• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Build... Here We Go Again...

devilman96

Well... GAME ON!... For those of you whom were around when I did my Diablo build kind of know what is going to happen to this poor Blazer... For those that don’t check out what I did to the poor deuce. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=4696&highlight=diablo

I will not have the time to keep up with images daily again but I will try to keep up the overall build and any of the custom stuff / improvements we make during the process.

Thus far the plan is going something like this...

Strip truck...
Remove all of the joint sealer (done)...
Blast...
Epoxy prime...
Reseal joints...
Paint...
Reassemble from the cab rearward...

Yank front clip...
Engine...
Trans and TC...

Engine will be upgraded to a 6.5 center mount turbo (thanks to Kenny)
Trans will be a 700R4
TC will be rebuild and remain a 208

Dual AC will be installed (front and rear)
Cab insulated
Power leather front seats (of course)
Leather rear seat, retain folding ability
Bedliner throughout the inside
Chassis and underside undercoated
Clutch fan removed, electric fans installed
Engine and trans oil filtration upgrade
10K lb front winch
Full computer system, touch screen, etc...
Broadband internet
Wireless internet
Satellite radio
GPS
Bluetooth
2 way com system (Icom 706MII)
Roof rack
Cab lighting
IR lighting
Strobe lighting
At least 3K of stereo system (maybe bigger this time) all controlled by the computer
Power windows
Power doors (remote)
Remote start
Side window tool racks
Rear roof hatch
Turret
Air Compressor
Fording up to 60"
Quad gel batteries (keeping the 24/12 system)
150 amp alternators

8000 wiz gigs, whirly do's, kanuter valves and other custom parts.

Or something like that...

BTW... If anyone has a parts truck... I NEED new front roof corners!!!

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was going to make some comments about this build but I fear retribution. Seems that the owner of this project is pretty good with photoshop and would probably create some incriminating shots of my deuce with such upgrades as power heated leather seats, power wiindows, massive stereo and a blue glove compartment light. For anyone looking for an R2 Crash Truck, act quick while he is consumed by this limo project and before he has time to devise a plan and ultimate demise of it. You might be able to save it

dunedigger

cool project. I hear a lot about this paint being bad stuff to sand. What do you use when sanding on it, respirator, suit etc?

Crash_AF

I have a parts truck that I can cut up before it goes to scrap but I might be too far away.

I want to do a turret too... I'm assuming you're going to hack the rear top to put one on... let's hear some brainstorming ideas on how you plan to execute it.

Later,
Joe

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Military Radio Setup (RT-524 based)
underhood-mounted welder setup (a lot of offroaders have this setup)
Hi-Lift jack mount/dual fuel can mount/spare tire mount (exterior)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
cool project. I hear a lot about this paint being bad stuff to sand. What do you use when sanding on it, respirator, suit etc?
I heard he just uses lots of Red Bull.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haha, Eric! I bet the Redbull would strip CARC. Wonder if this will be a 2 case week Redbull build?

devilman96

Military Radio Setup (RT-524 based) ..
706 covers much much much more.

underhood-mounted welder setup (a lot of offroaders have this setup)
Not a off roader... Zero room under the hood when Im done.

Hi-Lift jack mount/dual fuel can mount/spare tire mount (exterior)
5 jerry cans / tire on top, jack goes inside.

I hear a lot about this paint being bad stuff to sand. What do you use when sanding on it, respirator, suit etc?
A Mexican, and yes redbull. CARC is water based house paint!

I have a parts truck that I can cut up before it goes to scrap but I might be too far away.
If you have a SOLID truck and can cut find a box as I have a UPS label for you.... Need this stuff ASAP!!! (if possible)

I want to do a turret too... I'm assuming you're going to hack the rear top to put one on... let's hear some brainstorming ideas on how you plan to execute it.
Watch and see, quite a bit of DOM involved in the ordeal...

Anything that goes wrong… I blame Kenny! Or mangus... or?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Blame me, i don't give a rats behind. Since you decided to start another project, I'm going to come up with all kinds of brainstoring ideas to bog you down just like I did on the Diablo build. BTW, thanks for helping to support my wrecker's hydraulic oil addiction. She drank every bit of it.

dc3coyote

Whew I cant wait to see your new build maybe you should bring both of your projects to the Fl rally, it will be nice to see them side by side. This will be a dun project to sit back and drink beer, while complaining about the lack of pics.

Crash_AF

Here are some pics of the corners. The roof has hail damage, but if you're cutting and skinning, you should be able to work it out. How much of the corners do you want? (you can mark the pics where you want the cuts made and PM them back to me)

So you are making a DOM framework inside the shell attached to the turret? I was thinking of finding a HMMWV roof turret and then doing the same thing, but having more brainstorming ideas can't hurt...

Later,
Joe

Attachments

devilman96

Here are some pics of the corners. The roof has hail damage, but if you're cutting and skinning, you should be able to work it out. How much of the corners do you want? (you can mark the pics where you want the cuts made and PM them back to me)

So you are making a DOM framework inside the shell attached to the turret? I was thinking of finding a HMMWV roof turret and then doing the same thing, but having more brainstorming ideas can't hurt...

Later,
Joe
Pic marked up and sent... Sweet! That will save me a heap of work trying to recreate parts!

On the support system... Yeah kinda... Kenny (damn him) gave me the idea of running rails up the side windows to put in a tool rack and somewhere to mount the highlift inside... Being that the windows will be tinted with 5% you will never see into the truck anyways so why not? At that point and with Sermis's parts location skills finding me a hatch (took bout 2 years but he's the man!) and with building a roof rack I figure why not just tie it all together so it can support a ring. Only question really is getting the height above the rack and spare tire mounting. If it becomes to big of a nightmare I'll skip the turrent and just stick with the hatch alone as having the rack and mounting space is far more important to me than the ring is. I really dont care to stick a 50 up there reguardless... but I have some smaller toys that would be just perfect.

As far as adding more guns to the truck... naw... I have a Pinz 710 lined up for a gun truck conversion but it will be about a year or more before I will even THINK about another project truck!!! I REALLY HATE building stuff anymore!... Im good at it but I am only intrested in owning the end results!!!

Crash_AF

Well, I need to take some measurements of the dimensions of the HMMWV hatch, but my plan was to take the top off of a HMMWV and weld up a DOM support structure that tied into the top mounting locations on both sides and the front of the fiberglass top, then modifying the HMMWV top turret to bolt to the support structure.

I'm not sure how you're going to get a ring and a rack on the top of a Blazer, but I'm planning to build a cargo rack on the top of my Suburban to hold the spare and fuel cans.

PM sent on the other stuff.

Later,
Joe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks