• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cHucv Soup: The animal to be

ODw/envy

wayne pick

I went up to my friends junk yard today, same place I found my rebuilt 82 C code "red' block and found two 27 spline NP 205s, yea behind TH 350s. Do I feel like a complete moron.aua

ODdave

I went up to my friends junk yard today, same place I found my rebuilt 82 C code "red' block and found two 27 spline NP 205s, yea behind TH 350s. Do I feel like a complete moron.aua
Na, a moron dosnt absorb knoledge, they shun it. Feel smarter insted, you learned something and remebered it.

ODw/envy

I here by found the moron; no wait, the Dunce Republic.

Here are a few more pics of the donor.

The previous owner converted her over for camping. There is a suburban A/C unit. The front seat pushes forward and leans back. The T-case shift lever has a clevis that can be removed and allow the seat to move forward.

Also the TH400 and 1 Ton NP205. Dual fuel tanks and exhaust.

Pictures follow.

Attachments

ODw/envy

Ummmm. yea....... If you want to approach me with a condescending attitude I don't care to deal with you or your someone. sorry man

If you don't allow for human mistakes then I have no time for you. I did in fact mean to type 203.

On another note, if, for some reason, you would like to clarify your tone I may be willing to talk.

ODdave

Wow. I didnt aproch you with an additude. What I ment by it was sorry about the fact its not a 205, not that you said it wrong. I have provided you with support and information throughout this thread and your going to jump my azz about something??????????? Since when did it seem like I was on your bad side about something????

Not gonna lie, Im a little irritated in YOUR tone. Good luck with your biuld.

ODw/envy

I cut and pasted your response and added a few words.

I have appreciated your input. If you read my post you will find that I open the door for rebuttal.

The internet is toneless. Make sure you are clear. If your are irritated at my tone, look what I wrote.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been watching this thread closely. Respectfully, I must say it kinda reminds me of that old "Dallas" TV series with all the mind games.

I decided to chime in because I don't believe the J-code 6.2 will support a turned-up turbo for very long. The cast crank and bottom-end structure wasn't designed for boost, and that's why the engine evolved into the current-era configuration. I am of the opinion that if you want more reliable horsepower, you should simply replace the engine with a modern 6.5 turbo unit. I can say this from experience; I purchased a brand new 1985 SRW 1-ton diesel Chevy truck and wasted no time in installing a new Banks turbo. I wish I had that $3,000 back. The increase in power was minimal even with the pump turned up. And up a long incline grade I had to back off due to excessive EGT. I drove that truck for 10 years and the engine was absolutely worn out when I sold it.

So when I started my M1028 rebuild I decided to improve air flow through the engine instead of adding a turbo. I added a fresh forced-air supply to the air cleaner and plan to install Stan's headers with low-restrictive exhaust. With the cost of diesel fuel approaching $4 a gallon, I am looking for economy, not power. And with my 11.00/20 NDT, my truck turns 2391 RPM at 65 MPH.

I'm sure there will be many who disagree with my build stategy, however I don't believe anyone should expect a kid to do a man's job. The J-code 6.2 was not designed to be a turbo power-house, and to think otherwise is just inviting problems.

Hope this helps.

ODw/envy

Cropper,

Who killed JR. Love the reference.

Yes I wish all the superfluous stuff were deleted and only the facts remained. Have to keep it honest though.

Is it your assertion that a moderately tuned 6.2 turbo is doomed to an early demise? I would not find it hard to believe and, in fact, am concerned my self. It occurs to me that other lesser built engines, with higher tuning, have flourished under less strenuous use. I recognize the weakness of the crank as a limiting factor.

10 years seems reasonable; mileage not withstanding. Was that very conservative use, or did you hammer on it a bit?

Can you further define or add pictures of " a fresh forced-air supply"?

The level of boost is relevant here. What might be presumed as acceptable with regard to the longevity of a 6.2? Surely making your own atmosphere and, in effect, making the engine more efficient is desirable on some level. If she will blow up even under conservative use I may approach my build differently.

Do you find 2391 @ 65 comfortable? Under what conditions? Are those 4.56 gears?

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OD, no it is not my assertion that a moderately tuned 6.2 turbo is doomed to an early demise, as there are a substantial quantity of these units running the roads today and providing good service. The point I was trying to make was, GM did not design this engine to be turbo'd. And based on some SS member's posts, they are striving for as much boost as possible and as much fuel to burn as necessary to produce maximum horsepower. It's sorta like trying to pump 10 gallons of water per minute with a 5 gallon pump.

I can still remember the disappointment I had in 1985 when I first drove my new K30 civi with the brand new Banks turbo. The unit was installed and tuned by one of the best diesel shops around, and it still didn't produce the power I had envisioned. Maybe my expectations were too high. If I remember correctly, by the time I bought the turbo kit from Banks and paid the diesel shop for installing it, I had invested approximately $3,000. And I can remember thinking the next day that I had wasted the money. Indeed, the turbo provided additional power to tow on long inclines, however in my opinion, the return did not justify the investment. For not-much-more than the cost of purchasing and installing a new turbo on a 6.2, you could almost pick up a low-mile later-model 6.5 with turbo.

During the 10 years I ran that 1985 K30 civi, I took it easy with no hard off-roading. I serviced the engine according to GM recommendations, however after the first 2 or 3 years the engine began using a lot of oil (no it was not leaving through the turbo). An old GM Master Mechanic explained to me then the same thing I am trying to explain now.

There is a 4" knock-out in your radiator frame which is there to accept a fresh air duct. You can modify your air cleaner to accept the 4" hose by obtaining the correct transition piece from a junk yard. I found one already fabricated by jdeoliveira74 on this site and bought his. I haven't got it installed yet because I am in the middle of rebuilding my IP. I will post photos when I git er done.

Because the NDT tread provides extremely low rolling resistance, my truck rolls along at highway speeds with surprising power. I expect the power to increase a little when I get the headers and low-restrictive mufflers on. Yes I have the factory 4.56 ratio, however the 44" tall NDT tires offset the low gearing. On a 2-day road test last year (my truck has been in the shop since June 2010), I actually rolled several miles on a slight decline with my foot off the pedal. So to answer your question, yes I am extremely comfortable with my build theory.

As soon as I get my IP back on and get her back on the road I will post some follow-up data.

Hope this helps.

ODw/envy

I appreciate the first hand account. I look forward to a follow up. I too have considered a 1008 +/- on NDTs. I like the concept and think that build shows real ingenuity. Very practical.

My vision for this 1009 in a 6.2 + turbo tuned conservatively. If it blows smoke (within reason), it is probably over tuned in my case. I am trying to focus on optimization. The turbo in question is a pull out from another vehicle.

It has been my experience (limited) that most NA diesel engines can benefit from a little more air. Max boost has no relevance to me. If I wanted fast I would have bought the 3/4 ton Blazer for sale locally with a 427 small block. Or better the ZZ4 with a blower. Cool but not practical for me.

At this point I am leaning toward the turbo, 3.73 gears, and Th400. If she is well monitored and well maintained do you think the 6.2 will be long lived? Conservatively tuned of coarse.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"At this point I am leaning toward the turbo, 3.73 gears, and Th400. If she is well monitored and well maintained do you think the 6.2 will be long lived? Conservatively tuned of coarse"

OD - sure, if you drive conservatively and don't try to drag race the corvettes, your rig should last a lifetime. I believe the problems start when you expect more from the engine than it was designed to provide. My final suggestion would be to evaluate the costs of your plan against the expected results (return on investment). If you have the financial ability to go forawrd and desire to do so, then have at it. However having the previous experience stated earlier, I am looking forward to a high-efficiency naturally-aspirated engine.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can assist your efforts.

Mike Gresham
Paris Kentucky

ODw/envy

Yeah, your info helps. I want it well mannered and practical. I won't be rock crawling or drag racing in the least. I want reasonable highway manners and good off-road prowess. I am seriously considering the OD tranny swap.

Researching the 4L80E at present.

Trying to forget that I have an NP205 and NP203 in the driveway.

ODw/envy

Trying to forget the temptation to do a 203/205 doubler.

What I really need to do is figure out which 4l80e will be easiest to swap. '99 and up diesel 4X4 I think. Considering the 208.

The 205 I have would need to be machined to accept the request 32 splint input either way; If that were the route I decide on. Could do a Klune V + adapter but that is getting pretty fancy and $$$$.

ODw/envy

It has been a little more than a month sense I have written an update. Quite a lot has happened in that time. We have only been able to commit a small portion of time to the Blazer but we are making progress.

I dug here out of the pile early one morning about 2 weeks ago. We had to move several things to clear a path (I am glad I did not pick one in the back). I checked all of the relevant fluids and added some dihydrogen monoxideto the radiator. Everything else checked out. Next go in the fresh batteries.

Cross of the fingers.

Hit the key.

Click

Click

Nuttin

Rob a relay from a neighbor. Re-crossing of the fingers.

Hit the key.

Blat. Whop, whop, whop and plume of ugly, but black, smoke.

Less the fact that 4wd (probably the hubs) doesn’t work, she runs beautifully and shifts as she should. It did take a tire and some air once she was out of the stack.

By the way Dave, I love the new avatar, it is a classic. That and "The Great Outdoors" hit my top 10 favorites.

Here are some pics. More to come.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks