• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Custom Deuce on craigslist - $8000

airmech3839

I think it looks weird.......but the guy who made it obviously likes that look.....or does he if he is trying to sell????....hmmmmmm

I personally think it is not a good look for the truck.....but that is my opinion and I am not saying that it should not have been done!! Maybe a winch would perk it up? or a gun ring?

clpo

I like it alot. To each his own. Supremely practical. Put a locker in each axle and....wow. And if that roll bar is functional and not just a light bar, it is a great addition. I have a photo of a similar truck with supersingles, camo paint. Looks great. And no, I won't apologize for liking it. Nothing says I can't have a stock deuce, a shortended 6x6, and a bobbed 4x4!

BugEyeBear

I don't have an issue with the look...
(ALTHOUGH I would want to paint "Tonka" on the tailgate!)

My only concern would be to question HOW it was shortened!?
-IF the frame was shortened from the rear & the springs & axles were relocated fwd I'd want to see if it was done correctly...
-BUT IF a big chunk was cut out of the middle of the frame, and then the two ends welded back together, I'd have MUCH BIGGER concerns about the methods involved and the downstream impact on the integrity of the chassis.

Do what you want to your own truck. I support that. Just make certain it is safe.

But Buyer Beware to anyone buying a 10000lb+ vehicle with a modified chassis! Make certain you know what you are buying!

surewriting

Personally, I think its pretty neat; wouldnt mind owning one myself (but then again, I wouldnt mind owning any kind of running vehicle- keep breaking things lol).

I saw this in person a couple of months ago- next to a stock deuce, and talked to the guy who was selling it for a minute- he said the frame was shortened in the rear (I think) something like 2-3 feet, and the axles moved forward. He also had it lifted where the springs attach to the frame, it looked like the section of frame they bobbed in the back had been attached underneath where the springs would normally (normally if it wasnt lifted, that is), and welded up and had a big ol' plate bolting them together too, and the springs were attached to that. I guess what Im trying to picture is they doubled up frame rails where the springs attach, and had the springs attach lower, so the truck sits higher.

Anyways, I thought it was pretty cool, and the guy said he can turn any duece into it for about $7000- hes got a builder down in north florida who does all the work (didnt get any names)

And since its built for playing off-road, a roll bar makes sense, as well as the tank in the bed.

BugEyeBear

....the guy said he can turn any duece into it for about $7000-....

...And since its built for playing off-road, a roll bar makes sense, as well as the tank in the bed.

Yeah, I'LL BET HE CAN mod any deuce like this for $7000!!!

& a roll bar is only a roll bar if it is actually strong enough to support the weight of the truck when it is rolled over! Otherwise it is simply a "light bar". That bar is WAY TOO LIGHTWEIGHT to serve as a roll bar!
(HMMMmmmm... I wonder if Ian will fab up a roll cage for the Xtreme Deuce?!?)

Gas Tank Relocation is not a bad idea. BUT it should be protected from possible damage caused by shifting cargo in the bed. It would have been better if he had fabbed up a protective cover for the tank OR just fabbed up a custom tank out of thicker material.

& I still would take a very close look at how those rear springs were attached to the frame or doubled?-frame.........

surewriting

when I peered at it, the spring mounts looked pretty beefy- if i recall correctly, one of our fellow steelsoldiers members did the same thing to his truck (I think hes running 53" super-singles on one heck of a nice-looking truck)- basically welded and attached plate and bolted a block of additional frame underneath the original frame, and had the springs mount there instead.

And as for the rollbar, I didnt look at it too closely- may or may not have been tied into the frame, or even thick enough to support a roll-over, but some protection is better than none, but like you said, it could very well be a glorified light bar lol.

BugEyeBear

Here's a better attempt at a Roll Cage!
(on an old GMC M135, but you get the idea.....)

Even THIS cage would probably fail to support the truck's weight, but given that it is a multi-point cage that surrounds the cockpit a greater level of protection is afforded.

Attachments

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...... basically welded and attached plate and bolted a block of additional frame underneath the original frame, and had the springs mount there instead.
Soooo, that means he had access to a second frame or a second truck. I'm figuring that is part of the reason for the $7k mod price.

How did he lift the front? Were the frames stacked to the front bumper or did he use lifted springs?

Rick

BugEyeBear

MAYBE ITS JUST ME but the truck doesn't look lifted to me.....

The axles centers appear to be at about the same height as (or just below) the running board step. That's the same as on my stock deuce......

salafrae

I think the best idea and safest bet is to be smart enough not to do things that would ROLL such an iron beast. Yeah off road is fun.. but there is a certain smarts about it. There is a fine line between adventure and stupidity! :!:

jollyroger

You are correct that there is a fine line between adventure and stupidity. However I would like to add that if you wheel long enough stuff is gonna happen. Dumb stuff that you would never really anticipate would happen. Such as on my farm we had a trail that drove right along the creek. I forged that trail 20 years ago. I drove my 44,000 lb. tractor on this trail all the time. Last summer a friend of mine was driving along the trail after winching a guy out of the creek and the bank gave way. He rolled 1 and 1/2 times into the creek and landed on his lid in the water. All i'm sayin is that stuff happens to everyone weather you are ready for it or not. ;-)

Attachments

jollyroger

I forgot. I like the concept of the truck. I don't like the roll bar. It could actually be a roll bar if it was made out of the right material with sufficient wall thickness and tied back into the frame. I don't think the floor of the bed is tough enough to withstand a full roll. JMO. On my Jeep cages we use 1.5 DOM with a 1.88 wall thickness or bigger tube and about the same thickness. These Jeeps weigh anywhere from 4000# to 6000#. A regular Deuce weighs 13000# W/O W. What I am curious about is how the truck steers off road. It has the potential to turn inside a regular W/B deuce. What I am thinking is that with the dual axle setup that close to the front it will want to push the front end rather than turn. This is what our JD 6 wheel Gator does if the rear tires are low. What JD does to get away from this problem is they raise the front set of wheels about an inch compared to the rears. That way if you are in the soft stuff they just scrub but on the harder surfaces they don't actually touch. Rear tire scrub would be an issue I would think. I would like to run it with lockers in the rear at least and that would accentuate these problems. Again. Not trying to knock the guy down. I like the idea. I just want to know how well it works.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks