• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cHucv Soup: The animal to be

ODw/envy

Well I was feeling lazy and while searching CL several nights ago I found this. It is a direct replacement 14 bolt. No need to move the perches or the shock mounts. WoooHooo

Yeah for laziness.

ODw/envy

I apparently wasn’t satisfied with what I had, so I have started to amass a pile, or two, or three, or …. ok the parts for this project are getting a little out of control.

I found this the day before yesterday on CL (yeah I think the wife is going to put a block on the site in my computer).

I really wanted those 3.54 gears though and this little critter fits the bill.

Attachments

ODw/envy

I sure thought I would take a little beating for choosing a "weaker" axle for the rear. I was hoping for a scowl or some finger wagging at least.

There goes my Saturday night.

Suppose I'll go back to researching the York 210s. I'm think the OBA would fit nicely where Gen 2 used to be.

ODw/envy

She's sittin at the gate at Jack's at the moment. I have the K30 (well most of it) sitting on my trailer at the moment. I suppose, I should work on it today. I really want to open up the new Dana 60 and check the bearing surfaces, though.

I have a lot of irons in the fire on this one and not a lot of time to complete it. The turbo conversion is going to take up a chunk of time. I would not even bother but I want the boost (pun intended) in efficiency. My research, so far, shows 5-10 psi and +/- 1/4 turn at the IP to be a practical setup for a stock 6.2. A thicker 6.5 head gasket may allow 15 psi. I am looking for balance however, so for now the plan is stock 6.2 with a stable tune. I will have the boost and pyro gauges, but I don't want to have to eyeball them constantly on long pulls.

The perennial question, that keeps haunting me, is turbo, dual 60s, 4.10s, 35s, and a body saw; or turbo, dual 60s, 3.55s, and 285/75r16s. The prior, at this juncture, may actually be cheaper. The outlying factor is the lack of traction modifiers and the unknown condition of the rear 60 (The backlash seems high). I could live with an open front, for a while, but I'm not sure I'd remember how to drive a one wheel drive truck anymore.

I'm having flashbacks of being stuck behind the barn, on a shallow grade, with DEW on the grass, spinning the tires helplessly on an '86 one wheel drive Ford dually, with the 6.9 humming out a lurid cadence. Queue the 1980’s, teenage horror flick, axe-murderer chase scene, but not really running, scary music.

Either way she’ll likely end up with a locker in the rear (Detroit/Grizzly) and a limited slip (TrurTrac) in the front.

Then there is the problem of tire selection in Florida. Sticky mud and sugar sand, are you kidding? I’m leaning toward a KM2 or Xterrain with 8-10 psi. Hopefully, with the winch and OBA, I won’t be sitting stuck too often.

But, I digress.

Last edited:

ODw/envy

Welcome to "Things I Don't Want To See In A Donor Rear End Theater".

Your host ODw/disgust.

Can you identify the maleficence in these photographs?

Attachments

ODw/envy

Yeah it will be fine. The rest of it is in great shape. The axle splines are bright, but strait and not sharp. The wheel bearings are tight. The brakes where like new, before it sat. The housing is nice. The wear on the 1970 gears is close to perfect. If not for the water damage and run-out, this thing would be a runner.

I am glad I broke it down. I'm fairly confident that it would have over-heated on the highway. Plus the carrier bearings are shot. It is good practice to crack the cover on a donor axle. It can save you a lot of time, money, and aggravation.

Here are few more pics.

Attachments

Last edited:

ODw/envy

Pic 1: The D60 full floating hub.
Pic 2: Pretty 32 year old splines
Pic 3: The D60 open carrier next to a custom D35 Detroit 30 spline carrier
Pic 4: Interestingly the custom D35 has the same splines as this D60
Pic 5: Nice contact pattern
Pic 6: Comparison of an FF axle (right) and a C clip axle (left)
Pic 7: Same as above but flange side.

ODw/envy

For those interested. This is a 1970 Dana 60. It was available on C/K series trucks from '68-72. It was replaced after 1972 with the 14 bolt by GM.

It has 7 bolt flanges, instead of the 4 bolt flanges common under ford and dodge vehicles. After '72 they were found under Jeep J series trucks until the end of production (around '88 ).

It has 30 spline axles was typically geared 4.10 or 4.56.

Last edited:

ODw/envy

I opened up the "new" 14 bolt today to take a look and get it ready to sell. The ring gear is stamped 1978 and this thing looks the way a diff should. Notice the color of the fluid, the lack of corrosion, the nice wear pattern, and, what you can't see/feel, the lack of run-out. I almost hate to sell it, especially after seeing the side by side comparisons.

Attachments

Last edited: