• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCVRUS Repair Projects

cucvrus

Today was one of them uneventful days at the shop. I had an S10 in for leaking fuel lines. It was my Son's truck. We removed the bed and everything was going well until we reached the fuel lines. It was an open the wallet and spend all the cash repair or just replace what was broken. Leaking in this case. The fuel lines were leaking under the cab. I suggested removing the bed to replace the lines. Well. The sending unit would have broken. The fuel tank would have needed replaced. It was all dry and only the metal lines were crispy rusty where they were snapped into the holder. I went to the hardware store and bought a 2-5/16" & 2- 3/8" compression to barbed connections and pulled off the repair. Cost labor 2 hours and brass fittings $45. . Seems like a lot for the fittings but imagine the cost of the sending unit , hoses , and a fuel tank. I think it will go a few more years and with nothing wasted but a few hours of time. Sometimes you step back and think about things and you can fix them without emptying the wallet. Besides I like fixing things. Be Safe and Take Care. This too shall pass.

cucvrus

I was looking at the fine bodywork on the M1028. Someone was real handy with the aluminum flashing. DSCF7138.JPGI also made a trailer saddle out of a rusty spring mount from an M1031 I scrapped years ago. It is nice to keep the trailer hitch from digging and setting in mud when not in use. I had one for 25 years and the last time I was at the scrap recycler a helper that went along scrapped it with the rest of the scrap. Easy project made from scrap I had setting outside. “If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.” Be Safe and Take Care.DSCF7139.JPGDSCF7140.JPGDSCF7141.JPGDSCF7142.JPGDSCF7141.JPG

cucvrus

I am writing this post to ask the people that have parts ordered from me to please be patient. I have attempted to make it to the shipper and each time the line was long. The social distance orders are in effect and the shipper is also a hardware store that Ace offers curbside order filling. It really bogged them down. please be patient. I will let you with a few pictures of years back when my Crown of Thorns M1009 was still mine and in complete plumage ready to work at a moments notice. Today I am off to crush cars. What could be more fun than crushing cars during a world wide pandemic. Seriously Take Care and Be Safe. I will get my orders out after the panic lightens up. Thank You All. 001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG005.JPG

cucvrus

On Friday while I was working at the salvage yard I seen this 2018 Dodge Charger police car. I am NOT a Dodge fan at all but I was surprised to see how much of the taxpayers equipment they just left in the car when the scrapped it. I guess they were NOT going to replace this car with another Charger. Such a waste. 001.jpg002.jpgAnd then meanwhile some old stuck in the mud pictures. And what the picture don't show is the loaded trailer behind the M1009. Today was a nicer day for cutting wood and using the M1028 to its full potential. No worries about scratching the paint while going thru the bush. All Oak from a recent logging area. No virus in the woods. The 2 cycle fumes kill the germs. Hard work also helps keep it at bay. Good Luck. Be Safe.92951830_3403376379677811_4140115965289431040_ncucv wood.jpg93303590_3403376319677817_2934729090109800448_nwood.jpgEnjoy this wonderful Spring like weather. I have a ton of projects in the plans for today. I am happy for a helpful Family and Friends. Happy Easter.

Attachments

cucvrus

While multi tasking between several major projects I am also involved in the building of a jaw crusher for crushing stone. blocks. bricks, concrete anything that fits. The Yanmar diesel engine will power this unit. Waiting on the main shaft to get rolling along again. Lots of steel and lots of welding. This will be a towable unit. The crushed stone size will be adjustable. Thanks for looking. I got to some CUCV work completed today. Just a little is enough.

Attachments

dougco1

While multi tasking between several major projects I am also involved in the building of a jaw crusher for crushing stone. blocks. bricks, concrete anything that fits. The Yanmar diesel engine will power this unit. Waiting on the main shaft to get rolling along again. Lots of steel and lots of welding. This will be a towable unit. The crushed stone size will be adjustable. Thanks for looking. I got to some CUCV work completed today. Just a little is enough.
Looks like you have that social distancing down to a tee.

cucvrus

I have answered a few people on PM's and emails in reference to the correct fuel pump for the stock 6.2 diesel. I have a picture that makes quick identification of the correct one. It is as easy as this. comparison fuel pumps.jpg

The top fuel pump is incorrect. The spring over the lever and the slight curve in the lever make it incorrect. It will fit on the CUCV perfectly but the eccentric on the engine does not depress the lever far enough to get fuel delivery. If you hold this pump in your hand and depress the lever it has no resistance until deep into the depression cycle.

The fuel pump on the bottom is the correct one. Note the spring will be under the lever set back into the housing and the lever is short and straight. The resistance is immediate on lever compression and the pumping takes place within the first 3/4" - 1" of compression. I hope that helps.

I attached the correct one from Autozone. https://www.autozone.com/external-engine/fuel-pump/delphi-diesel-fuel-pump-chfp906/489890_0

Be Safe. Take Care.

cucvrus

I always say how I like building things from scrap and repurposed items. I built this little Honda hauler from a 13 HP hydrostatic Honda lawn tractor. It is a very handy unit to do many tasks. I have a Kubota loader but this gets in tighter places with the hand truck trailer set up and does a lot less damage to the lawn and areas around the property. Just sharing. I did tape up the entire unit after I removed the body and painted it 686 desert tan. Hoping to get onto completing my current M1009 build. Take Care. DSCF7302.JPGDSCF7303.JPGDSCF7304.JPG

cucvrus

M1009 Down. Big Trouble. Simple fix will turn into a major chain reaction of repairs. After 20 years on the snow plow use and off road only use this M1009 has seen a lot of use and much more abuse. Not as much abuse as some I see on the road. This is still basically all stock. I was out back dragging a stone lot with the plow and I noticed the steering was getting very squirrely. I looked at the linkage and it seemed fine. I backed up and it was really bad. I went to drive back to the shop and the front wheels would not go where I was steering. I radioed for a tow motor and we carried it down to the shop. 1 bolt was still holding the steering box on the frame. DSCF7311.JPGDSCF7312.JPGImagine a garage was paid to replace that steering box last year. As soon as I seen the nut on the outside of the steering box I knew the issue. The shoulder on the upper rear bolt was to long and bottomed on the gear box. They added a nut and tightened it in an attempt to lock the box in place. Step back. If the box is not tight on the frame a nut added to the other side of the threads protruding will not make it tighter. But that is what you get. Big companies don't like the liability of employees with expired certifications working on company owned vehicles. I always say OK. Guess who gets the repair. It all pays the same. The rag joint is wasted and imagine that I found all 4 of the spacers on the frame under the truck. I accounted for all 4 bolts also.DSCF7313.JPGDSCF7314.JPGDSCF7314.JPGDSCF7315.JPGDSCF7316.JPG Being we only plowed 1 snow storm this year it was great to happen now. I am out in the nice weather working on it. I see ball joints and tie rod ends also. I am going to go over the entire vehicle for function not perfection. It is a plow truck and I have already made irreversible repairs to the floor and body panels. Have welder will weld. Heavy steel lasts longer in rust belt areas. Be Safe. More Later. And imagine this M1009 came here perfect with 38K on it. And the fun continues.

Last edited:

cucvrus

cucvrus

Still outside working on the M1009. I mentioned before that this 09 has been rusted beyond repair. The rockers are made from 3" x 3" x 1/4" steel angle and the floor was welded together with 12 gauge galvaneal. it has held up well the past 10 years. The dash pad was perfect but is now showing some cracks. Be Safe and Have a Great Day. DSCF7317.JPG

cucvrus

Tearing into the M1009 way past the point of return. They either fix it or junk it. The engine starts and runs. Not the greatest but it has injected a few tons of dust and dirt over the past 20+ years here on the lot. The front lock outs are held on with TX20 screws and it required the beating in of TX25 and TX 30 bits to get them off. Superwinch is not one of my favorite hubs. They were solid rust and dirt inside. DSCF7323.JPGDSCF7329.JPGPulled the axle on the right. DSCF7324.JPGThat is a very nice worn out U joint. DSCF7325.JPGExcellent brake hosesDSCF7326.JPGDSCF7327.JPGNow to beat the knuckle off the axle housing. Both Ball joints are scrap. I would say if you never replaced the ball joints on your M1009 they are also scrap. The stock ball joints had no zerk to grease and time has long dried and worn out the ball joints. DSCF7327.JPGOnto the drivers side. DSCF7328.JPGSame deal. Lots of rust and crud to deal with. Not my job. I wasn't certified to do this. Now in tough times my certification is not needed. Strange how that works when the chips are down. Of course full mask and social distancing is in effect. Social distancing always in effect at my place when the hard work begins. Take Care and Be Safe.

cucvrus

And the beating with the sledge hammer continues. Everything is apart. Now I will get a parts list together. They either buy the parts and I do the labor or into the shredder with the whole vehicle. I am a good guy to get it back together even with expired certification. Nothing was broken taking it apart so it should be an easy task getting it back together with new parts. Note the bushings missing from the brake calipersDSCF7335.JPGDSCF7336.JPGNice rust on inner and outer fender. easy fix longer rubber mud flap needed. No cost repair. DSCF7330.JPGAll parts removed. DSCF7331.JPGDSCF7332.JPGlack of grease makes things bind and tends to lead to failure. DSCF7333.JPGDSCF7334.JPGRight axle inner seal is leaking gear oil. That's minor and I am not going to even address that. That is above my skill level. I usually remove the front axles and send them out for seal replacement. A $50. bill always gets me a set of new seals with the axle on the tailgate. Works for me when I need it done. Most times I have the frame out from under the CUCV. Take Care. I will draw up a parts list and get some prices. Waiting for approval takes linger than the repairs. Take Care and Be Safe.

cucvrus

All 4 ball joints removed and now onto getting a complete parts list together. I used a C clamp ball joint press, a vise, and a Milwaukee cordless impact to remove the ball joints. No insane beating with a hammer. About 15 minutes and both knuckles were stripped. Camera didn't take pictures during the procedure. More later. Be Safe and Take Care.DSCF7346.JPG

Last edited:

cucvrus

The C Clamp makes child's play out of the entire ball joint and U joint job.DSCF7347.JPG No beating with Hammers going on here. Both axle U joints are wasted.DSCF7348.JPGDSCF7349.JPGDSCF7350.JPGThe right side was obvious. The left side would have past the blind taste test. But I always replace in pairs. No point in tearing down this far and reassembling with questionable parts in place. It's a Simple Task. Do it right the first time and never look back. The steering box coming off the frame had many reasons to do so. I am away from this job till Tuesday 05/26/2020. Have a Great Weekend. Fishing is in the plans for tomorrow. Be Safe and Be Careful.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Idle Hands are the Devil's Workshop. I bought a car locally it was a good deal. It needs an engine replacement because it was run out of oil. I hate when that happens. I looked the car over it was clean and loaded with options. I went about acquiring a replacement engine and I was surprised. I looked again at the car it is a Mazda 3 and it was "Made in Japan". DSCF7351 - Copy.JPGThe replacement engine was delivered and it was stripped of any of the covers and manifolds. I looked at the engine block and it had FoMoCo embossed in the casting of the block. DSCF7352 - Copy.JPGI have nothing against Ford but I think the little Japanese engines in Honda's, Subaru's and all are great little engines. I was surprised to see that engine was a FORD engine. Changed my whole perspective on Mazda. My wife had a Mazda 3 back in 2005 and it was new. I never knew that had a FoMoCo engine in it. It was a great fun car. But then again we kept it serviced and checked the oil. Everything needs to be checked no matter how confident you are. Not CUCV related as far as the Mazda goes. But checking out everything on a 37 year old CUCV is wise. Most need more work then the person that owns it even knows about. Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend. I want to get high this weekend.DSCF7319.JPGBe Safe and Take Care. Fly them American Flags.

Attachments

Last edited:

cucvrus

Another set back for my snow plow project. Pressed out NOT beat out. It was insanely tight getting the U joint out. I only noticed the break when I went to reassemble. Not my truck and my problem. Be Safe and Enjoy the nice weather. DSCF7393.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks