• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV2/CUCV-II Owners, post pics and info of your truck

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up a CUCV II today. Since they're so rare I didn't have much choice in condition. It's going to need a lot of metal work and a donor parts car, but at least it runs and has a title.

Attachments

Another Ahab

Picked up a CUCV II today. Since they're so rare I didn't have much choice in condition. It's going to need a lot of metal work and a donor parts car, but at least it runs and has a title.
Nice score!

You saw it up close, so you know about the metal work needed.

But from the pic, the sheetmetal looks good-to-great, where are the problem areas?

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice score!
You saw it up close, so you know about the metal work needed.
But from the pic, the sheetmetal looks good-to-great, where are the problem areas?
Just like a woman, I can shave off 100lbs with the right camera angles. I also shaved off 100 lbs of rusted sheet metal with my pressure washer.

Attachments

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up another CUCV II. Ex-Air Force vehicle. It's a very clean tahoe but is missing most of the CUCV II stuff, so I'm going to combine parts from my other CUCV II with this one to make a solid vehicle. I also will be repainting it to 383 green. My other CUCV II is just too far gone for the amount of time that I would need to put into it. After I take off the parts I want I'll sell the old one.

If anyone who has a CUCV II with the 24v system could contact me, I would appreciate it. I am also looking for the TMs for a CUCV II, the only ones I have found are for an LSSV and there ae differences. I want to convert this one back to 24V so I can jump my other military vehicles if needed.

Attachments

Another Ahab

Still trying to figure out how to reinstall the 24v system. The label is faded but the relay on the left is marked "24V".
You can never be sure any label is accurate, but the thought there is sure helpful:

- Labelling what is going on for the "next guy", that has to deal with the install

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still trying to figure out how to reinstall the 24v system. I found these two relays and one disconnected wire. Haven't traced where it goes yet, put a multimeter on it and there is no voltage. The label is faded but the relay on the left is marked "24V".
Read Stonepicker1 ancient posts about this subject. There is a 12/24 converter that is (was) mounted somewhere. It charges the second battery when a voltage signal tells it the ignition is on. Also need a 24 volt starter.

Monkeyboyarmy

Converters for the blazers were behind the panel on the right rear I think. The pickups had them behind the seat. Mine was missing and I picked one up on the _bay that was a takeout from newer jeeps that were being used over seas.

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Converters for the blazers were behind the panel on the right rear I think. The pickups had them behind the seat. Mine was missing and I picked one up on the _bay that was a takeout from newer jeeps that were being used over seas.
Do you have a part number for the converter? According to the CUCV II reference manual that was in my glovebox, the converter behind the seat was only for a 24v radio power supply.

Monkeyboyarmy

Search Vanner converter. It is SP00158-GEL. Good for 50 amps. Seams to work pretty good. I believe that it cuts on when the 12 volt side reaches about 14 volts. I'll see the volt gauge pulse while it cycles on and off.

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe that it cuts on when the 12 volt side reaches about 14 volts. I'll see the volt gauge pulse while it cycles on and off.
Interesting. I have attached a picture of the manual I have and it shows a different model. The description also makes it sound like the main purpose of the of the power supply is to power a radio instead of charging the 24v battery system.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks