• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Daily driven deuces???

kastein

Yep... long as it isn't too high octane it'll work :driver:found a plate on my engine (LDS-465 multifuel) that reads "fuel spec - all petroleum distillates up to a maximum octane rating of 85m-95r" though I may have swapped the m/r or 85/95. Basically anything up to gasoline, just toss a couple quarts of motor oil or other heavy oil into the tank if you're running on the real thin/high octane stuff to keep the injection pump lubed properly, and try to stay down toward the heavy to mid end of the spectrum when possible i.e. don't run gasoline at all times. Avgas is right out, too high octane.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Morning Kastein, the approved fuels plate in my truck states NO AVIATION GRADE GASOLINE! Can you please explain to me WHY? My point being that the higher the octane the less prone that fuel is to Pre-ignition, that is why its used in high compression race motors, I seriously think I am missing something here if you could explain this to me I would certainly appreciate it its just not making sense to me now?
Thanks
Karl

kastein

I'm not sure :confused: there's a big plate on my dash that says no avgas, so I don't use it. My gut feeling was that it probably would cause knock or preignition but that shows how little I know about stuff like this, the only thing I can think of is maybe it doesn't work well in compression engines (like the multifuel) because it is too high octane to "pre-ignite" i.e. won't diesel?

Someone who knows more really should answer this question, not me. So don't take this info as worth anything unless someone more intelligent verifies it :|

yetti96

Good Morning Kastein, the approved fuels plate in my truck states NO AVIATION GRADE GASOLINE! Can you please explain to me WHY? My point being that the higher the octane the less prone that fuel is to Pre-ignition, that is why its used in high compression race motors, I seriously think I am missing something here if you could explain this to me I would certainly appreciate it its just not making sense to me now?
Thanks
Karl

Av-gas is usually 100 LL (low lead). I think the thought with no av gas is not wanting lead in the fuel.

Brad4321

I drive mine everywhere except on long highway trips. I am waiting on new rubber for that.

To top it off, it still gets better fuel economy than my gas flatbed pickup.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks