• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Code Enforcement

engineer233

Luckily no H.O.A.'s here but they just complain it's noisy and don't like where I park no matter where . It creates an eyesore and looks red-necked. I am a red-neck I guess and am proud of it. This is a hobby for me and I dont fool with my truck much . I put the truck in the garage . He later came over for a few beers and make the comment "It takes a real red-neck with too much money to buy a piece of **** like that and put it in a garage" I kept cool to a point . After some words he left .

Last edited by a moderator:

Awesome Possum

Luckily no H.O.A.'s here but they just complain it's noisy and don't like where I park no matter where . It creates an eyesore and looks red-necked. I am a red-neck I guess and am proud of it. This is a hobby for me and I dont fool with my truck much . I put the truck in the garage . He later came over for a few beers and make the comment "It takes a real red-neck with too much money to buy a piece of **** like that and put it in a garage" I kept cool to a point . After some words he left . .
At this point I'da told the MF to GTFO my property. It takes a lot of nerve for someone to come over and drink your beer and shoot his mouth off like that.
Believe it or not, I'm not ALL about getting along and compromising. Sounds like this whole thing came pre-escalated. I just try to get along first, and keep my head cool just like you've done.

Flyingvan911

Does the dog sniff around your yard? I'd sprinkle some Cyan Pepper around your property where the dog goes. (Ofcourse, if you have animals this is a bad idea.) He will get a burning nose and stay away.

1redgmc

About your EDITS: There is a ban against making references to hurting things? Wha?

I am here to tell you that I routinely CRUSH cans, SHOOT the breeze and KILL weeds - and I am not ashamed to admit it! :beer:

Dave08

I still can not believe what I am reading on some of the posts.....what happened to conflict resolution...and cursing as well? Change of heart I guess.

Hang in there Engineer233 and remember, it is not the dog's fault. He is doing what a dog does so do not take it out on him. My neighbors have dogs and they consistently bark at me when I am out even though they know me. That is their job; to bark and alert. I praise the dogs and curse the owners. A dog will always do his business in someone else's yard rather than his own. The owners are at fault here by letting the dog run.
I was raised to not take it out on a man's property, in this case the dog, but to take it out on the man. The pepper idea is a good one and I was also told that moth balls work as well. Relatively inexpensive ideas since talking with the neighbor does not work, usually never does. You could get a bigger dog than they have but then you could be charged with dog fighting if the two dogs where to get into a fight. Of course you could find out about Codes and complain to the city or county....I do not recommend this unless you are absolutely sure that you are in compliance with everything yourself. I do feel your frustration with the situation and in a way, I envy your situation over mine in that you for one know who is complaining and two you have a garage. It appears that my situation has gone away for the time being or until they complain again. In the meantime, I have arranged for an alternative storage site for my MVs until I begin my project.
Good luck and keep us posted because this seems to be a common problem throughout the MV community.
Dave08

engineer233

This is true , dogs aren't really at fault it is the owner. I control my Jack Russell by putting him in a pen when I cant be outside with him . My neighbor is a good guy but is just too opinionated . In all honestly I am gonna talk with animal control if he doesn't keep his dog up. I will eventually work things out with him in time . I do feel bad for you all with HOA's . It would be tough with that and our hobby. Thankfully there is a forum like this for us gearheads to vent a little steam . By the way this is a pic of my eyesore .

Attachments

Dave08

Outstanding Deuce. I really like it! Mine are M109A3s; I have two. I also like the garage/barn. It looks as if it is huge. I would really like to have something like that to work in.

As far as everything else goes; just remember what goes around comes around and eventually they end up receiving more than they gave. Venting here can also relieve tension for some, create tension for others, and you can actually see that you are not alone in your struggles. In addition, you also see some of the idiotic comments and the way things are interpreted and how view points change. Keep up the 'Good Fight' stick to your guns and hang in there.
Dave08

Goose2448

Make sure your legal.
Then call in all the code violations in the general area, if it is anything like around here, they have to check out each and every one. My Uncle did this to a point that the County called him and told him to stop reporting them and they would leave him alone. This though dose not sound like your problem.

Where I used to live, it got to a point that every time I came home, the police showed up. Apparently my pickup was too loud. Although every time the police never saw a problem with it. Then we got a letter from the "HOA", the non existent one. They threatened to kill our dog, and destroy our property. Thats when the police were involved. They never could build a case against them. But after this guy showed up in my driveway one night after I came home, he almost went to jail. Although things never got much better, we ended having to move, non related to this, but it was a plus for us. I hope your situation dose not turn into this, but dont think twice about having legal help.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As in many of life's encounters, few things are black / white or good / bad. HOAs, covenents and municipal codes were started for good intentions, but oftentimes get out of hand (just like the unintended consequences of congressional acts). As long as everyone is aware and understands the rules before buying, ideally there should be no problems. However, many rules, covenants and codes are poorly written or interpreted, which leads to neighbor conflict and court suits. I was there once and promised myself I would never again find myself in that situation. My B-I-L has spent $30K+ in legal costs and over 6 years in one such battle that ended in a compromise.

I now live in the country where the lots are 18-30 acres, and homes are about 100yds from each other, no HOA or codes. The good thing about living in a rural area is I can do anything I want on my own property - the bad thing is my neighbor can do anything he wants on his property. If I don't like what my neighbor does (like spray liquid pig manure on his fields), and polite conversation does not change it, my only recourse is to accept it anyway or move. This freedom comes with a price, but my wife and I accept that and would rather pay that price and take that risk than to live in an area that promises home value security through enforcement of restrictive codes. For a number of reasons, not everyone has that luxury however, and I feel for those of you dragged unwittingly into that morass.

ApopkaFL

Banned
Speaking of code enforcement they came by my fathers house today and told me my truck was too big too be parking there. I told the SOB that I would be leaving tomorrow to KY so stroke the ticket if he wanted I was not moving it until I was leaving. He said he did not want to get into a pissing match with me and tomorrow would be fine.... BUT that is bull **** you can not have what you want at your home. You pay your tax`s local and state they treat and tell you what too do. Listen up we do not live in a FREE COUNTRY...

Dave08

Again, a classic case of the way this country is heading....The Haves and the Have Nots. History, if you take the time to learn what has gone on before, will indicate to you that this is the tiny steps to becoming communistic. And Thanks to Trailboss who points out that nothing good comes from it in the end. There are no winners and I would go as far to say that everyone comes up short in these situations. I would love to relocate to the rural areas but this will not happen in the foreseeable future due to our great economy. So far, my fight has seemed to come to a draw with no notifications from the city as to what has happened and or transpired. I will, unfortunately, wait until the next complaint and then take further action. I consider myself in a defensive position and I am aware and awaiting the counter attack by the unknown "Have Nots". Apopka...I wish that we could have had that BBQ with everyone bringing their MVs to park in my lot. I also want to wish you the best of luck in KY; have a safe trip and keep us informed as to how it is in KY.
Dave08

Dave08

Update 10/10/2011. Well, it seems that I am being left alone at least for now. I acquired two more M35A2s and brought them home last week and parked them on my lot. The very next day, code enforcement was on the scene. However, there was nothing they could do. The two new M35A2s had temporary tags and my two M109A3s have antique plates; everything legal and code enforcement left me alone; this time. Once the temporary tags expire I would bet that the code enforcement guys will be called again and come out to my place to cite me. I have come to grips with this entire situation and I am now playing the game. I have also found out that the Executive Director of Management and Growth now has a Sex Discrimination complaint against her by the code enforcement officer; amazing! Well, a good defense is a good offense and is then backed up with an alternate plan. I have a friend that lives in the country that has given me permission to park my vehicles at his place should there be a need. This will work out fine but the crux of the matter is the difference between right and wrong and people that will not mind their own business. My next move will be to talk with the City Manager but in the meantime, I am being left alone. I actually talked to the Building Permit department to investigate what I can and can not do with regards to fencing. Well, not that I was surprised, I can not put up a 12 foot fence with razor wire on top. However, I can put up a 6 foot fence and I am allowed to put up lights but no barbed wire or razor wire; I might be able to get away with broken glass. I am thinking of putting up a fence that is at least two feet within my property line and then putting a two foot wide stretch of tangle foot all around the fence (just kidding for those that take offense). On a serious note, I am allowed to put up a six foot fence but we are zoned R2 and the first 25 feet of my property can only have a fence that is 4 foot high and then it can go to six foot high. I am also allowed to have lights but they must not be shinning in a manner that disturbs others property. In other words, I can not intentionally put up search lights that shine on my neighbors. However, Street type lights are permitted that will light up the entire area.

The other thing that transpired is that an area wide sweep was ordered and two more of my neighbors were cited by code enforcement. Upon investigation, it was found out that the area sweep was ordered by Management which spells Executive Director of Management and Growth. We believe (it has not been confirmed yet) that the sweep was conducted as a result of my visit to the Executive Director of Management and Growth. She directed the sweep so that she could not be singled out for harassing me and for keeping the initial complaint against me anonymous. My neighbors were cited for Parking on the Grass, and a unregistered vehicle and the other neighbor for overgrowth (yard needed mowed) and tires and a trailer on the grass. Both neighbors have since corrected their defaults and we have all talked about it and they think it is petty of the city. We will continue to monitor and keep everyone updated.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't ya just love it when people just live life and don't go out of their way to mess with people. Why is there always an assh//le on every street willing to put there nose in everyones business.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Marcel, Hey Bud.

I agree with you. This is AMERICA, Play the game to your advantage.

Work the system to achieve a favorable outcome. Set a precedence to set an example.

Don

pand9

Dave08
Good to see you are back to the more rational approach.
Now that Managment has tried to wield it's authority and awakened the silent majority, you and your neighbors together can make a change.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks