• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

custom trailer build thread

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
WM, that, uh, certainly qualifies as "custom". No one else has one, uh, quite like that!
That trailer actually made it to the 2009 GA Rally behind my M109 (since sold).....it has not improved with age.

Since it has issues with the wiring and brakes I may take the axles out and put them under the trailer that the expando van body came off of.....I plan to make a lowboy trailer out if it and putting the bolster axles under it will reduce the deck highth by almost a foot.

Danger Ranger

Echo, I have a question on #5. What is that? I mean, its obviously custom, but what is the box, and do you know what running gear its on?

Also, on #2, do you know that running gear? Thanks in advance!

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Echo, I have a question on #5. What is that? I mean, its obviously custom, but what is the box, and do you know what running gear its on?

Also, on #2, do you know that running gear? Thanks in advance!
I'd guess the running gear under #2 was an M200 trailer.

Pic #5 was a communications shack off of Unimog and I believe it's on a M105 chassis.

If I'm wrong, hopefully I will be corrected.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
#5, if I remember is a MOG radio box, sorry, sloooooow typing

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen pictures from Vietnam showing M105s with dual wheels like in pic #3, but without the fenders like that one has. The duals were used to offer better weight distribution on the soft ground. Sometimes they were run with the single wheels, but dished out, to make the tires run in the same track as the tracks on the M113 when pulled around the rice paddies, to prevent setting off land mines. So I was told.

Rattlehead

Hiab crane dump trailer

Here is my frankensteined trailer. It was a M119 van trailer. Box was removed, a deuce bed was installed with a dump hinge. The Hiab is powered off of a chopped down riding lawn mower. The rear crossmember of a deuce, with pintle and electrical, was grafted into the back for towing a 2nd trailer.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
maddawg, i Like your pig cooker!!:beer:
Oh, those pics aren't mine - they were posted by another SS user here years back, I forget who.

rattlehead - that trailer is SWEET! Love the lawn tractor power source for the HIAB. Very improvised, but functional...

frodobaggins

Here are some pics.......I told you it was butt ugly.

That load of metal is the framing for my new shop..................not to be confused with my ex-wife's 24x72 riding lawn mower storage building.
Dang, if I had known you were going to do that to it I would have kept it to save it from disgrace :)

Nah, looks a little rough but **** useful.

Autocar

Apparently it is not a good idea to hang a scooter off the back of a trailer. Went for a 100 mile round trip this weekend and beat the holy crap out of the scooter. All (4) turn signals fell off, the handle bars got tweaked, and the spark plug wire pulled out of the boot for the spark plug. In 35 years of being around heavy equipment and race cars, I have never seen a crimped on sealed spark plug wire with a bonded on rubber boot pull out of the terminal from sheer shock and vibration. Looks like I need to move the scooter!

Attachments

Autocar

The trailer is an M871 22 1/2 ton with the ramp platform added on to the back. The scooter sits 5-6 feet back from the rear tandems. The tandem springs are really stiff and I think whenever the trailer hits a bump, it magnifies the jolt at the scooter-kind of like cracking a whip. I took it to the Tower Park meet and the roads have some really bone jarring bumps in them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks