• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV-II, South Florida Rebuild

67_C-30

Lesson learned......always use new glow plug. Engine started to knock so I pulled over. The tip of the glow plug was missing when I pulled the plug out. I then pulled the injector out and found only half of the tip inside. The other half went into the top of the piston.

I'm going to try and used parts from the old 6.5 out of the CUCV-II (only 16,000 miles on engine)to fix the "almost new"GEP 6.5 engine in the dually.

Then I will install the Banks turbo kit that I have.
It should work out OK if it didn't hurt the block. I have a Navistar Block that spun a main bearing due to a broken oil cooler line. It came out of a '01 3500HD Power Co bucket truck. I am going to try to have it align honed, and buy a steel crank for to eventually repower my M1009. I have the Banks kit too, and I'm going to drive it with the 6.2 for a while, but I want to build another low compression engine. I built one a few years ago and it was a brute. I was running 18 psi with a Holset turbo. It was in a 8200# C3500 with heavy utility body on it. I can only imagine how an engine like that would run a 5200# M1009.

Muttdriver77

Hello Stonepicker,

could you post some pics of your modified PMD-Mount, whent it's done?
That would be great. I am in need of some good ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

kf4hoq

Cool truck!! Interior appears to be in good shape. Hey....it has A/C and a radio!!

That engine will really give it some get up and go!!

Stonepicker1

Worked on the engine tonight after work. Still waiting on the water pump to show-up.

looks like I'm finding most of the bolts. I got in a hurry and left the PMD on the pump.:sad: I was going to save that one as a spare. Guess I can't misplace that PMD.
I have a new PMD that will go under the front bumper.

Looking at getting a new fuel housing and filter also.

Overall I think it is looking pretty good.:D

Attachments

Stonepicker1

Some more pictures. I bought some black plastic tubing to cover the the glow plug wires up.
It's not easy putting this engine in by yourself. Getting everything to line up is a pain.

Looks like I will need a new driveshaft also(GL forklift) Its got a good kink in it. Pictures of this later.

Attachments

Stonepicker1

JOKER...
When you did the HeathDiesel Turbo-Master which eliminates your Vacuum pump...What did you do with the vacuum switch on top of the engine(post # 65, picture #2)
I'm just leaving it disconnected and removing the bracket all together. Should work, right.

mr.travo

Nice build! Keep the updates coming! It must of been an Air Force CUCV- A/C and radio! Where's the built in butler???? LOL! I wish I could get my hands on a CUCV II.

Stonepicker1

Did a lot of work on hooking-up all the little things today. Hard as H*ll trying to fine were all the bolts go when someone else took it apart 3 years ago.
Later tonight I'll see if I can finish installing the new 24volt starter with new starter bolts and the cross over pipe with new gaskets.
All the little things are adding $$$$ to this rebuild.

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The support bracket is for the direct drive starter. You will need the correct one for the gear reduction. Anouther $8.

Stonepicker1

The support bracket is for the direct drive starter. You will need the correct one for the gear reduction. Anouther $8.
Yep, your right on the bracket. I have right one somewhere in my stash, just can't fine it.
The exhaust gaskets that nap* gave me are wrong also. Back to the parts store in the morning.

I hooked-up the batteries to see if the electic fuel pump worked.....got a small leak at a fuel hose clamp.....I'll work on that after my parts run.

Lights, gages and radio all worked.:beer:

Stonepicker1

Engine starts and runs…:p….Official time of rebirth 2:41 pm, Sunday the 20th of 2011. Took a little time to get all the air out of the fuel system, fixed a fuel leak at the bottom of the fuel filter housing (o-ring for the fuel heater). Engine sounds very strong. Next step new transmission filter and fluid. Still have to buy all the gage’s and get a new driveshaft.:beer:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't wait to see this truck on the road.

Thanks for all the posts and picture. Great job.

Stonepicker1

while your right there and spending good coin on the truck change out that front diff lube with some quality synthetic lube. GM has a bulitin on this b/c of a high rate of failiers. Sweet truck!
ODdave, is the differential lube SAE 75W-140 Synthetic(GM 12346140)

Found a Driveline shop just south of me in Davie, FL. he can make me a new driveshaft with a three day turn around.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks