• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Cooling System Upgrade Kit

I think the best for those like you is to have me send out the 90 Deg fitting. As far as the return of the other parts go you can send them back first class mail. Should be $2-$3 at the most. I can refund that upon receipt.
Thanks, Yes I would like a 90 deg fitting sent asap. I called some hardware stores and I'm not sure I could source a cap locally, none of them carried the AN products. Was hoping to install on Saturday but hey, stuff happens.

911joeblow

OK I have sent out the 90Deg fittings and each person who asked for one should have a PM from me. Anybody else that wants one that did not get a PM from please let me know. Thanks guys!

911joeblow

I also now have this custom version of the kit instructions (CUCV with HMMWV crossover pipe) available if anybody wants a copy just PM me.

Drock

Okay I got my 90 degree fitting today & installed the kit. 20170909_155310.jpg20170909_155254.jpgFor the CUCV I needed to disconnect the batteries because one of the passenger side bolts has 3 ground wires attached to it. Also I now have this sensor which seems to have something to do with the glow plug system? 20170909_161306.jpg As performance, it runs considerably smoother, and the acceleration seems much better.

Last edited:

911joeblow

Okay I got my 90 degree fitting today & installed the kit. View attachment 698665View attachment 698666For the CUCV I needed to disconnect the batteries because one of the passenger side bolts has 3 ground wires attached to it. Also I now have this sensor which seems to have something to do with the glow plug system? View attachment 698662 As performance, it runs considerably smoother, and the acceleration seems much better.
Nice! Good to see your install. The temp sensor is a nice paperweight ��

Drock

Should I run a jumper wire in the plug of the sensor? The glow plugs are running every time I start the truck now, and the "wait" light stays on a long time.

Bighorn

If anything I would just plug the sensor back into the harness.
That thermister was telling your glowplug card whether the engine was cold or hot.
The glow plug card now has no way to know so it defaulted to cold.
At least if you plug the thermister back in, even though it is not in the water jacket, the card has a remote chance of making a decision.

I have read this entire thread and I am confused.
Does this kit include a provision for the Glow Plug system thermister pictured above or not?
That is a pretty bloody important sensor for people running a glow plug card.
Are people eliminating the sensor (and the glow plug card) with this kit and just running a manual glow plug switch?

I like the idea of this kit but I want to keep my glow plug cards automatic operation.
That Thermister must be in the water jacket and plugged into the harness for the card to work properly.

Last edited:

Bighorn

Post 68 explains the sensor.
No.
That is the glow plug inhibit switch.
The sensor Drock is showing above is the glow plug thermister.
It tells the glow plug card what temp the engine block water jacket is and that is the data the card uses to calculate glow plug time.

Bighorn

The gp inhibit switch is located on the passenger rear side of the block.
It opens above 125 degrees f to disable the glow plugs.
It can be safely jumped with a wire and connectors.
You will have glow operation above and below 125.

The gp thermister is located on the driver side top of the block and it appears you guys are removing it to install this kit.
That is fine for those using a manual glow plug swotch.
Those wishing to use a glow plug card MUST retain this sensor if they want the glow plug system to work properly.
Maybe relocate it somewhere else in the system.
But to disconnect it is a bad idea.
Could cause glow plug failure.

Bighorn

Yeppers.
There is a block off plate passenger side.
Below that plate on side of block is the gp inhibit switch.
What concerns me is seeing Drock had to remove the gp thermister on the drivers side to install this kit.
Looking at other threads I know drock is using the glow plug card.
Drock is having issues with very lengthy glow times.
This is due to the thermister being removed from the glow plug card circuit to I stall this kit.
Perhaps the humvee 6.2 and m1009 6.2 have sensor located differently.
That could be an issue.
Whatever, it's your truck.
Just hate to have people burning up glow plugs and cards if it can be avoided.
Look at Drocks picture above.
He has removed the gp thermister NOT the bypass.
Big difference.

Bighorn

That would be better than disconnecting it if you are still using a glow plug card.
It just needs to be in the cooling system somewhere.
The variable would be whether that location cools off faster etc but I would think once the engine is off for a while the whole system reaches a similar temperature.
If it were my truck, I would try and put it back into the system where ever I could.
That spot in the cross over should work.
Let us know what the thread sises are or what adaptors you use.= to make it work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks