• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Contemplating a Bobber! To do or not to do that is the question!

Gunfreak25

Well I don't see anything pertaining to just motor removal, but there are 30 mother frickin bolts holding the flywheel to the driving torus (torque converter).

nattieleather

Are you shure y ou got all the bolts? Sometimes there is a bolt missing. Pull the motor and trans as one unit. Don't try to pull as two pieces it will be easier to do it that way and then pull them apart outside of the truck

Section8

Sorry for the delay in posts but I have been stupidly busy with the farm and business season starting.
Yes I did manage to remove all the bolts around the bell housing. I was still unable to remove the tranny from the motor. Thought about losing aaaaallll the bolt on the fly wheel but as fate would have it since the motor was siezed and made it impossible to turn said flywheel that went out the window in a jiffy!
In the end I tried removing the motor and tranny together. Bought a engine hoist for the job that just ended up sinking into the nice soft dirt in the barn yard.
Sooooo. I then called the neighbor over with their tractor to yank it out. Boy did it work!! Picked the truck right up off the ground when the tranny hung up on the stabilizing bar behind the axle when it tipped at one point!
In any event. Motor and tranny are now out and the engine bay will start getting prepped for the 5.9L when ever I can get some more time to devote to the build.
Side note if anyone needs parts or wants both motor/tranny PM me and I will see what I can do for ya!
Otherwise I am probably going to take it for scrap.
I will post pics as soon as I can everyone! Its has been raining like a bugger for the past few days.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Parts

You must be having a cow, or was it a bull.
At least your truck finally gave birth to a drive-train. C-section.......or a Section8?:)
Frontal extraction, head first, tail-shaft last.

You pulled a motor with a tractor and didn't post pictures, come on.

No puttin' G749 parts in the scrap, my farm's not full yet. PM sent.

One more step forward............just need pictures.

Section8

Well there she is! Provided I got the pics posted properly to! The old iron sits waiting to be scraped or saved! You to can have this for your yard or project for the sale price of $1 million dollars!!! Bwaaahaaahaha!!! (Or going rate for scrap or parts trades)
Next step in order is to get some motor mounts fabbed up for the 5.9L cummins.
Also have to remove the old master brake cylinder. Dry as a bone and rusted to boot! Not a total loss since I was gonna go with a hydro-max. Might be able to rebuild the master cylinder but I don't want to.
Hope I can give a better post soon with some real progress but time will tell.
Pm sent to M1010plowboy.

Attachments

bearboley

This is my prayer for the day, Lord please do not let anymore military trucks fall to the fate of the dreaded bobber because there owners bought them not fully understanding what they have gotten and dissatisfied they try and transform it into something its not, amen..

Gunfreak25

This is my prayer for the day, Lord please do not let anymore military trucks fall to the fate of the dreaded bobber because there owners bought them not fully understanding what they have gotten and dissatisfied they try and transform it into something its not, amen..
A. This is your opinion and does not add anything useful to the OP's thread.
B. It is his truck and he may do what he wishes with it. Goes for us all.
C. Lay back and have a cold one :beer:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Military Vehicle Preservation

Amen Bear, the modern drive train set-up is a great idea however it's ok for the purist to be disappointed when trucks get chopped. Section 8 will do us proud and will be partially donating any parts and pieces to my "Wild Military Vehicle Preserve" near Edmonton, Canada.

I now know of 12 G749 trucks that nobody wants. They require more repair love then is practical and these are the trucks that can be partially saved. Two of them are runners and prices have been reasonable, but nobody is buying.

8 trucks have been rotting in the bush for 30 years and the ability or desire to save them just isn't here. The owner wants 'scrap value' for them and after transportation costs, I'd need to be more insane then I currently am to spend the money.

On the positive side, until the day I am institutionalized or dead, I'll 'sea-can' anything that is donated and preserve it until someone can get at it. So if you want to save trucks I'll donate the land and sea-can if you bring me the toys.

In the meantime, we'll pray together.

bearboley

A. This is your opinion and does not add anything useful to the OP's thread.
B. It is his truck and he may do what he wishes with it. Goes for us all.
C. Lay back and have a cold one :beer:
In fact the question asked was to bob or not,was this not in the thread tiltle? I was asked for my opinion and I gave it with a light hearted response I might add. I am by no means a pureest. I think a 5.9 powered g series would just be great just don't bobb it, played out already been done. Of course this is my own opinion and is meant to be just that. If I have not had anything to add to the thread I am truly sorry ,but not actully. When I think of the next earth moving idea I will pm you to see if its a worthy contribution. Now off to have that beer.

Last edited:

Section8

Holy ****! I wasn't meaning for my thread to turn into a debate about being a purist and doing a complete resto or being a hacker!
Truth be told I would love to own one in perfect condition as if it rolled off the factory assembly line but that isn't going to happen.
I do have other M135's and M211's around my vicinity that I have been keeping an eye on for possibly such a resto.
This rig is more to be a service rig for the farm and my business. The "Contemplating" part of the bob thread title is my indecision to eliminate an axle and shorten the rig for non commercial needs.

On to Gunfreaks question now that I farted aand cleared the air! Lol!
I do plan on doing some clean up and some engine bay repaint while the motor is out and I find or make some mounts.
I wish I could afford to have the whole rig blasted but that would cost a pile just to have it towed the hour to the nearest media blaster. Not to mention the blasting then tow home.
So it will be the old grinder with wire wheel and sand paper for rust removal.
It probably won't be a great clean up but as long as I get most of the rust cleaned away and the metal looks shiny I can hit it with a rustolium paint and seal the metal from further eroding!

nattieleather

Ya know what?! It's your freaking truck do what ever the freak you want to it! Bob it or don't bob it. Put a cummins in, put a 420 hemi V8 in. It's your truck and your money do as you wish! Tell the nay sayers to blow it out their backsides!:):beer:

As for cleaning the engine compatment. Degree and power wash, sand and wire wheel on drill prime and repaint. You'll be good to go.

54hms

Do what you want man, either way it will be sweet. The cummins will work nice and i'm sure you will be happy. I am currently in the process of installing a 5.9 cummins in my 1977 ford F250 crew cab. They are super simple to work with and hook up, one wire and their running! The hole in the gear case on the engine is where the gear driven vacuum pump and power steering pump were located. I would also stay away from the auto trannies as they were known to have problems. As far as the air compressor is concerned, you could piggy back a v-pully onto the idler pully and fab a mount to support the compressor. Just some ideas. Good luck.:beer:

Section8

Thanks for all of the support for me to do what I want with my rig!
I plan on doing what I feel I need to with this rig since I will be my farm/business service rig. If the truck had been in better condition when I found her it may have gotten restored. As I said in earlier posts there are other M135's and M211's kicking around my neck of the woods that I have been watching like a hawk!

Well to get back to the posted thread.
I spent a **** of a lot of time scrapping and washing and grinding on the frame rails and firewall as best I could.
Then gave the rails and the fire wall a spray of black rockguard paint. Also a quick clean up and spray of black on the headlight housing while the whole grill is disassembled.
Looks pretty good. Not anywhere near what I have seen in some of the other threads here. I do what I can though. I am not so keen on looks right now as getting the truck running and be able to drive.
Awesome green paint comes later. Vroom vroom first!
Yes yes! I know! This thread is worthless with out pics!!! They are coming! If it ever stops raining.

Now comes the excitement and frustration!!
I have measured and measured and found some interesting numbers.
From the centre of the firewall between battery trays to the end of the fender wells at which point the headlights and grill bolt together is 39 inches.
Inside width of the frame rails is 33.5 inches. Distance between old motor mount hole centers is 18 inches.
Now of course the old motor mounts aren't in the right spot! That would be to easy for me to be able to fab up some simple engine block mounts.
The 5.9's engine mounts would be perfectly situated right in line with the shock absorber mount bolts and such in the frame.
I am also afraid I will run into a problem with hood clearance and axle clearance at the front of the engine.
Thankfully I discover that even with the fan on the motor the 5.9L is 37 inches long!!! The specs say 40 inches but from the flex plate to extreme front of my fan is 39 inches but from rear of cylinders to extreme front of my fan is 37.5 inches.
So if I can find the perfect balance of clearance between axle and hood I shouldn't have to cut into the firewall and move the motor back.
The 5.9L's specs are 40 inches long by 25 inches wide by 40 inches tall.
Ideas, on this? Still awake???? Sorry for the length of the post everyone.
Sound off experts!!! Let me hear it!

Gunfreak25

Ya have to shut yer pie hole or your going to make me want to get a 5.9 equipped vehicle. They really are one of the best motors ever made.

I refuse to give out anymore of my "free" information. It will cost you pictures. :beer: :p

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seriously '8, The pictures keep us interested. Then we provide encouragement, you feed on it and keep working on your truck. You post more pics, we give more positive feedback, you work harder. Then we become motivated and work on our trucks. We post pics and you give us feedback, we work harder, you get motivated...

:deadhorse:

54hms

Any chance you can remove the rivets and move the original motor mounts back to better location for you to work with. My M135 is at a friends farm so i cannot go look to see if this is doable. I fabbed up some custom mounts that bolted right to the block for my cummins swap. Maybe you could do something similar with them landing on the original frame mounts.
If i can figure out how to load a picture i'll show you my mounts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks