could go to the State Patrol and have it inspected and then they would assign a VIN number for it. I suggested that if they were willing to pick up the 65 dollar fee, I would be happy to do that. Will go back and visit with the lady on Monday or Tuesday and give an update.

On another note, I have received the state title on one of the trailers that I licensed and have not received the second title yet. The lady at the license department asked me about that when I called her Friday to check the status. This may indicate that there is a problem with one of the first two trailers. It appears I am stuck in the fringes of the computer doing it and no real live persons being able to fix it when there is an issue. The lady at the Licensing office has been great and is trying to figure it out.

maxtor

I licensed three M116a3 trailers and one M1101 trailer. The only problem we have so far is that one trailer registration came back as a two axle trailer. I still have to work that out with DMV. One of the trailers had a duplicate vin number of some other trailer, here they did not think that it was a problem, and sold me license plates for all four trailers. They said because of the short vin number, there are many utility trailers that come back as duplicates.

Amer-team

Thank you Maxtor. Will try to use that angle if the people can't get me fixed up in normal channels. It appears that we need someone to work with that actually knows how the system works when they have something out of the ordinary. In WA, if there are multiples of the same vin number, it pops out as stolen. The lady told me that if I was pulling the trailer and got pulled over, it would come up as stolen on the State Patrol data base. Probably not how you want your day to go.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have run into a licensing glitch here in WA.
I successfully plated my M1101 trailer I won from GL.

Why did you get so many? I only ask because as I learned firsthand, the resale market is kind of flat. I ended up doubling my purchase price selling it (which isn't why I bought it; I really wanted to keep it but ran out of room) but the 12V rewire and registration bit into that a little.

Amer-team

Well it was one of those days when the bids were placed and everyone else was looking the other way. I wanted one. Bid on the one you want, but hedge your bets with a couple of other bids in case you don't get the nicer one, and then you get them all. Will get the others licensed and trade them off for something else. They are all 1999 and in great shape. Wish I would have gotten one with a top, but that was not in the cards. I went with the adapter previously mentioned in this thread and the signals and lights all work great, a bit dim, but that can be fixed by putting 12V bulbs in. I did buy chain quick connects and fixed the length of the safety chains. Also have put the smaller 16.5 tires off my Dodge ambulance on and that drops bed height down.

maxtor

We decided to alter one M116a3 into a wood hauling trailer, and another into a trailer we will be using for pulling behind our Jeep while we do exploring. The last one will be put up for sale. We are keeping our M1101 also for general hauling.

P1010285.jpgP1010256.jpgP1010180.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks