• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Code Enforcement

Dave08

Everyone is correct with their assessments. My biggest complaint now is the fact that I can not be left alone within the boundaries of my own property and left to my own business. I am contemplating a fence but do not want to be made to go through the expense of building the fence....why don't they put up a fence? This is harassment and has now got my dander up in a big way. Orionspath is right in going to the superiors. However the supposed complainant is the Executive Director which means I have to go to the Board. I am going to find out this Monday Morning and try to file either a restraining order or a harassment complaint and/or both. This is now like "War of the Roses".

Marcel

I was once told that "No Tresspassing" signs also included no tresspassing visually. I don't know if this is true but you might want to check with an attorney.

zout

Like the other biker that posted - the bike I had was also my same street drag bike I raced in the AHDRA in the Natioinals - yeah I raced at Gainesville. But I was sure I never got on the throttle at 4 am when I went to work. But as well most the neighbors come over to me when they need something fixed as well and they have come to know me.

All this code stuff - subdivision laws all get ugly at one time or other - people just like ruling and telling other folks what to do - It is becoming less and less America every day.

Keep a level head
Do not ever get out of hand while you handle this - stay calm and obide by the laws in your area.
Take every opportunity you can to "talk" calmly with the complainer first and try to handle it - keep notes of every conversation in detail - do not record anything because it is not legal.

IF what you just mentioned is your last step - then go for it.

Hold a BBQ at your place for any local members and have them bring their trucks - invite the neighbors as well and let them learn about you.
You do not have to kiss their arse - but you do not have to take their chit either.

Did you keep a detailed record of how many times you tried to contact the code officer ?

SGT LongT

Dave, I'm down in Palm Bay and will help you anyway I can. I just got my M1009 and would hate it if petty little crap like this was ruining my daily calm. I also want to help when you decide to start tearing into your MV. The mean green fighting machine needs to keep rolling :beer:

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"unregistered vehicles"
can't speak for Fla but here in Michigan, a simple "ORV" license (off road vehicle) can be used to get around that complaint, they are $16.25 a year and no vin or title required.

Dave08

well had the whole **** message typed out and lost it. Here it goes again. The continuing saga of the code enforcement blues. Showed up at City Hall, Titusville at 0730 this morning to no avail as no one shows up until 0900 or later. However, I did get an actual phone message from the Executive Director of Management and Growth stating that I could call her and she left the number. I thought no I am not going to call but I will show up unannounced. However, when I got there and asked for the Director, I was told that she was not available and had left due to a Family Situation. Wow.....I asked the assistant where I could get a job that does not require me to work and still get paid. Now before anyone out there in the forum gets upset, I have to tell you that I think that the Director was there the entire time. Why would I say that? Well when I first came into City Hall I was asked if I could be helped. I said that I was there to see the Director of Management and Growth. I was asked if I had an appointment and I replied that the Director had called me and stated that I could call her but I thought that I would show up in person. They (the clerk) asked me what my name was and went to tell the Director that I was there. The clerk did not return. However, the Director's assistant showed up. Of course I had to explain the entire situation again and he stated that he would see if the Director was in. After approximately 10 minutes he returned and stated that the Director had left early due to a Family situation as he put it. Now the Director had conveniently left early this past Friday and now left due to a family situation today. This prompted me to ask where I could get a job that I did not have to work at and still get paid ( I have been unemployed since August 2010 because our government can not sign a federal budget and hence there are no new federal contracts being awarded. That is another story) I hope for the Director's sake that she took vacation hours on Friday and today to account for the time.
I explained to the Assistant what the situation was about the complaints and how many I have received that have been unfounded. Told him one complaint was filed by a fictitious name (Mrs. Credlecamp) and another was filed using my other neighbors name. I confronted the neighbor on that complaint and he got very upset that someone was using his name without his knowledge. He went to City Hall and confronted them and had them remove the complaint in his name stating that he never filed it and that this was identity theft and he wanted to know who did it. That complaint was dropped as well. This last complaint is supposedly filed by the Executive Director herself. Now I know that she did not do a drive by on my property and state that a violation needs to be filed. More than likely, she is the neighbors friend and they called her and she filed the complaint for them. If this is the case then I would have to say that she is abusing the powers of her office and/or is violating the publics trust to execute her duties in a just manner. I do not use the term FAIR as it comes once a year and is usually held at the state fair grounds.
I hope that I do not find out that this is the case as I am also investigating whether the Director of Management and Growth is an Appointed position or an elected position. I believe that the first shots of WW III, Battle of Titusville has been fired. I will attempt to see the Director of Management and Growth each day until I have an audience.

Sgt LongT and I may have to perform some covert operations and then ask for logistical support from A/C Cages, AMX, and Goldneagle. I will keep everyone informed. One last comment on this for the day. The fence issue I agree with. However, a fence costs money and I do not have a lot of that these days. Even if I had the money for a fence I would much rather spend it on my MVs than on a fence. If the **** neighbors do not like what they see, then they can spend the money and put up a fence. I also moved my equipment around the lot this past weekend. My trailer are all backed up against my property line which is his chain link fence so that they can get a good look at it all. I have four M105A2 trailers and I am toying with the idea of setting them up on end with the tongue of the trailer pointing skyword and painting big what letters in the beds starting with an F and ending with a K with a little YOU painted underneath. However this, I am being told, would not be right. I thought it was very appropriate.
More tomorrow.
Dave08

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also....

I just GOOGLE'd your City's homepage and chased some links there.

Your "Director" is an appointee/employee, and therefore NOT elected. I would presume that she answers to your City Council and/or Mayor.

If you continue having difficulty getting a conference with her, leapfrog over her and take it to a higher authority. Do so professionally and courteously, yet with the knowledge that they ARE PUBLIC SERVANTS and YOU are THE PUBLIC. If necessary, spend some of your "free time" at a city council meeting and stand up when they ask for PUBLIC COMMENT.

Good luck

Here's the link you'll want to chase.... The City of Titusville, Florida - HOME

2cents

Dave08

Update to the saga. Nothing.....I did not do anything today but visit with family. My Mom came down from Va for a little RandR. They arrived last week and are leaving tomorrow. I thought as a good son that I would spend the full day with her and have her headed back to Va in the AM. You see....by day I am the mild mannered all American son and by night the MV Avenger ready to take on nosy neighbors and fight the UnAmerican Way of City Halls everywhere.

I will resume my battle tomorrow and will keep the updates coming! Trailer sign is still a good idea! USAFSS-Cold Warrior, thanks for the info and I too found out that Ms. Courtney is an employee. The harassment suite is also looking pretty good and I hope for her sake that she a) took official time off on Friday Afternoon and Monday afternoon to take care of her personal business and that we the tax payers did not pay for the early weekend and the family situation; and b) that she has not abused her powers in her position to promote erroneous complaints for her friends. We will see when next I show again unannounced at her office.

Dave08

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update to the saga. Nothing.....I did not do anything today but visit with family. My Mom came down from Va for a little RandR. They arrived last week and are leaving tomorrow. I thought as a good son that I would spend the full day with her and have her headed back to Va in the AM. You see....by day I am the mild mannered all American son and by night the MV Avenger ready to take on nosy neighbors and fight the UnAmerican Way of City Halls everywhere.

I will resume my battle tomorrow and will keep the updates coming! Trailer sign is still a good idea! USAFSS-Cold Warrior, thanks for the info and I too found out that Ms. Courtney is an employee. The harassment suite is also looking pretty good and I hope for her sake that she a) took official time off on Friday Afternoon and Monday afternoon to take care of her personal business and that we the tax payers did not pay for the early weekend and the family situation; and b) that she has not abused her powers in her position to promote erroneous complaints for her friends. We will see when next I show again unannounced at her office.

Dave08
OMG ! You've revealed your secret identy ! ! ! You've broken your solemn oath of secrecy! Your DeCoder Ring will now produce only GARBLED GOBBLEDIGOOP. Marvel Comics is going to scream "Breach of Contract".

What's the world coming to?

We wish you the best in avenging the evil-doing bureaucrats.

Remember, the BULLDOG's snout was an intentionally bred characteristic in these fighting canines so that once they have their prey in their jaws, they can still draw their breath through their upturned nostrils, and NEVER LET GO until the fight is won. GO GET 'EM, BULLDOG Dave08!!!!:jumpin:

A

A/C Cages

Talk to the city manager Mark Ryan. He is a really great guy and will get to the end of this. By the way he is way up and over Cortney Barkers head. The only family emergency I know that she would be having is how to make more excuses for never working. By the way, she more then likely was there.
They cant pull that stunt with me in Deltona or Orange City, I know almost everyone that works in both. Some even have been to my house.
Get friendly with those and never piss them off. They will help you out if you are nice to them.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Talk to the city manager Mark Ryan. He is a really great guy and will get to the end of this. By the way he is way up and over Cortney Barkers head. The only family emergency I know that she would be having is how to make more excuses for never working. By the way, she more then likely was there.
They cant pull that stunt with me in Deltona or Orange City, I know almost everyone that works in both. Some even have been to my house.
Get friendly with those and never piss them off. They will help you out if you are nice to them.
Very sound advice!!!

While my previous post was "encouraging", you really will get more done with sugar than salt.... just apply it with the tenacity of a BULLDOG.

Rustsleeps

Tango no palabras. En Engles: I have no words. I think that my head would explode when someone started to tell me what type or kind of vehicle that I could park/have/own. It maybe the end of the world as we know it.:(

Dave08

No Satisfaction and I am a menace to society! Went to the Code Enforcement Office today (8/31) to meet with the Executive Director of Management and Growth or whatever the He77 it is called. Was very polite but she would not tell me who turned me in to Code Enforcement. I guess because I am a menace to society they would not tell me who has a problem with me. You see, they stated that they kept the complaint anonymous because the individual who complained is fearful of retaliation from me. However, if you were to call the code enforcement hotline and try to lodge a complaint they tell you in the recording that they do not take anonymous complaints. However, Ms. Barker, the Director of Management and Growth, has determined that she has the right to change the rules based on what the complanintif states in the telephone call. I actually told her that she has overstepped her authority and that I have the right to face my accusers. I told her that in the previous complaints the complainant lied about who they were once, used a factitious name the next time and then used a neighbors name that had nothing to do with the complaint against me the last time. Now they will not tell me that it is the Moser's. The Executive Director asked me if I was going to take care of the violations. I told her that I was not in violation at all and therefore there is nothing to take care of. That I am being harassed by the neighbors for unknown reasons, that she is not allowing me to know who has filed the complaint and that my next step is to file a restraining order against the suspected neighbors and the City especially her for harassment. I then asked when the next City Council meeting was scheduled for. She stated that they would schedule me for a hearing should I not comply with the orders and I am still in violation after the 20 day period. I told her the he double hockey sticks with that and when was the next council meeting. I finally got it out of her that it is the 12th of September. I have until then to file my harrassment suite and restraining orders and then address the mayor. I am also going to start an email compaign to the mayor until he answers me. This supposed director has determined on her own that she can bend or change the rules to suite her needs and that I have to jump through hoops. I am going to fight this one. Everyone (family) wants me to just ignore it and let it go and wait until the next violation. I am tired and I believe that there will soon be a news story about a "Former Marine" gone crazy....of course this plays right into what they are claiming why they will not tell me who the accuser is. I thought that you had the right to face your accuser? I guess I can make all kinds of acquisitions and state that I am in fear of retaliation so please do not tell them who I am....just take care of him and I do not have to answer to anyone. I wish I had the funds to hire a lawyer and file the appropriate injunctions against the city. I think that I will call the news channels and get them involved as well. do not know if they will bite on this particular news story as we have the domestic violance on the uprise stories which seem more important and the mighty thunderstorm Irene taking up all the news slots.

Well, I am going to see what I need to file an injunction against the city and also a restraining order against the Mosers. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Put a Fork in me as I am done and the Pacifists have won. I am ready to leave this great nation of ours that I spent 26 years in the Marine Corps protecting as it has become a third world country and the Have Nots are taking everything the Haves own and it they can't take it then they complain about it. Do you thing that a 2.5 ton MV will drive through a cinder block home? Just asking.

More on the impending injunctions and restraining orders once I find out about the procedures. In the meantime. I will take the before and after pictures of my lot and explain what they seem to be complaining about.

Thanks for letting me vent. I do not wish this on my enemies.
Dave08

Dave08

how much influence does Mark Ryan have with Swank? I believe that the mayor has no authority and is just a figure head....am I correct?
Dave08

SGT LongT

Well first off I guess I should say even I am frustrated at this harassment and I'm just reading about it through you and not actually experiencing it. Now you were cited on 8/26 so the Sept. 12 City Council Meeting is well within the 20 days to have your voice heard before arbitrary noncompliance. I agree that this Mrs. Barker is changing things to her own agenda because this is a civil matter and not a criminal matter. Therefore you have every right to know who is accusing/complaining about your property.
1. Unregistered Vehicles: You stated earlier you were getting the M109's registered as antiques and therefore are no longer considered an "unregistered vehicle" so that should be invalidated, but they will get you later for not having them parked on an approved surface, i.e. driveway or parking pad.
2. Junk & Debris: From what I could tell from the pictures you took you could load some of your vehicle parts onto one of the trailers and move the trailers behind the house to comply with code.
3. Overgrown Grass: Get some goats and never worry about grass again :-D

Unfortunately it comes down to out of site out of mind. If code enforcement can not see any violations from the street they can't verify if codes are being violated.

bajajoaquin

I know this is going to be an unpopular post, but I think you need to take a step back, pause, and look at the situation again.

You said that you may be in violation of the grass code.
You said that you may well have articles that could be considered junk.
You have unregistered vehicles.
You have vehicles parked outside a designated parking area.

If you have had a written code violation notification sent to you, there should be specific information about which code(s) are being violated. Look those up and read them, and understand them, and not just from a point of view about how you want them to be.

Because if you go in with guns blazing, an independent party is going to say, "I'm sorry that your neighbor is a jerk, and I'm sorry that the city employee over-stepped her bounds. But you are in violation of codes X, y, and z."

Rather than focus on the shortcomings of other people's integrity, focus on where you stand with regards to the law. If you are not in compliance, it won't matter who said what. If you are in compliance, you need to remain calm, focused, and show it.

Please don't think I'm on the neighbor's side. I'm not.

EDITED TO ADD: I was typing this at the same time SGT LongT was posting. Looks like we are of a similar opinion

tbearatkin

If you finally put up a wood fence I would ensure that the side that faces the party that is offended by these works of art would be painted the most god awful color I could think of. Hot Pink or a mural of women in a bikini on a beach. I would find out what really offends them and paint that on the fence. Oh and maybe put a spotlight that shines all night long indirectly aimed at a bedroom window. Start cutting my grass or at least running my lawnmower as early in the morning as the law will allow it with little muffler on my mower. Make sure anytime they are in their backyard I would find a reason to ruin their backyard experience.

I always try to get along with my neighbors, been bit by one neighbors dog three times and still did not find the need to call the cops. They do know that the fourth time the dog will be dead and so far no issues and no need to call the cops.
Other side of me the neighbor works nights so when he gets off in the morning he has been known to cut grass at 6:00 AM. Figure its his property he can do what he wants and he does not complain when I cut my grass later in the day when he is most likely sleeping.

Dave08

Code Enforcement Woes

I know this is going to be an unpopular post, but I think you need to take a step back, pause, and look at the situation again.

You said that you may be in violation of the grass code.
You said that you may well have articles that could be considered junk.
You have unregistered vehicles.
You have vehicles parked outside a designated parking area.

If you have had a written code violation notification sent to you, there should be specific information about which code(s) are being violated. Look those up and read them, and understand them, and not just from a point of view about how you want them to be.

Because if you go in with guns blazing, an independent party is going to say, "I'm sorry that your neighbor is a jerk, and I'm sorry that the city employee over-stepped her bounds. But you are in violation of codes X, y, and z."

Rather than focus on the shortcomings of other people's integrity, focus on where you stand with regards to the law. If you are not in compliance, it won't matter who said what. If you are in compliance, you need to remain calm, focused, and show it.

Please don't think I'm on the neighbor's side. I'm not.

EDITED TO ADD: I was typing this at the same time SGT LongT was posting. Looks like we are of a similar opinion
Not unpopular at all. As a matter of fact I have done just that. The grass is not an issue and is within code. The junk and debris as it is called is a NHC 250 Cummins Diesel Engine covered with a tarp and a 5 ton rear axle and one 2.5 ton rear axle on pallets. 4 M105 Trailers neatly lined up against the back property line well within my boundaries. Two M109A3 2.5 Ton vehicles with proper paper work, insurance and awaiting license plates from the State Capital. The thing that everyone is missing and that frustrates me the most is the fact that the complaining neighbor is not even in my neighborhood. Their neighborhood is behind mine and their backyard backs up to me. The next issue is the fact that this is an unimproved lot and therefore does not fall under the same rules according to Ordnance Codes as an improved lot...meaning the grass. However, I keep it neat and park like since I cleared out the underbrush. I also took down, at my expense, the tall pine trees so that they would not fall on the same neighbors house during a bad storm. I understand the "guns a blazing" anology but it is more than likely to late. The problem that we have right now is that this country is to pacifistic in nature. It is sort of like Rodney King stated "Why Can't We all Just Get Along?" Since I was part of Special MAGTF LA and went to assist in squelching the riots I feel qualified to say that talk failed there as well. I am trying to stay calm but it appears that the individuals that mind their own business seem to always come out on the SHI**Y end of the stick. We try to hard to always turn the other cheek and the neighbors always seem to get their way whether they are right or wrong. I will continue to fight and I will more than likely lose the battle but I intend to win the war; even if it means putting up a fence at my expense. If I offend them so much, why do they not put up a fence? I can not stand ineptness and unprofessional conduct from people that get paid with my tax monies. We should all stand up and defend what is right. By the way, I am in no way interpreting the codes in my favor.

Dave08....on a quest.

Flyingvan911

A guy in Kansas City painted his house in horizontal pastel stripes to get even with his neighbors. You paint has to be in good shape but color is up to you. I think you need a pastel fence.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks