• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV-II, South Florida Rebuild

Stonepicker1

I love the affordability/availability of parts for these 6.2/6.5's. A set of new injectors for $225 is a good price.
Thanks, I just got another set for $174 shipped from the same guy. That makes 24 new Stanadyne # 37818 injectors I have on-hand now.

Had to replace the drivers side door handle today GM# 15708043 LH cost about $36.00 shipped. Took all of 20 min to do.

Attachments

Stonepicker1

After my 6,000 plus road trip two weeks ago,
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/transportation-needs/86307-florida-ga-sc-nc-va-md-oh-mi-al-la.html

I had Military duty that weekend. When I went to return home I got into the truck and started it up....after about 30 sec it shut off. Tried to restart and all it did was crank....looked at the exhaust and no smoke. Waited 1/2 hour and tried it again. Same thing...started then died with no start after that.
I have the PMD behind the front bumper and I think it may of been the problem(PMD).....I replaced it with a new, updated PMD spare I had on-hand. It started right up and I drove it 40 miles to the house with no problems yet. Glad this happen close to home.

I ordered from Heath Diesel there MAX E TORK TG SERIES TOWING PROGAM.
Max E Tork TG Series Towing Progam Upgrade 1996-2000 C-K [gm9601] - $395.00 : Heath Diesel, On-line Store
I'll let you know how it works out after the install. Should have it in two weeks(they are backloged)

chevyCUCV

Stupid ds4 pumps and PMD's:twisted:
Only thing that is keeping me away from a 90's 6.5 and hopefully a CUCV2 one day

At least you were prepared with a spare, and have it mounted in the right location:gimp2:

combatmech

I have been having a similar issue with the K3500 pick-up. Stalls from time to time during acceleration. When it does happen, it either clears up when I let off on the gas or the engine quits. After re-start, it's fine.
Plan on changing the fuel filter first.

Stonepicker1

I have been having a similar issue with the K3500 pick-up. Stalls from time to time during acceleration. When it does happen, it either clears up when I let off on the gas or the engine quits. After re-start, it's fine.
Plan on changing the fuel filter first.
Have you tried pulling any codes......During my trip I had the same problem....cleared the codes and it ran like a new truck.

Start looking for a new PMD(get an updated one) The first one only lasted me 42,000 miles.
Good luck.

ps: yes, my truck has over 57,000 mile now.

combatmech

When I bought the truck the only code we got was "turboboost solenoid", which I changed. I have not had the codes checked since then, I'll have them checked later this week.
I googled the PMD, usdiesel.com has the updated one. The truck has 126,000 miles on it. No idea what was done to it while it was Army. I did have an oil pressure problem, it would drop to zero after the engine was warm at idle. Installed new oil pressure switch and she's been good to go.
Along with the PMD, should I start looking at an injector pump soon? No idea when or if it had been replaced. The IP and injectors look fairly new.
You got really lucky on your mileage....For the miles that mine came with, doesn't look used and abuse inside or out. She is going to be one of my moving trucks come September when I go back to Texas...need to get the bugs worked out of her before then.
Thanks again Phil [thumbzup]

Stonepicker1

Attachments

Last edited:

Stonepicker1

Had a fuel leak from the top of the injector pump the other day..the o-ring for "optical sensor" was leaking fuel pass the "c-clip" that holds the sensor in place. I had a spare o-ring and c-clip from the pump that I replaced last year, so no money out of pocket...had it fixed in 1/2 hour.

I also had a bad squeaking noise when you first start the truck...louder when you turn the A/C on....Ordered a new belt from "rock Auto" for $13.00(closeout price)......replaced the belt tonight and truck now sounds good.

Truck now has over 62,855 miles on it and is running strong.:D

I was going to repaint the truck "Tan", but now I'm leaning to the 3-CAMO.2cents

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had to get a new set of tires today. The old ones were dry rot and the belts came apart inside the tire. I went from Goodyear LT245/75/16E to Michellin LT265/75/16E AT II. Bought 5 tires total at $225 each tire:cookoo: and a $59.00 alignment.

It sure rides nice 8)
Hey Stonepicker,

How are your tires holding up?I need a set for my II and have always had good luck with Michelins. I think I will also go with a highway tire instead of a mud tire.

I also finally ordered a receiver hitch from Amazon. The had a "new/used" unit for $142 instead of the usual $208. And free shipping. It is the same number you posted from the crewcab. I'll let you know how the install goes.

Last edited:

Stonepicker1

Hey Stonepicker,

How are your tires holding up?I need a set for my II and have always had good luck with Michelins. I think I will also go with a highway tire instead of a mud tire.

I also finally ordered a receiver hitch from Amazon. The had a "new/used" unit for $142 instead of the usual $208. And free shipping. It is the same number you posted from the crewcab. I'll let you know how the install goes.
I have over 45,000 miles on these Michellin tires and they still look new. I'll be getting more for the other CUCV-II's.
Hitch number was 41901

Stonepicker1

I pulled the head off tonight, I didn't have compression on the number 2 cylinder, it was popping back through the intake so I removed the intake valve to see what I could find. Looks like it wasn't seating from what I can see in the pictures.

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you going to have the head reworked? I'm sure it is out of warranty.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks