• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chronicle of a tan M1101 trailer purchase from GovLiquidation.com

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you looking to change rim/tire size to match your jeep? Sorry, if I'm missing something, I just tuned into this thread after a bit.

You can get loads of surplus 8 bolt HMMWV rims that are designed for the trailer... HMMWV wheel offets are somewhat unique so take note of the offset differences for any new wheels you decide on =)
That was going to be my next question. Can I put a regular tire on the split rims? Can I buy a used set of H1, H2, or H3 rims that would work?

If I could put some 30" tires on the trailer it might sit much closer to the Jeep's height

clutzer

Got my trailer April 2nd and continued with it up into Canada. I squeezed through Canadian customs holding my breath.

I used the wiring adapter harness and all the lights are working well enough for me. There was a slight burning smell coming out of the axle or brake areas after prolonged use (I towed the thing 500 miles so far). Have to track this down... The e-brake handles are definitely not engaged ;-)

Otherwise, there is minor scratching and a minor dent which is why it was surplussed I suppose. I have to find some matching CARC paint to touch up those areas.

I put the bow and tarp kit on--I absolutely hated that job. You have drill into the metal bows and put in self tapping screws. I'm tired, ha ha.

Anyway, so far so good.

Attachments

clutzer

That was going to be my next question. Can I put a regular tire on the split rims? Can I buy a used set of H1, H2, or H3 rims that would work?

If I could put some 30" tires on the trailer it might sit much closer to the Jeep's height
The wheel is a 16.5" diameter rim, 8.5" width. You can put any tire you like on it. BUT, your choice for the 16.5" wheel is extremely limited =(. You probably want to hunt around for a rim size that gives you more options for smaller tires.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
UPDATE on mine: I sent in the SF97 application right after I brought the trailer home, so March 24th or 25th, and charged my account on April 3rd. We'll see how long it takes.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got an email today that the titling documents went in the mail today, with a USPS tracking number.

I can't complain, that's pretty fast service (and it's my first SF97).

I wonder if I can get a plate with just whatever they're sending or if I need the WSP to inspect the thing first.

Amer-team

Take a look on the WSP website under inspections. They will tell you what you need. Usually a newly titled vehicle or trailer is going to need an inspection. For a trailer it should be fairly painless.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The WSP site is somewhat vague on the subject:

One-time fee to verify the vehicle identification number (VIN) when registering an out-of-state vehicle in Washington for the first time

One-time fee for WA State Patrol inspection of salvaged, rebuilt, or homemade vehicles
Out of state?

Nothing else fits.

clutzer

Ha ha: something keeps getting messed up with the billing for my SF 97 so I still don't think they've started processing my request. Arg. Regardless, my trailer made it through Canadian and U.S. Customs without title, registration, or plates. I know I'm extremely lucky to not have been hassled by this :)

I discovered an interesting problem with my trailer today: I always knew the passenger side Handbrake Lever assembly was bent, but didn't think it was a problem. It was! Because of the bend it wouldn't fully disengage the brake and resulted in the slight burning smell, and an extreme amount of heat being generated in the hub and center portion of the wheel after prolonged towing.

At a rest stop in Montana I torqued on the lever and bent it back into shape as best I could by hand. I then assertively pushed the levers into the upright position and test drove 10 miles. My hubs were nice and cool: problem solved. Phew. I was starting to worry that I had a bearing issue, but it was simply a dragging brake issue.

I've updated the OP to include some test procedures that I should have done when I picked up the trailer initially; Had I followed them, I would've avoided dragging the brake(s) 500-700 miles. Sigh.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, the email came yesterday (11 April) but apparently the paperwork didn't actually get into the mail until today:

Your Item's Status Your item departed our PHOENIX, AZ 85043 sort facility on April 12, 2012.
This morning, 13 April:

Your item was processed through our FEDERAL WAY, WA 98003 facility on April 13, 2012 at 1:27 am.
Same day, just checked again:
Your item arrived at 5:51 am on April 13, 2012 in SILVERDALE, WA 98383. The Postal Service expects to deliver the item on Friday, April 13, 2012
Your item was delivered at 12:09 pm on April 13, 2012 in SILVERDALE, WA 98383. The item was signed for by XXXXXX.

Last edited:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...and just like that it's here. All in all about 21 days from the time I clicked the button on the GL website to my door.

Attachments

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went down to the DOL this morning and transferred the title which will come by mail in about six weeks. Now I have to figure out where and how to mount the little license plate on the trailer, preferably without drilling any holes. It lightened my wallet by $56, but it will be a lot easier to sell the trailer with it licensed and registered already if I ever decide I don't need it.

There was no inspection required.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wandered around the local home center and found this Simpson Strong Tie AC4Z. I figured if I bend it over, it'll hold the plate just fine. While I was there I picked up a can of Cammo Tan paint so the license plate bracket would match the trailer.

Attachments

Amer-team

Good deal, no inspection. I have 3 or 4 different trailers that I don't have that nice government document, so I will probably have to get them inspected. The airborne equipment trailer I have had for probably 12 years now, guess I should get some paper on it for the reasons you stated.

clutzer

Mainsail, I love your license plate mount. I am going to 100% copy you. What is your local home store, Home Depot? I found that bracket on Amazon for $7.38...

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think I paid more than about five bucks for it. Any home center (Lowes or HD) or building supply store should have them. EDIT to add: It only works with the little motorcycle sized license plate. When I registered my trailer they asked me which one I wanted. What? I have a choice? OK, I'll take the little one.

Bend it and fit it up first, drill the holes, THEN paint it.
The chromolly frame is hard on drill bits, and harder on self tapping screws. Pick some up GOOD self tapping screws (you can't get to the back side) while you're out. I didn't feel like going back out for them so I just used some cheap ones and ended up snapping off three screwing them down. That means it's an ugly mess of extra holes and broke off screws if you look up under mine.

Last edited:

rsbanker

This has been a great thread guys. Thanks for the information and pics. I'll certainly leverage the lessons learned from your efforts when I go to pick up mine.

clutzer

I notice that the adapter harness link is broken. I can't find the original seller or product on eBay, but this seems to be another adapter that does the same thing. I can't vouch for its correct function however, so I just include it here as FYI.

Ack: I guess we cannot post eBay links to equipment, so get on there and search for "Military Trailer Adapter Harness". Thanks for the heads up for all who set me straight: I haven't been on here in a while.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks