• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV-II, South Florida Rebuild

67_C-30

Navistar casting! That's a nice upgrade. I wish there was an off the shelf truck pan availble for the newest GEP P400 6.5, but the Navistar block 6.5 will do just fine in your truck!

Attachments

Stonepicker1

Phil,
those pics of the old engine coming out look all too familiar :lol:
Truck looks great!
Lol, yes Craig, all tooooooooo familiar. those were some long nights changing the dually engine, But the weather is a lot warmer down here.[thumbzup]
I hope I can use some of these old 6.5 parts out of the COCV-II to fix the 6.5 in the M1028A2 dually. May only need a pistion.
I'll be pulling that engine next week while I wait on a new injection pump to go in for the CUCV-II.

Thanks again for all the help Craig and all the SC SS folks that helped me when I broke down back in Nov in SC.;-)

Stonepicker1

Navistar casting! That's a nice upgrade. I wish there was an off the shelf truck pan availble for the newest GEP P400 6.5, but the Navistar block 6.5 will do just fine in your truck!
Thanks 67_C=30. The new 6.5L Optimizer should give me some added HP and last a long time.

I would of bought the GEP P400 :drool: if it would of fit. It was only a few bills more.

67_C-30

Thanks 67_C=30. The new 6.5L Optimizer should give me some added HP and last a long time.

I would of bought the GEP P400 :drool: if it would of fit. It was only a few bills more.
No doubt! There are some people out there putting down some pretty big numbers with the Navistar block, so I'd say it would be nearly bulletproof tuned to near stock settings.

mangus580

Been there - done that... I replaced the 6.5 in my 95 Burb last year. For the record, you can lift the engine out with the torque converter attached to it still.

While you are putting it together, relocate your PMD - save yourself the hassle now! Maybe even buy the IP without the PMD and get the relocation kit from Heath Diesel.

I would steer away from SSdieselsupply unless you cant find it elsewhere. They are known to not stand behind their product 'that' well.

Stonepicker1

Been there - done that... I replaced the 6.5 in my 95 Burb last year. For the record, you can lift the engine out with the torque converter attached to it still.

Your right, I wasn't thinking. Thanks.

While you are putting it together, relocate your PMD - save yourself the hassle now! Maybe even buy the IP without the PMD and get the relocation kit from Heath Diesel.

Yes, I will locate the PMD under the front bumper somewhere.

I would steer away from SSdieselsupply unless you cant find it elsewhere. They are known to not stand behind their product 'that' well.
I have a guy trying to get me a new DS-5521S pump. If that fails, I think I can get a new, GM rebuilt from another guy.

Thanks

JOKEREMPIRE

As said, relocate the PMD (kit from Heath Diesel) and replace that stock harmonic balancer with a Fluidampr (also Heath Diesel) - I just did on my '98 Suburban 6.5 TD and it runs so much smoother now and I'll never have to think about a broken crank again because of faulty rubber in the stock balancer.

Heath Diesel Power 6.5 GM & Chevy Diesel Performance Truck Parts is who you'll want to deal with for all parts 6.5L TD, Bill and his team really know this engine inside & out.

OBD-2 Vehicle Explorer Scan Tool Browser for the Scan-tool if you have a laptop, works just fine.

Good luck with your truck and enjoy it once it's fixed - I love my 6.5L TD Suburban.

Steve

Stonepicker1

For that... I suggest AutoEnginuity® - OBD2 Scan Tool - Professional PC and PDA Diagnostics

buy the base package, and the enhanced GM pack. It will let you read codes etc on any OBDII, as well as with the GM pack, you will be able to diagnose almost every system in any GM OBDII vehicle. Well worth the $$.
Thanks for the web link. Price look great.
Order Online

JOKEREMPIRE

I forgot to add, you'll need the "VPW for GM and late DCX" cable from OBD-2.com price is $122 and download the "enhanced real time data base stream apps" for your engine from the download section. Also don't forget the "USB to rs232 serial port universal adapter" if your laptop has USB but no rs232 slots.

You might also want to look into the HeathDiesel Turbo-Master which eliminates your Vacuum pump (which will break sooner or later) and gives you the possibility to control your waste gate manually.

Link to that: Turbocharger Boost Controllers for GM 96-01 6.5T

//Edit: And you are welcome, of course.

Last edited:

JOKEREMPIRE

When I did my engine swap, I did the turbomaster, and removed the vac pump as part of the swap.... made life easier :)
It sure does.

I did mine cause the vac pump started making sounds and reading into it, I wasn't going to renew a weak system, instead I've used the Turbomaster and it sure was a different feel to it later as well, more responsive to the pedal.

So far I've done the PMD relocation, Turbomaster, Heath Heavy-duty liftpump, Fluidampr & Serpentine pully.
And replaced the alternator, which seized and ripped my belt - on the highway of course... what a joy that was lol...

Later this year I'll replace the injectors and glowplugs then I should be set for a while...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks