• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cucv ii

southrnmojo08

I have recently purchased a 1995 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4 2-Door and was wanting to do some CUCV II conversions mainly cosmetic but axles would be interesting. Any idea who got the contract to militarize these Tahoe's? Or does anyone know if the old CUCV bumpers, axles etc retro? Attached is a really cool ad picture that shows the rig very well. Thanks

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been kicking this idea around as the CUCV II 's are very scarce. A Tahoe version sold last year on Ebay, I think it came from GL in Montana. Not much is different on the Tahoes, mainly the front and rear bumpers and a blackout light. I believe these trucks were built as CUCV II's on the assembly line, just like CUCV I's. The axles and bumpers are not the same as CUCV I's. It would appear that GM had the dies for the usual bumpers modified so they could stamp the extra holes. I think it would be very difficult to locate these parts on the loose.

Welcome to the site, BTW.

topgun217

I may be wrong, but if you googlw cucvII or cucv2, you should find something. I remember seeing a page somewhere. GM did everyhting jsut as the cucv, all special for the military. There were only a few thousand made as opposed to the 80 thousand original cucv's.

topgun217

I believe the bumpers are from 3/4 regular ck p/u's, but I agree with NDT, GM probably has the special punch for the blackout light slots. Check the bumpers in LCM and you'll see them there, minus the b/o light holes.

I have pics of the LSSV (I called it a CUCVIII, I think) at Phelps Collins Air National Guard base that I took in 2004. I'll look those up. Don't think they'll be up for auction any time soon.

Found some already scanned:

Attachments

4bogginchevys

Unfortunately they dont build them like they used to :cry:. We'll be lucky if they move under thier own power in 15 years.....those are from the generation of "throw away trucks". They really look good, would be nice to have one now, before the computer crap decides to stop working.:-D

todds112

Nice. The first set of those I saw were on the "Camp David Package" armored Suburbans that the Vice President used when he came here. They were plain aluminum colored. USSS guys got a little weired out when I started asking a bunch of questions about them, run flat, 2 piece combat rims, etc.

southrnmojo08

Thank you gentlemen. It may perhaps end up being a custom application, based on the rarity of these CUCV II M1008A1. If they are 3/4 ton bumpers then that should not be too much of an issue along with the axles.

moleary

Nice. The first set of those I saw were on the "Camp David Package" armored Suburbans that the Vice President used when he came here. They were plain aluminum colored. USSS guys got a little weired out when I started asking a bunch of questions about them, run flat, 2 piece combat rims, etc.
LOL - did you tell them you don't give two s**ts about our VP, you came to see their rims?

todds112

We worked with them frequently. Cheney has a house here. Got to be old hat after a while, but their toys were really cool. I don't how many motorcades I was lead car in. Kind of fun, but kind of a nuisance too after a while. USSS guys were really nice, mostly kids, very professional.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks