• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cHucv Soup: The animal to be

ODw/envy

For reasons I don’t wish to discuss, I have decided to rehome my deuce. It sickens me to say it, but I will be going to an M1009. I will be selling the F-250 too. My new charge will be my primary transportation for the foreseeable future. I have an M101A3 that will be staying as well.
My intention is to set the cHucv up right the first time. And never look back. The little 6.2 will need to do daily duty (haul the rodents and the mail) and retain reasonable off-road prowess. Additionally, it will be asked to drag around the M101A3 with variable loads and in adverse but reasonable conditions.
Jack and Josh at Jack’s Government Surplus will be doing the deed, as it were.
The setup I am looking at, as of now, is as follows:
Former Border Patrol M1009 with A/C already aboard
Turbo conversion
12 volt conversion
1 ¼ Ton Axles
3.73 gears
Carriers front and rear (I should be able to reuse the Detroit in the rear and may pony up the dough for a True Track in the D60)
295/75R16 tires (33.2 in tall) on factory wheels
Springs?
I will likely throw in some equipment to monitor the little 6.2 and tranny as well as burn a little metal to mount a Warn 8274.
Dual 34/78 Yellow tops. I know, I know, but I have had a lot of success with them.
This combo should put RPMs at 2450 at 65mph. Stock appears to be roughly 2150. With the turbo I feel this should be a reasonable compromise for my purposes.
Why not re-gear the stock axles? I don’t like the corp 10s. I do want 8 lugs. I don’t like the gov lock. Lastly, from time to time I have a heavy foot and have broken better hardware in lighter, less powerful vehicles.
I am looking for the savants of green to chime in. If you have practical experience with any of this or a noteworthy anecdote or droll quips please share.
If Jack approves I will make this a build thread. I am dropping the deuce off tomorrow and will get pictures of the to be Frankincense monster then.

wayne pick

Great sounding build, Recerch that 3.73/Detroit locker combo though, you might end up breaking that little ring gear. It would be an interesting alternative for M1008-1028-1031 owners who want highway gears and not have to do a 700R4 swap. Kinda wish my 1031 still had the TH400 in it and be able to run the highway at reasonable speeds.

ODw/envy

I appreciate the vote of confidence. I am not too worried about the 3.73 ring and pinion. The GAWR for the 14 is 8600Lbs and I have grownup a bit. Well I haven't broken an axle in a long time anyway. :-D I suppose I could go to a higher GR but I worry about sacrificing power.

I am curios how the rig will perform at highway speeds with a load.

wayne pick

What turbo setup are you going with? Rumor has it that the banks out performs the 6.5 GM8. The Banks is a little pricy, you could put togeather a 6.5 setup on the cheap, there's allways someone selling one. Your 6.2 will be a completely different engine with a turbo and should perform well with the TH400/3.73 combo. I hear you on the stock axles on the 09, they seem a little wimpy for a military application. The 8 lugs and meaty tires will look great on that 09.

Motomech

Out of all the M1009's that Jack has, what made you pick this one. Was it just because it had A/C..... or no rust issue's? I think this one pulled me over once!!:(

I'm a big fan of 09's on 1-ton's. Sorry to hear the Deuce has to go.

ODw/envy

Moto

I am relatively ambivalent in reference to the specific vehicle. This truck is relatively strait, has A/C (the wife and rodents care, I don't), and requires few vehicles to be moved to access. I suppose the fact that it only has 23,xxx miles is a factor too. He has trucks with 20xx and 10xx miles also though.

donalloy1 that is correct. One in the same.

Sorry for the slow reply. I had to reread the SS rules. Apparently, it is more beneficial to delete my posts and give me "infractions" than ask me to clarify myself, or have me modify my posts. There is a "mod" with a personal vendetta out there so don't be surprised if I never finish this thread.

Hey where is the dunce cap smiley? Maybe I should change my avatar.

Last edited:

ODw/envy

I think the thickness was the issue. For those that don't know, as you progress to either end of the spectrum, for a given carrier, you either reduce the size/width of the pinion/ring gear or vise versa.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Moto

I am relatively ambivalent in reference to the specific vehicle. This truck is relatively strait, has A/C (the wife and rodents, care I don't), and requires few vehicles to be moved to access. I suppose the fact that it only has 23,xxx miles is a factor too. He has trucks with 20xx and 10xx mile also though.

donalloy1 that is correct. One in the same.

Sorry for the slow reply. I had to reread the SS rules. Apparently, it is more beneficial to delete my posts and give me "infractions" than ask me to clarify myself, or have me modify my posts. There is a "mod" with a personal vendetta out there so don't be surprised if I never finish this thread.

Hey where is the dunce cap smiley? Maybe I should change my avatar.
If YOU HAD read the forum rules AND followed then when you posted NON-MV ADs in the classifieds and did not have "for trade" in the ads (no TRADE or MV was mentioned in ads), you would NOT have gotten the warnings and REREAD the rules. Not my job to hold AD posters hands, NOT my fault a few out of many do not want to follow the rules.

That is CRAP, I treat EVERYBODY the same from a 1 poster to a 20,000+ poster, even MODS and ADMIN have been dinged, NOBODY is special, My JOB is to keep the Classifieds running smoothly, not turn into the old classifieds, The SS classifieds is not CL, EBAY, the local FISHWRAPER, the PENNY SAVER, ect., It is very simple, If you do not want to follow the RULES, DO NOT post ads

Ron, Classified MOD, Just so everybody knows who the MOD is.

Last edited:

ODdave

And for those that dont know........a 3.73 ring is thicker than a 4.56........

Yes you brought up the issue about using the same carrier for both sets but you cant put a 3.73 on your 4 series carrier anyways so the relevance of the "thick" 4.56 ring is exempt.

ODw/envy

No. What I said was, when you hit the far end of either spectrum either the ring gear gets thin or the pinion gets small. That is why the carriers change.

Trying to clarify. Not be insolent.

ODdave

Yes, I know. But I am just clarifying, The 3.73 gear is thicker in the direction you described, I just mesured them, it is roughly .030 thicker. Just trying to help out with some of the miss information that is posted on here way to frequently.

Last edited:

ODw/envy

Aahh! A kindred spirit and a stickler for details. That was my point, though you addressed it more succinctly than I. I do appreciate the expertise of the brethren of the green.

Twas I who defended the lolly 3.73, wins this discussion started.

Truly, thanks for the input ODdave.

ODdave

I have 3.73's in my 28 and love it. When it had the 6.2/400 it had 3.73 with 34 in tires and I thought it was a great compromise of power and speed. You will be happy with it.

My next biuld I want to run a 61/70 combo with 3.07 gears and see what I can do for mpg's

wayne pick

Huh? I am confused why you would say this? Ring gear is still the same diameter as the 4.56..........
Sorry Dave, I should have said weaker 3.73 ring gear. A friend of mine did a ZZ4 350 conversion on his S10 pickup and broke two 3.73s untill he changed to a 4.10 or 4.11 rear, I don't remember wich and I don't know why going down a relitivly close ratio would make a difference but it did. I also question the 3.73s strenth locked up and turning large tires in a severe condition. All im saying is the 3.73 will break before a 4.56 will. I work in an industry where bigger and stronger is allways better, guess thats my mindset.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks