• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV-II, South Florida Rebuild

Stonepicker1

Has she accepted the 30KW genset yet? LOL. That should be a really nice truck. Be a better road truck than the M1028s.
Yes, she found the invoice for the 30kw. She wasn't happy at first. I have to go to Tampa 28-Feb-4th-March for work, then I have Military duty Sat and Sun. I'll try to get my trailer and gen out of your yard when I get back.

Stonepicker1

I bought some new headlights from Walm**t and one of the new lights was bad, I put one of the old ones back in for now. Used small carboard to hold the screws in place.

Attachments

Stonepicker1

I just got back from a week long road test from Ft. Lauderdale, FL to Tampa, FL. Total of 615 miles. The truck is outstanding !!!!!. Power+Speed+AC+Radio+Low Noise inside Cab:-D

Here are some pictures on I-275 in St. Pete going into Tampa. I was on my way home today and looks like I'm getting around 19 MPG.

Attachments

Stonepicker1

It's kind of funny, I bought the truck in Tampa in 2008 and trailered it home, stopping in Lake Worth at the TSC store on the way. Now 3 years later it makes it first trip back to Tampa and I stop at the same store(this time not on a trailer).

First two pictures are at TSC parking lot in 2008 and the next two are from today in the same parking lot.:)

Attachments

WARWAG

Congratulations Stonepicker1! The rig is looking very nice. Speed, Power, AC and tunes! Thats funny because today I was in my M1028 (1986) and driving down the road at 55 mph. Engine noise,wind noise, wing window whistling some God Aweful high pitched tune that was actually hurting my ears and was loving every minute of it! lol. I know it must be nice to have a CUCV that has all of the comforts of a modern vehicle. If you think about it you have a brand new vehicle for about 1/3rd the cost of a new one! Excellent thread.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like we lost Phil. He went to the dark side (air conditioned). Maybe there will be a fire sale of CUCVs at his AO.

Stonepicker1

Thanks WARWAG !!!

I'm not done with this CUCV-II yet. Its going to get some cool add-ons and a new paint job. Just don't know if I'll keep it TAN or go CAMO.(the wife says TAN is OK but she doesn"t like CAMO, I think I'll paint it CAMO just because. lol)
One of my Soldiers has the scan tool so on Sunday I'll clear the codes and make sure everything is good.

Stonepicker1

Looks like we lost Phil. He went to the dark side (air conditioned). Maybe there will be a fire sale of CUCVs at his AO.
Kenny,

I still love my Dually. When I get that engine fixed and Banks Turbo installed(another rebuild thread soon to come) I'll be driving it as I know my wife will want the CUCV-II for herself.:roll:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Phil, if your getting ahold of someone with a Tech II, have them set the TD offset learn to
-1.94. I used to have all mine set to that and it really wakes them up. Some folks go to -2.02 but I hear that the bottom end of the motor will suffer from that. Be warned, at that offset learn, they rattle quite a bit.

lavarok

You have to turn the pump to change the actual offset. The Tdc Offset learn just learns the value for where the pump is at.

I have a laptop with "carcode" up here in Palm Bay. I also have some custom bent wrenches to get to the 3 bolts holding the pump in place. If you have the right wrenches and with the upper intake off, its very easy to loosen/tighten the bolts and adjust the timing by rotating the pump. My 96 'burb with a 6.5l turbo is at -1.94 right now.

If you make it up this way, I'd be glad to help you check and adjust the timing.

Stonepicker1

You have to turn the pump to change the actual offset. The Tdc Offset learn just learns the value for where the pump is at.

I have a laptop with "carcode" up here in Palm Bay. I also have some custom bent wrenches to get to the 3 bolts holding the pump in place. If you have the right wrenches and with the upper intake off, its very easy to loosen/tighten the bolts and adjust the timing by rotating the pump. My 96 'burb with a 6.5l turbo is at -1.94 right now.

If you make it up this way, I'd be glad to help you check and adjust the timing.

Thanks Kenny and Lavarok for the info.

Lavarok, I might just take you up on your offer.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Phil, if you do decide to go up to Ian's house, I have a 6.2 can here that I need to get to him if you have room.

Stonepicker1

Not a problem, I'll know by Sunday night. Might make the trip Monday(my day off) if your not working. We can load it in the back of the truck. Or on my trailer(just switch out my can for Ian's can. I need to put my old engine that is on the back of my trailer into my can also)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a problem, I'll know by Sunday night. Might make the trip Monday(my day off) if your not working. We can load it in the back of the truck. Or on my trailer(just switch out my can for Ian's can. I need to put my old engine that is on the back of my trailer into my can also)
I'm working Monday for certain but I can make this happen a few ways.

1) I can sling the can and all you would have to do is back under it and drop the boom on the truck.

2) I can put your engine in your can and either move it off the trailer and put Ian's can on or I can put both on. Didn't know if you planned on returning the trailer or taking it south when you are done.

If you don't go, I'll get it up there when my schedule allows, no worries!

BTW, I also have the spanner wrench that hooks to the pump for easy turning if Ian doesn't have one!

Last edited:

lavarok

The spanner wrench sounds fancy...I used a long pry bar on the back side of the pump in between the injection outlets.

Just give me a call or send me a message when/if you want to come up.

Stonepicker1

Just ordered a 3 gauge setup: Ultra Lite II Series Gauges, Boost 0-35psi, Trans Temp 100-250 deg F, Pyrometer 0-1600 deg F. All with senders. Also a three pod, A-Pillar for the gauges. Total $ 364.00 shipped.

Got my Spanner Wrench in the mail today also. eB*Y $ 48.00 and a NEW, Fuel filter Assy. eB*y $96.00 ( thinking about getting two fuel gages, mounting one before the filter and one after)

I'll post pictures when I do the install.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks