• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cHucv Soup: The animal to be

ODw/envy

That is a good observation. It occurs to me the your friends problem was likely due torque multiplication, or perhaps a lack thereof.

I seems to me that higher gears (numerically) effectively have a reduced load on the ring and pinion. while the opposite could be said for the axles, wheels and tires. At least from an effective gear ratio stand point. Obviously, Tire width, inflation pressure, tread pattern, driving style, ect. will have a profound effect on a given "load moment".

I understand this observation to be common in drag racing circles. Lets hope I avoid the tracks and temper my use of the loud peddle.

ODdave

Sorry Dave, I should have said weaker 3.73 ring gear. A friend of mine did a ZZ4 350 conversion on his S10 pickup and broke two 3.73s untill he changed to a 4.10 or 4.11 rear, I don't remember wich and I don't know why going down a relitivly close ratio would make a difference but it did. I also question the 3.73s strenth locked up and turning large tires in a severe condition. All im saying is the 3.73 will break before a 4.56 will. I work in an industry where bigger and stronger is allways better, guess thats my mindset.
Ok, makes more sence now. Your comparison was of apples to oranges. The 7.5in 10 bolt is a far cry different than the 10.5in 14 bolt. Im pretty shure no mater what you do to a 6.2 its not gonna hurt a 10.5 no mater the ratio.
7.5's on the other hand......well, that was a discrace to GM...

wayne pick

That is a good observation. It occurs to me the your friends problem was likely due torque multiplication, or perhaps a lack thereof.

I seems to me that higher gears (numerically) effectively have a reduced load on the ring and pinion. while the opposite could be said for the axles, wheels and tires. At least from an effective gear ratio stand point. Obviously, Tire width, inflation pressure, tread pattern, driving style, ect. will have a profound effect on a given "load moment".

Oh my friends truck had many "load moments" allright untill he calmed down with the new toy and stopped breaking driveline parts. Ladder bars helped keep the axle from uncontrolably chattering up and down. That truck was sick fast. He took his wife for a "ride" in it-once, she didn't speak to him for a week. LOL.

ODw/envy

Found a donor K30 and I am headed to Phoenix tomorrow to pick it up. It has 4.10 gears.:neutral: Oh well, nothing is perfect.

Now I have to decide if I want to take the trouble and swap in an OD tranny. I would love an NV4500 but I am not going that route. I don't have the time and don't want to spend the money.

After much research I think the only viable option is the 700R4 (built up a liitle).

It would cost me almost as much to re-gear and I would get more benefit of of the trans.

To complicate the issue I have these sitting next to the shop.

I may just leave it alone and sell the parts.

ODw/envy

I would do it right and it is tempting with the 4.10s and the NP205.

Are you running 4.56s. How do you like it overall.

I had an '86 ford 6.9l dually with a T19. Loved the truck. Hated 60 mph on the highway. Wish I had fixed the servos and put in an OD and kept it.

wayne pick

Yep 4.56 gears. I love it, I can run this truck on the highway with no problems. The 700 and 4.10s is actually a better combo as first gear with the 4.56 gears is almost useless in my truck. You do know the 700/205 is not a bolt up conversion right? you will need to install a 32 spline output shaft in the 700 to mate it to the 205 and a TH350 to 205 adapter/trans mount. A torque converter lock up controller and an external fan driven cooler. You probly know all this, but I figured i'd mention it anyway. A lot of guys say "Oh i'll just throw a 700 in it" It's not like that. I like the idea of an OD trans, but I just don't trust the 700 no matter how beefed up it is, Mine cost me nearly $1800 to build up. Im in the process of aquiring a 27 spline 700 and an NP 208 to make a quick swap out if need be.

ODw/envy

Yeah, I "know" most of the issues. That just happens to be a TH350+adapter+NP205. A spacer and other associated parts and I should be on the road. I would likely find a 6.2+700 donor and have the tranny built.

I just don't know if I want to fiddle with it.

ODdave

Yep 4.56 gears. I love it, I can run this truck on the highway with no problems. The 700 and 4.10s is actually a better combo as first gear with the 4.56 gears is almost useless in my truck. You do know the 700/205 is not a bolt up conversion right? you will need to install a 32 spline output shaft in the 700 to mate it to the 205 and a TH350 to 205 adapter/trans mount. A torque converter lock up controller and an external fan driven cooler. You probly know all this, but I figured i'd mention it anyway. A lot of guys say "Oh i'll just throw a 700 in it" It's not like that. I like the idea of an OD trans, but I just don't trust the 700 no matter how beefed up it is, Mine cost me nearly $1800 to build up. Im in the process of aquiring a 27 spline 700 and an NP 208 to make a quick swap out if need be.
I am not trying to nit pick, but huh? 32 pline output to fit to his 205? The 205 I saw in the pictures is a 27 spline.... same as a 700r4.

wayne pick

OD, I didn't know a 205 came in a 27 spline configuration. Are they as common as the 32 spline case? I was assuming he was using the 205 more common to our trucks and more easily aquired through MV circles. Finding a 27 spline case would by far simplify a 700/205 swap.

ODdave

All th350 205's had 27 spline input shafts. easy to tell from the outside if junk yard hunting too.

4 bolts in a square pattern where the trans meets the cast iron adapter = 27 spline

6 bolts in a circle where the trans meets the cast iron adapter = 32 spline

8 bolts where the adapter meets the trans in a figure 8 patern (manual shift) = 10 spline

85 & newer, all where 32 spline LONG input shafts identified by a large circular 6 bolt pattern where the adapter bolts to the transfercase, all pre 85 transfercases (three types mentioned above) have 8 bolts in a figure 8 patern where the transfercase meets the adapter.

GM 205's ONLY (dont think dodge & ford info is nessisary here)

Hope this helps.

2002ford

Question?

I hope I am not Hijacking this but I was thinking about the 700r4 swap. Would 4.10 gearing and 33 be a good combo. I was thinking 456 was to steep for all around driving.

Thanks,
Doug

wayne pick

Thanks Dave, My head is spinning with all this tranny/transfer case swap stuff. I would never give anyone bad info intentionally, just relaying what was done to my truck regarding my 700 swap. Don't want to hyjack an interesting thread here either. Thanks for the info, i'll probly use it in the next few months.

ODw/envy

I found this lurking on CL the other day, which led me to spend all day in Phoenix yesterday. I picked up a few things while there (may as well take advantage, sense I already bought the fuel).

The radiator and the 454 are in a Chevelle, but it is otherwise complete.

I would, shamelessly, mention parting this here and in the classifieds, but, as it is not an MV and I am not interested in trades, that would get me banned. I might be able to brake my previous record for consecutive "infractions" if I did though (<7 min). :p

Anyway, here is the donor for the diffs and other hard parts.

It is kind of a shame though. It is a really nice truck. I am temped to fix it up. Well, a little.

Attachments

ODw/envy

You don't know how tempting it is, but I only have time/money for one.

Picked this up too. Should work well on the front/back. I am thinking, some sort of removable platform. Maybe attached to the clevis mounts; possibly front and rear receiver mounts.

Attachments

Last edited:

ODw/envy

Disclaimer: Never use a recovery winch for over head lifting. It is dangerous and there is a 1:10,000,000 chance the winch will fail and you will be drunk enough to stand under it simultaneously. :beer:

P.S. The winch/mount (150ish pounds) was in the back of the K30. Don't ask.

I would love to strap in a turbo diesel and 6 speed tranny. It is just not in the cards.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks