• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Contemplating a Bobber! To do or not to do that is the question!

Gunfreak25

Don't ask me why, but GMC used 6 huge 5/8 hot rivets on each GMC motor mount to frame bracket. And the bottom 4 are between the frame and leaf springs so getting to them would be really hard.

Take a look at my thread and you can see the mounts I built. They sort of "step forward" to reach the frame brackets. I'm making 2 more sets but using 1/4" square tubing instead of the flat stock which is more work to cut out.

Section8

Ok ok! Here are the pics! Not to much special about the paint or application of it. Unless you count some blow back in your face from the odd gust of wind. Knew I should have bought the brush on rustoleom instead of 12 buck rattle can rock guard!
Now if the pics come up in proper sequence, first couple are showing the painted frame rails and firewall.
Then it should be one of the 5.9L awaiting its snug new home.
Then I think the fourth is location of the motor mounts on the engine block. The fifth should be the location of where the engine mounts on the block would correspond on the frame. Which just so happens to be almost dead center of the shock absorber mounting.
This brings into the problem of where to put said new mounts?? I have also been tempted to mount off of the front of the motor as a fell around here has done to his M35a2 with a 6bt.
Picture six should show the location of the gas pedal linkages and such in stock location which I have come to realize that my starter on the 5.9L will probably cause some interference or be in the way all together.
The other pics are of the old girl as she sits at present. Gutted but hopefully not for much longer.
Enjoy. Hope that give the inspiration/ motivation you were all talking about! LOL!
I'm chomping at the bit for more parts. Business gets payed soon which means I am gonna go see if I can scoop a cab off of a fella a few hours away from me!! Then buy either a generator for my crappy welder or buy a new gas powered all in one Miller welder!!!
Oh and yes there are some huge rivets on the old mounts that I plan on grinding off to hopefully re use the mounts.
Slow and steady progress is progress at least!

Attachments

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh Yea! That is what we like to see. keep up the good work and thank you for the pictures!

I will be taking off Wed, Thurs and Fri to work on mine now.
Thanks for the motivation. :beer:

Gunfreak25

Love it, you have some easy work ahead of you with no bed on. I got tired of playing twister under mine so I just ripped out all the driveshafts. When your 6' and 185lbs it makes working under the vehicle a joy. Still the occasional "motherfudger!!!" when I bang my big head. :lol:

I had to cut off the "leg" on my accelerator linkage to keep it from hitting the 6.2 cylinder head. You'll probably have to do the same for obvious reasons. The 5.9 looks so tiny next to the M211. :eek:

54hms

You can get front engine mounts for the 5.9. They are SAE mounts that are used in school busses and heavy trucks. might be the way to go if the location will interfere with the shock mount, unless you can re-locate the shock/mount else where. Oh, and another thing...get that ugly 'dodge ram' cover plate off the top of the motor. they look way better with the six valve covers exposed...lol.....

Gunfreak25

You going to scrub the engine and re-paint it before you stick it in there? Castrol super clean is the better version of purple power which is sort of a Castrol knock off. I put it in a pump spray bottle used for weed killer. Stuff is so powerful there's virtually no scrubbing required.

Section8

I do plan on cleaning up and repainting the 5.9L once all the final mods are done with for mounting.
I have been searching and searching the web for some different engine mounts that I don't have to mess around with to much.
Can't seem to find any front mounts that 54hms mentioned.

Further more I have to give props where props are due!
To everyone keeping these old rigs alive, keep it up! The inspiration and motivation from what I have read in most of these threads makes me believe I to can make it happen to.
Favorite reads are Gunfreaks, Hendersond, M1010plowboy, Seatgyr. Just to name a few!

Congratulations everyone on all your hard work and successes. Truly ones to be proud of!!

Gunfreak25

Motor mounts are really easy. I was apprehensive at first. The trick it getting everything into place and finding a secure, long term way of keeping it there while you take your time making the mounts.

When I put the 6.2 in I used a bunch of wood under the oil pan to support things. Then I just used the little engine hoist to keep it upright and centered where I wanted. So I was able to leave things "suspended" so to speak for as long as I wanted.

I used cardboard to make mock up mounts and templates for the gussets.

nattieleather

Is there a clearance issue with tieing into the original mount point? To me that would be the easist thing to do.

Another thought would be to make a cradle which would bolt to the motor and then go out to the existing mount points and then back to another spot on the frame. Like a piece of box tubing that mounts for and aft of the engine mount and then the engine mounts to it.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 kept alive

Originally posted by Section 8.........Congratulations everyone on all your hard work and successes.

You say the nicest things cowboy.

It's the progress pics that keep me goin'. One bolt at a time.

Attachments

Section8

Yea know. I love the look of these rigs no matter what color they are!!
Seen yellows, white, blue, GREEN, red, tan, just off the top of my head. Rust brown even looks good!!

Looks great M1010plowboy!!

I have been toying with the idea of a cradle for the 5.9L but am worried about axle clearance issues.
Since I have never driven one of these yet, except it rolling behind a tractor to move from point A to B, I don't know how much flex is in the front springs for say bottoming out.
In looking at how the 5.9L would sit it may or may not have lots of room between the diff and oil pan.

I have to fudge the motor in the engine bay like Gunfreak advised and see what I can come up with.

Gunfreak25

The top of the spring packs have rubber cone bumper pads on them that will contact the bottom of the frame. Should tell you just how much the front axle can articulate.

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

I like the idea of a cradle. I believe another term of this setup is a front motor plate. You can buy cut to fit motor plates from Summit, Jegs, Speedway, etc but they are a bit overpriced IMO.

Here is what I would do after getting your powerplant mocked into place with wood blocks under the pan. Take a sheet of cardboard and cut out a template to fit the contour of the front bottom of the engine. When your comfortable with it, take this cardboard to your local steel guy, choose a thickness and he'll plasma cut out a sheet for you made to your template.

Then just find a way to weld that baby to the frame rails.

Here's some examples of a front plate setup. Actually since I need to make a new set of mounts I may do this as well. Couldn't hurt to go solid mounts with the 5.9. Strong block and heavy truck. Should be no problems at all. The 6.2 would likely break at the webs.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=Front%20motor%20plate&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1024&bih=614&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=GP_YT4jyHsyJ6gGqsdyJAw

Section8

Yeeehaaaw!!!
I sure hope the pics post up with this!
Just had the neighbor over with the big tractor to help me put the 6bt into the truck.
Keep in mind it is only sitting on a cradle of chains and wood.
It fits like a glove!!!!!!!! I almost wet my pants when I had it sitting almost where I wanted it right of the start!
Once the tractor backed out and I put my engine hoist on the motor to better maneuver it around things only got better.
I don't know if the pictures do it justice, if they show up, but I have about 2 inches clearance at the back of the cylinders to the fire wall. There is also a mark I made on the frame rail that I am pointing at in one picture that is the end of where the inside fender well sits.
Now if all of my measurements are right, when I go the put the grill and radiator back on I will have 2 inches of clearance from fan to radiator.
I have some fine tuning to do since I have yet to get motor mounts finalized, which in one picture shows where the old mounts line up with the 6bt front and traditional side mounts are.
I will be going with the front mounts obviously since I can keep the old frame mounts right where they are!
This brings into play having to make some rear mounts by the bell housing since that is a lot of weight and torque to have on the bell housing from the front mounts to rear
tranny mounts.
The only other problem I am going to have is some minor floor board and firewall trimming by the gas pedal since the starter mount on the flexplate hits to line up dead centre. It looks as though it well be a minor 2 inch trim job.
I couldn't be more happy with how this motor is working out for this!!! A little fudge room all around but otherwise a perfect fitting modern power train swap!!!
Sound off and return fire!!

Attachments

Gunfreak25

Hahaha! You sound as excited as I was with my 6.2 installation. It's funny how when you finally plop it in there how well it fits up isn't it? Gunfreak is totally jealous. I agree the extra mounts are a great idea. Good job, she's coming right along!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Motor Swap

Looking good. Lots of options for cradles on the link gunfreak plugged. Here's one with a chunk of steel hacked out of a plate.
Engine Plate Question

Lots of options just more decisions to nail down, Nice.

Took a look at the side shot of the block and a funky design came to mind. You're at a very cool fab point in your build, wish I was there, I'm still gonna enjoy it.

The Shark Mount.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 motor mounts

With the large mounting plate on the block I think it would be easy to fab up some... keep it simple .....mounts. 1/2 inch plate or bigger, 1" Steel Puck for the mount. Fun project.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 5.9l engine swap

Here's an interesting blurb about the 5.9l.

""""Currently, the Cummins 5.9L Turbo Diesel is only available in Mexico, as well as for underground mining. Production of the 5.9L Turbo Diesel will end in June 2009."""""""

No hablo Espanol, do you know if your engine is Spanish? This link is obviously pre 09' but it had a nice photo of the 5.9l so I hope it works.

If production ended in 2009, what is it like to get parts?

Cummins Engines - On-Highway - Ram - 5.9L Turbo Diesel