• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Dead, almost

Seabee15

When cold won't start w/o spray...even then

Just bought a 86 6.2L m1008 cucv military truck. The seller told me that it does have a little bit of a hard time starting in the morning. What he says he does is press the accelerator half way down and turn the truck on (glow plugs). Then use Silcone Spray to spray into the air cleaner. Then he Said it should start right up.

Wrong.... Kind of

I do that, and i'll have to repeat the process 2 maybe 3 times before it starts. The seller said it could be the cold start solenoid going bad. What do you guys think? What should I check out? Fuel filter? Glow Plugs?? Or what?

Thanks

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
what ralbelt said.

I'll add you probably have an air leak in the fuel filter backing plate. You can get the whole assembly shipped to you for about $80 on Ebay. Bolts right up. Bleed the fuel system. Should solve all sorts of fuel delivery problems.

that and the glow plugs systems.

on the glow plug systems - has at any time in it's life has your 6.2L valve covers leaked? EVER? Mine seem to leak at the front, just a little. But over time, the oil will weep down into the connector and onto the top of the plug. Most folks drop the money on a new set of plugs and MANY comment on how the plugs they removed looked ok.

If you have had an oil leak, one at a time pull the electrical connector off and clean the connector. I use Qtips to get into all the nooks and crannies. Once it's clean, wipe down the top of the glow plug. Repeat this seven more times.

Replace the fuel filter backing plate.

I'll bet money it fires right up.

Keep us informed.

kc5mzd

You should never spray anything except ether into the air filter.
Silicone lubricant is ok if you remove the air filter. Be sure to make sure the spray is flammable first. I won't go into the details of how I found out some are not flammable...
You may want to start with the air filter. If it has any kind of oil or silicone buildup it won't let enough air in.

1986Blazerk5

what ralbelt said.

I'll add you probably have an air leak in the fuel filter backing plate. You can get the whole assembly shipped to you for about $80 on Ebay. Bolts right up. Bleed the fuel system. Should solve all sorts of fuel delivery problems.

that and the glow plugs systems.

on the glow plug systems - has at any time in it's life has your 6.2L valve covers leaked? EVER? Mine seem to leak at the front, just a little. But over time, the oil will weep down into the connector and onto the top of the plug. Most folks drop the money on a new set of plugs and MANY comment on how the plugs they removed looked ok.

If you have had an oil leak, one at a time pull the electrical connector off and clean the connector. I use Qtips to get into all the nooks and crannies. Once it's clean, wipe down the top of the glow plug. Repeat this seven more times.

Replace the fuel filter backing plate.

I'll bet money it fires right up.

Keep us informed.
I would go with a spin on fuel filter instead of the factory thats what i have and i love it, but you might also have a bad glow plug relay

Attachments

jatonka

I am having the same problem of not starting in the morning after a year of no trouble at all, I will watch here to see how you make out. JT out

Seabee15

Thank you all for the great input. I've purchased a new air filter and fuel filter. Now with the glow plugs, they look relatively new, still have the nice shine on them. But for the glow plug controller, how would you know if it went bad? Any way to test? Resistance Test?

Thank you! I will keep you all posted on the progress.

1stSarge

Good test procedure in the -34 manual, and from what I’ve seen, the relay is the weak link in the system, as well, as broken/dirty/corroded connections on the relay.

Jatonka, quick and easy: just check and clean the connections on the relay. Maybe?

Last edited:

Seabee15

Well, I bought this 86 CUCV M1008.

it is having a terrible time starting. I've just replaced the fuel and air filter. I can't start it with out removing the air cleaner housing and spraying some number 5 silicon in the intake manifold.

until today.

I've tried to start it, turned the key to the on position, went around to spray in the silicon, waited for the WAIT light to go off, then i would turn the key to the start position. It would crank but never fire up. I've repeated this procedure 5-6 times. It sounds like it would try to catch, but never does.

I think their maybe a glow plug problem, the glow plugs looks new, but I'm not sure about the controller. Where exactly is the controller on these trucks?

what do you guys think?!

Seabee15

i hear ya, The glow plugs relatively new, but the connectors look at little iffy. Where can i get new connectors? and is there a way to test the individual plugs? Remove them and check resistance?

Seabee15

I've searched "new glow plug controller" at the parts stores, and i've seen what it looks like, but I can't find where it is located under the hood.

I searched for the 86 k30 6.2 glow plug controller. Is this correct?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me start off with welcoming you to SteelSoldiers.

Every question you might have has more than likely be asnwered many times.

One word of advise, it is against the site rules to have multiple threads about the same problem.

----------------------------------------

Once again, these trucks are very simular to the civvy units but they are not exactly the same.

On other websites people ask questions about vehicles because the manuals are not redeally available. I do that my self.

The military trucks are differnet in that the manuals are available and can be downloaded for free. They are very detailed compared to Haynes or Chilton manuals.

So your first step is to read the CUCV stickys, download the manuals and read the troubleshooting sections to find your problem

Now to your issue.

It is either a glowplug problem or a fuel issue. When you installed the fuel filter did you follow the bleeding procedure? The tech manuals have step by step instructions on how bleed the fuel system and to troubleshoot the glowplugs.

There are even parts manuals that have the majority of the parts listed and pictured with the GM part numbers.

Most of the body parts and suspension are standard civvy parts. The some of the electrical parts are military only

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I searched for the 86 k30 6.2 glow plug controller. Is this correct?

No that is not correct.

The CUCVs where built to '84 specifications and did not receive the upgrades like the civvy versions. So a '86 CUCV would use "84 parts.

When looking for parts use the '84 K30 w/J-code engine to find your non-military parts.

The glowpulg controller is a military item and is not available at your local parts house. It is sometimes available at military surplus parts houses but is becoming a rare item. The do come up on ebay all the time but they are usually used.

Last edited:

Seabee15

I added photos.

But anyhow, dug into the truck today, removed the GP card, cleaned it up, and removed the GP themselves. The card looks fine with now burnt spots on it, and the glow plugs look ok.. The connectors to the GP were a little loose and i will replace them (what color connect would be best? blue? red?) and i was thinking of soldering the connectors and puting a insulated sheath over the connection point, would that be ok? or to much heat?

Here is what I found:

The glow plugs were a little oily, which i found out by a GM Tech thats ok if they aren't working properly. Which blue wire do you tap to the push button switch for manual operation, dark blue or light blue?

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks