• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Cooling System Upgrade Kit

Bighorn

I just took a look at my crossover and there is no hole where yours is located.
I can envision using the heater hose connection on the crossover along with fittings to make a 'T' connection in which to thread the thermister.
Of course the leads would need to be lengthend.
Probably best to solder the wire lead extensions since and resistance will affect the overall resistance value the gp card reads.
I am actually really interested in this cooling mod for my m1009.
Just want everything to work as designed too.

Last edited:

Drock

Can it be relocated to to another port on the crossover?
Yes I thought of that this morning as I was waking up LOL! So I tried it out and it worked! I had an open boss on the passenger side of the HMWWV crossover not being used. All I had to do was relocate the sensor & its adaptor to the boss and lengthen the pigtail about 24" 20170910_150151.jpg20170910_150142.jpg

Last edited:

Bighorn

Yes I thought of that this morning as I was waking up LOL! So I tried it out and it worked! I had an open boss on the passenger side of the HMWWV crossover not being used. All I had to do was relocate the sensor & its adaptor to the boss and lengthen the pigtail about 24" View attachment 698777View attachment 698778
That HMWWV crossover has a threaded boss.
My M1009 crossover just has a blank flat there.
But I bet I could get Miller Fabrication to drill and thread me a hole in my crossover in that spot.
Well, one of these cooling upgrade kits is in my future.

Drock

*REVIEW* I'd like to start buy saying, I'm VERY pleased with this kit! I got a chance to drive the truck on some errands today. It runs MUCH smoother & quieter then before. There used to be valve chatter when at speed that I just chalked up to it being just diesel engine noise, But it's gone now. And it does seem to pull much better up hills....... I was fully aware I was buying an experimental kit & I would be one of, if not the first customers to install it on a CUCV. So there are a few bugs to be worked out of the final product for it to be a complete kit for the CUCV's. But over all I'm VERY happy and have already blasted pics out to Instagram & Facebook, and fielded several questions from interested CUCV owners. So tool up 911joeblow! It sounds like you'll be busy soon... Thanks DROCK...

Drock

That HMWWV crossover has a threaded boss.
My M1009 crossover just has a blank flat there.
But I bet I could get Miller Fabrication to drill and thread me a hole in my crossover in that spot.
Well, one of these cooling upgrade kits is in my future.
There's a HMWWV crossover on Ebay for around $60.00 right now.

Bighorn

There's a HMWWV crossover on Ebay for around $60.00 right now.
I nabbed one on ebay for $50.60 including shipping.
You getting that thermister back in your system sold me on the idea.
Thanks Drock!
P.S.
Just bought the second to last 911JoeBlow CUCV cooling kit off ebay.
Someone better jump on the last one!

Last edited:
REVIEW:
Ok so I installed mine this morning and I have some thoughts and experiences I'd like to share. I'd like to say in advance that I've only installed one of these kits so I am NOT an expert by any means. JoeBlow can chime in and let us know if I'm correct/incorrect in any of my thoughts/criticisms.

NOTE: My application is a CUCV M1009 with a HMMWV coolant crossover installed.

First, the kit is nice! The parts are quality and you can tell JoeBlow put some thought and care into the manufacturing and engineering of the product. After I installed the kit I took it for a drive and I noticed a distinct drop in cab temp. I can't wait to take it rock crawling on a hot day to see how crispy cool it keeps my engine.

Second, there are some mild flaws that I believe are due to the possibility that JoeBlow doesn't have a CUCV and is engineering these kits for the CUCVs based on HMMWV motors.

My findings/opinions:
1. Its not a big deal but I thought I'd mention it in case it helps someone. The passenger side blank plate has a steel or aluminum line running right over it that you will need to bend out of the way for the new plate with the water port to be installed. Remove the vacuum pump to make your life easier when installing this side. You will probably need to lay across the engine so bring a pad.

2. The glow plug "thermister" or temp sensor will lose its home when this kit is installed. If the truck still has a GP card (like mine) then this is a problem. I found a solution to this which leads me to my next item...

3. CUCV owners with glow plug card system intact probably should buy and install a HMMWV crossover if they're going to buy this kit. The HMMWV crossover will allow you to relocate your temp sensor and keep this system functioning. See the pic below to see where I put my GP thermister, you'll also see it in more pics later on. The HMMWV crossover also allows for a water temp sensor to be installed for a guage and will allow you to buy the cheaper HMMWV cooling kit from Joe Blow.

IMG_6294.jpg

4. My next challenges were due to my stock air filter housing. The passenger side hose is not long enough to travel around the housing and is currently pinched between the intake and the air filter housing. The short length of this hose makes it so I can not install the "Y" fitting to the drivers side of the throttle cable assembly which then causes my next problem. The AN assembly that comes out of the crossover is also too long and, as you can see in the pics the hoses are pushed right up against the air filter housing causing them to crimp. This also puts undesirable pressure on the AN fittings and unions. You can see in a previous post the installer had the "Y" fitting installed to the drivers side of the throttle cable assembly but I think this is because he has a turbo which gives him more space to run his passenger side hose.

IMG_6295.jpgIMG_6296.JPGIMG_6297.JPGIMG_6298.jpg

I'd like to know from JoeBlow if I have made mistakes during my installation or if my assessments of potential flaws are correct.

Last edited:

Drock

REVIEW:
Ok so I installed mine this morning and I have some thoughts and experiences I'd like to share. I'd like to say in advance that I've only installed one of these kits so I am NOT an expert by any means. JoeBlow can chime in and let us know if I'm correct/incorrect in any of my thoughts/criticisms.

NOTE: My application is a CUCV M1009 with a HMMWV coolant crossover installed.

First, the kit is nice! The parts are quality and you can tell JoeBlow put some thought and care into the manufacturing and engineering of the product. After I installed the kit I took it for a drive and I noticed a distinct drop in cab temp. I can't wait to take it rock crawling on a hot day to see how crispy cool it keeps my engine.

Second, there are some mild flaws that I believe are due to the possibility that JoeBlow doesn't have a CUCV and is engineering these kits for the CUCVs based on HMMWV motors.

My findings/opinions:
1. Its not a big deal but I thought I'd mention it in case it helps someone. The passenger side blank plate has a steel or aluminum line running right over it that you will need to bend out of the way for the new plate with the water port to be installed. Remove the vacuum pump to make your life easier when installing this side. You will probably need to lay across the engine so bring a pad.

2. The glow plug "thermister" or temp sensor will lose its home when this kit is installed. If the truck still has a GP card (like mine) then this is a problem. I found a solution to this which leads me to my next item...

3. CUCV owners with glow plug card system intact probably should buy and install a HMMWV crossover if they're going to buy this kit. The HMMWV crossover will allow you to relocate your temp sensor and keep this system functioning. See the pic below to see where I put my GP thermister, you'll also see it in more pics later on. The HMMWV crossover also allows for a water temp sensor to be installed for a guage and will allow you to buy the cheaper HMMWV cooling kit from Joe Blow.

View attachment 698802

4. My next challenges were due to my stock air filter housing. The passenger side hose is not long enough to travel around the housing and is currently pinched between the intake and the air filter housing. The short length of this hose makes it so I can not install the "Y" fitting to the drivers side of the throttle cable assembly which then causes my next problem. The AN assembly that comes out of the crossover is also too long and, as you can see in the pics the hoses are pushed right up against the air filter housing causing them to crimp. This also puts undesirable pressure on the AN fittings and unions. You can see in a previous post the installer had the "Y" fitting installed to the drivers side of the throttle cable assembly but I think this is because he has a turbo which gives him more space to run his passenger side hose.

View attachment 698808View attachment 698809View attachment 698811View attachment 698813

I'd like to know from JoeBlow if I have made mistakes during my installation or if my assessments of potential flaws are correct.
I think if you clock the "Y" fitting to the right side of the throttle cable bracket like I did. It will give you a little more room around the filter housing. IMG_20170910_074342_981.jpg

Last edited:
I think if you clock the "Y" fitting to the right side of the throttle cable bracket like I did. It will give you a little more room around the filter housing.
Yes but, as I noted, that makes the passenger side hose too short if I do that. I think the passenger side hose being longer could solve it but I don't know if that would affect the flow of water.

911joeblow

So it looks like we have some work to do on the CUCV interm kits. The test vehicle we used was a short term loaner and as it turns out it must have been a bit of a Frankenstein truck as well because it had the glow plug switch in the rear coolant plate and not the sensor I am seeing in your pics. So as mentioned you will want to maintain this in your system. If you do not have the HMMWV crossover you will not have an available port on the rt front of the crossover to relocate you sensor too. So as previously mentioned you will need to wait for the full CUCV kit. We will have to change these kits too now that I realize that our test truck is NOT representative of the majority of trucks out there.

Again this kit is an interm kit for those who have or are willing to add some HMMWV parts to thier CUCV to be able to run these.

The very first few kits had no wireing with them, the subsequent kits do but it now looks like those are wrong too because of the test truck again. I appreciate all the input to help get these right.

So we will need the sensor connectors now with a 24" length cable to relocate the sensor. So is there some agreement as to an appropriate length for the rt side hose? Changing this length will NOT effect the flow or function of the kit as that has been regulated by the fitting internal orifice.

I appreciate your understanding while we work out these kinks.

Bighorn

So it looks like we have some work to do on the CUCV interm kits. The test vehicle we used was a short term loaner and as it turns out it must have been a bit of a Frankenstein truck as well because it had the glow plug switch in the rear coolant plate and not the sensor I am seeing in your pics. So as mentioned you will want to maintain this in your system. If you do not have the HMMWV crossover you will not have an available port on the rt front of the crossover to relocate you sensor too. So as previously mentioned you will need to wait for the full CUCV kit. We will have to change these kits too now that I realize that our test truck is NOT representative of the majority of trucks out there.

Again this kit is an interm kit for those who have or are willing to add some HMMWV parts to thier CUCV to be able to run these.

The very first few kits had no wireing with them, the subsequent kits do but it now looks like those are wrong too because of the test truck again. I appreciate all the input to help get these right.

So we will need the sensor connectors now with a 24" length cable to relocate the sensor. So is there some agreement as to an appropriate length for the rt side hose? Changing this length will NOT effect the flow or function of the kit as that has been regulated by the fitting internal orifice.

I ordered your prototype cooling kit from ebay yesterday.
When I get it I will extend the electrical lines to the thermister just like Rustyshacklford and Drock.
No need to send wires to me (slapco1).
I am going to solder the appropriate length extensions and use the stock sensor connector.

Last edited:

Drock

I think 2" more on the passenger side hose would be fine. Also I think running it under the intake would help the angle of the Y fitting relative to the edge of the air filter housing. When I set mine up I left everything loose and let it find the path of least resistance. As for the wiring I (ADDED) 24" to the existing pigtail, so the whole thing was more like 27" finished. Also I was thinking if the truck has a stock crossover. You could perhaps provide a T fitting for the glow plug sensor to go in with the dummy temp sensor on the bottom front of the drivers side head?

Last edited:

Bighorn

I can measure that this evening.
I've got a sbc in one blazer and the 6.2 in the other.

I bought the HMWWV crossover on ebay for 50 bucks shipping included.
The other advantage of a thermostat spacer with two ports would be you could put the thermister in one and the bulb of an auxiliary temperature gauge in the other.
$37.99 on Summit racing gets you an allstar water neck spacer ALL30375 that is 1 inch thick and has four threaded ports.
The ports are 1/2" npt though.
Not sure what size that thermister is at the moment.
Joe's racing on Summit 36025 has 3 1/2 npt ports and 1. 5/8" x18 unft port. It's $49.95.
I'm not finding anything much cheaper than a used HWWMV crossover.

Drock

Well what you could do is use the thermostat spacer with 2 ports, and just run longer hoses strait into that with no "Y" fitting. Then some sort of (adapter) or ("T") off the original sensor block off plate so you can retain the sensor near it's original spot.

Bighorn

Hey Drock, how is your glow plug system working now with the sensor back in the system?
I know you said your glow times were excessively long when it was unplugged.
It seems like it could go anywhere really since as soon as the motor is turned off the whole thing probably equalizes in temperature after 20 minutes of so.
But I agree, putting the sensor right back into the same block off plate using some adaptor of some kind really simplifies the install; not having to splice factory wires etc.

Drock

Hey Drock, how is your glow plug system working now with the sensor back in the system?
I know you said your glow times were excessively long when it was unplugged.
It seems like it could go anywhere really since as soon as the motor is turned off the whole thing probably equalizes in temperature after 20 minutes of so.
But I agree, putting the sensor right back into the same block off plate using some adaptor of some kind really simplifies the install; not having to splice factory wires etc.
Now the glow plug system works just as it did before. I drove the truck again today and I still can't get over how much better it runs!:driver: We all know there's few mods you can do to a vehicle that you can ACUALLY tell the difference. This is one of those few. I'm very pleased!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks