• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cHucv Soup: The animal to be

ODw/envy

TruckHead, The frame and cab are spoken for. That would have been perfect for him. I would have loved to see the truck go to a fellow SSer. Oh well.

Mad Scientist, Isn't it entertaining to think that your truck is once-again sitting in front of mine. What a circuitous set of circumstances.

Jack tells me that the your old truck is going back in the stack where mine was and your A3 will be joining the yard soon. With Josh in Africa for two weeks, I imagine it will take some time though.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ODw/ : I'm in no hurry. Fortunately the A3 doesn't need much : new top, new tires, put my old 109 box on it. Probly see ya round the neighborhood 8<)

ODw/envy

I inspected and cleaned the Yorks. They are both better than I expected. They are both 210s (10.3 cubic inch), so it looks like my OBA project will be on track. Both of the stators work and both pump plenty of air. I think I will be using the Volvo unit, as it has the short flange mounts and is a 2001 model. That is not to say the 40 year old unit wouldn't do a fine job. Given the same fittings I would us it instead. I do prefer the stator on the newer pump too, but they are interchangable.

Attachments

ODw/envy

These fuel filter adapters came in the mail yesterday. I am going to clean them up and use them to replace the stock unit.

Ebay is another site my wife is threatening to ban.

I am planning on using a Racor style filter setup for two stage filtration. It is lucky that the OEM civvy 6.2s had a dual spin-on filter setup available.

Anyone have a suggestion on a primary and secondary filter? I was thinking five micron on the primary and one micron on the secondary. Anyone have an alternate idea in mind?

Attachments

ODw/envy

Well Jack is all piled up with work so I drug the M1009 home yesterday. Today was a bit of a long day. The parts are piling up, and now, finally, I am getting something done. The K5 lost her front hooves and gained some schwarzenegger-esque legs in front. Wouldn't you know, the second I pop the diff cover the monsoons start. Gotta love the high desert.

Anyway, a few pics.

Attachments

ODw/envy

Did a little compare and contrast of the Dana 60 and Corp 10 for the uninitiated.

The Blazer fires right up still. I have the swap on the run. Tomorrow I will convert the axle over to DOT 5. Change the oil and, if time allows, do the DH relay mod. I would have completed the axle swap today but 3 hours of anti-corrosive coating removal, and 2 hours of rain got in my way. Also I had to order a brake line. Someone had rounded off the nut on the D side K30 and I had to cut it when removed.

Also the new air cleaner set up I ordered courtesy of PSC. I got it used at a substantial discount.

I decided to use the 1 ton springs. With the un-sprung weight and the 200 lbs or so of winch and adapter I think it will be a good idea. I left the stock shocks for the time being; may go to the k30 LATER.

Attachments

ODw/envy

Well, things did not go quite to plan today. I did get the Axle swap completed and the oil changed. The majority of the day went to rebuilding the calipers and waiting for the new brake tubes to come from Phoenix.

I suppose the :doghead: mod will be next week as will the rear axle swap.

Now I will need to acquire a front drive shaft from an M1008 (direct bolt in replacement). The rear will need to be custom.

The front Dana 60 swap is fairly strait forward.

A few notes;

The upper brake-line mounts were not the same.
DOT 3 fluid is soluble in denatured alcohol (thanks Jack!).
For a factory height truck the front drive-shaft will need to be shortened (M1008 or similar should work).
The boarder patrol does not change oil.
The boarded patrol does not run wiring properly (more later)
The front brake lines on the 10 bolt and D60 are VERY different.
The turning radius has improved substantially.
1 ton springs add a bit of height to the front suspension. Notice the reverse rake in the pictures.

The ride with the factory shocks and 1 ton springs is great. It is very stable when running over boulders the size of my head.

A pair of yellow top Optima's arrived today. No pic but custom battery treys and dual side mounts to follow, eventually. Amazon had an offer of $155 each shipped. They seem to do it twice a year on the 34/78 yellow tops. Who could pass that up?

Pics

Attachments

Last edited:

2002ford

I like it. I will be doing this in the spring to my m1009. I have to get another set of axle though. Someone offered me to much for the one`s out of the USS Minnow. We will see.

ODw/envy

Thanks for the vote of confidence. '02 ford.

It has been a busy couple of days. I rebuilt the dodge D60 I bought a couple of weeks ago (did I forget to mention that I bout another D60?). The inside had some moisture damage (not serious), but much better than the Chevy axle. The brakes were toast so I bought the brackets to do a disc conversion. I also bought heavy duty shock mounts and heavy duty spring perches. Hardware courtesy of Ballistic Fabrication.

The perches will add a touch of lift, say 1" and are beefy.

As you will see the discs brake brackets are beefy too and made from .375" steel. I had to get creative with the torch though. Most guys cut them off strait but I wanted to do something different.

I used the stock (JB6) calipers from the M1009 (refurbished of course). I think this will give me a balanced brake set up without the need for and proportioning valve. Isn’t Google wonderful.
I had hoped to get the rear-end installed today, but I got distracted. More on that later. Tomorrow, a little sanding and some Rustoleum flat black.

Attachments

ODw/envy

What distracted you OD, you ask? Well this did.

The fella that bought the K30 frame and cab from me still owed me a substantial amount of cash and just happened to have this hanging around.

A little bartering talked him out of it. He will keep the engine and essential hardware.

The important part? Guess that tranny!

The build thread has taken on a tangent. More later. BTW the fluid looks nice.

Looks like 4.10s and a Yukon Grizzley in the rear and an ox in the front. For those interested, I intend to build the Chevy D60, but she needs a bit of work and I want to get the beast set up and rolling.

What about an E brake, you say? Well, I am considering the Eldorado calipers or perhaps an SYE and T-case mechanical brake. We'll see.

Attachments

ODw/envy

A little sanding and painting completed. I need to build the custom spring packs and do the plumbing, then she'll be ready for here temporary home.

The tranny swap is going to delay the diff install though.

It is as pretty a 28 year old rear-end as I have ever seen, I think.

Attachments

ODw/envy

I tried to get some anatomy pics of the Civy 6.2. Feel free to employ them as you wish. I have more views if you need something specific. I hoped to get a few of the TV cable installed but that thing is hard to get a shot of.

Attachments

ODw/envy

More pics. The TV cable bracket. A bunch of unbolting, pulling, and tugging and expletives. It is harder to remove an engine when you have to cut nothing and save everything. BTW, That little 6.2 is heavy. If you pull one be sure your hoist and stand are up to the job.

The little diesel headed back to it's owner.

The gutted donor.

The 700R4 NP241 combo.

The CUCV posing as a yard dog.

Attachments

ODw/envy

I am robbing a lot of parts off of the civy dig, including the interior.

Gear indicator (need D321)
visors
rear seat
passenger seat side frame
assorted hardware
gauges
I robbed all of the relays and sensors
May use the top

I really like the passenger side seat setup; more accurately my wife really likes it. What does that mean for me? Well I had to "section" part of the donors floor (more later).

I am considering having the 700 built and running the NP205 with a twin stick setup. It sure is pretty in there, even if she is 40 years old.

Attachments

Last edited:

ODw/envy

I removed the Stanadyne fuel filter unit today and started on the custom mount for the dual filter setup. This was used in 82 and 83 civy 6.2s. The factory locations are as follows. The primary goes where the CUCV element mounts. The problem is that the secondary goes on the back of the intake, a pain to get to.

I am modifying the CUCV mount for both housings.

For filters, I used Napa part numbers,

FIL 3123
FIL 3124

On a side note, I hope I don't get in trouble for using off-road diesel. Apparently that is what the Boarder Patrol was using when they parked it.

Attachments

Last edited:

ODw/envy

I also did the DH relay mod today.

I don't mean to mod the Mod's mod but I added my own touch.

I prefer to pull the plastic off the crimps solder and apply heat shrink. Say what you will, but I never have faulty connections. This makes them very tough and moisture resistant.

By the way if you are new at this, running a butane torch under a dash panel may not be a good place to start.

Attachments

BigRix

My you have been busy.

I was under the impression that the floor on the pass side of the M1009 already had the proper mount for that seat. I'm pretty sure mine does.

That K5 looks like a gold mine of parts to mod your truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks