• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dana 44 swap, M1010

BikerBi11

Actually I have a lot of faith in the 3/4 ton Dana 44. Just finished putting all new outboard bearings in it. Brakes are in a-1 condition. Bolted it up this afternoon. I took it around the block and it seems to be fine. Waiting on shocks and new sway bar end bushings. I will be testing this too see how it works out. If I have any problems at all with it I will let you all know.

Skinny

Remove a D60 for a POS 8 lug D44...that is just simple madness!

Why not find someone with a K30 looking to swap for deeper gears? Seems like a better idea than taking one of the best axles ever made and swapping it out for one of the biggest turds produced. Guys break D44's in Yotas and Jeeps running that tire size. Granted they are wheeling them but a bad idea nonetheless.

Cucvnut

Apparently the OP just wants to toot his own horn and really has all ready set his mind on doing it the wrong way, Yes we gave him advice but some times people just don't care. good luck on using a Dana 44 or 10 bolt or what ever you want to use. the 60 is the correct axle for your truck, you are making the cuicv worth less to a buyer when the time comes to sell it by using a inferior axle.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to try to do a candid observation of this swap. Firstly, as cucvnut pointed out, the Dana 60 is the correct axle for the truck, but we already know that. By the way, the correct tire is the 235/85R16. Some changes are OK with folks, some are not. I've ran 3/4 ton trucks nearly in the ground with work and over loading (10 bolts and D44s) and they have always done OK. Bigger tires, well, thats going to be a problem for the little axle. One way to insure that the 44 holds up is to never lock the hubs. Using this approach will make the 44 last a good long time. 4 WD is like insurance, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. With that said, even though you don't plan to off road it, if urgency or crisis ever forces you off road, the 44 may have a short life and leave you stuck or worse, stranded. Of all this, my biggest concern would be braking. Regardless of the condition of the brakes on the 44, it just doesn't have the same braking force as the Dana 60 does.

Summary, iif your just going down the road, the 44 probably won't give you any problems. If you should have to employ all wheel drive in a crisis, the front is the weak link. In the event some cuts you off and you end up in a crisis braking situation, the extra braking force could be the difference between cussing someone out for running in front of you or waffling the life out of them.

Your truck, your choice!

leeh725

Dana 44s

It sounds like this swap will be more of a temporary fix. Based on limited funds, I see no reason to fun from it. It's not like you're scrapping the original drive train. I've got a '76 K20 that has stayed overloaded for 30+ years. It has a Dana 44HD with external mount hubs. I believe that drive train will be sufficient for your trip.

I agree with the other guys that the 700 is a more appealing option. A long time ago, I was in your shoes with limited funding. So I could poor boy it, any way I saw fit. I think you'll survive the trip, easily. As weak as all of our 6.2s are, I do not see where you have the capacity to overload and break that front axle shafts. The front axle weight rating is in excess of 5000 lbs. The truck doesn't weigh a whole lot more that 7000 lbs.

There is also another valid point about what you'll gain. That's a lot of work to gain very little RPM reduction. With 37" tires, those 4.56 gears will feel right at home. With the 235 tires that came with it. 55 MPH was about top speed. With a tire that's 6 or 7 inches taller, 65 MPH should come easily.

Whatever you decide to do, keep that old drive train. That truck is always best in its original intended form. So I'm certain you'll want to go back with it.

Good luck on your project and your trip.

scottladdy

May I recommend you inquire of professional 4x4 shops. ORD is one that comes to mind. They will be in a solid position to speak to what works and what doesn't. What are the weaknesses of your proposed combination, etc.

You can also peruse their catalogs to see if they have any products that are intended to address any inherent weaknesses in the axle you want to use.

Now for my opinion: as long as you stay within the manufacturers design constraints for the axle, it can be made to work. There may be compromises that an engineer would not advocate based on design goals. For example, you may have to throw parts at the axle far more often because they are subjected to greater wear. The Dana 60 may have been chosen because it can reasonably be expected to go xxx miles under yyy load, which would meet the end customers expectations for longevity, dealerships need for service calls, and production costs to name a few.

nattieleather

The M886 and other Dodge 5/4 tons of the late 70s used a Dana 44F which according to my research is the Dana 44 carrier in a Dana 60 housing. From what I've read (and it was on the internet so it had to be true :lol:) the 44F is basically a beefed up version of the 44. If I had a CUCV I would first swap the transmission to a 700R4. Then if I still had the need for speed I'd look at changing the carrier to a lower gear ratio. That being said I'm putting a D44F and D60 with 4.10 gears from an M882 into a M37 with a 6.2 and a 700R4. So.... if you have it and you want to use it do it.

Skinny

The M886 and other Dodge 5/4 tons of the late 70s used a Dana 44F which according to my research is the Dana 44 carrier in a Dana 60 housing. From what I've read (and it was on the internet so it had to be true :lol:) the 44F is basically a beefed up version of the 44. If I had a CUCV I would first swap the transmission to a 700R4. Then if I still had the need for speed I'd look at changing the carrier to a lower gear ratio. That being said I'm putting a D44F and D60 with 4.10 gears from an M882 into a M37 with a 6.2 and a 700R4. So.... if you have it and you want to use it do it.
Not sure what the F means, could be front axle or Ford TTB designation.

I believe what you are describing as a D44 carrier in a D60 housing would be the D50 used on Ford Super Duties with single rear wheels for the first few years.

There is no such thing as a beefed up D44. Regardless of how many lug nuts it has, it still has a balljoints (unless it some closed knuckle drum brake axle), small ujoints, 8.5" ring gear, and spindly necked down axles. Don't waste the time, Dana 60 for the win:D

Skinny

Rear dana 60's are not as good as a 14ff
I think this has changed in the last few years. I think alot of guys on Pirate that do the one ton axle setup now use a D60 or D70 from an E350 van because it has more ground clearance, disc brakes, and accepts 35 spline axles without boring out the spindles.

Of course you can't buy one for $150 :-(

chevyCUCV

There is also another valid point about what you'll gain. That's a lot of work to gain very little RPM reduction. With 37" tires, those 4.56 gears will feel right at home. With the 235 tires that came with it. 55 MPH was about top speed. With a tire that's 6 or 7 inches taller, 65 MPH should come easily.
This statement, The change from 4.56 to 4.10 is not worth the work

d44 belong under jeeps and lighter vehicles

rickf

A Dana 44F is a Dana 44 carrier in a Dana 44 housing. It is a Dana 44 front, high pinion differential usually used in 78-79 Ford F250. Myself and many others have wheeled 44 fronts with 40 inch tires for years without destroying them. It is a matter of knowing how to drive. I have a 76 CJ-7 with a big block in it running a 44 rear and a 30 front. That's right a 30 in the front. All I have ever broken is a front axle. If you drive it like you stole it then you are going to break things, if you drive it like a sensible person it will last a long time. As I said before, I owned a 4X4 shop and I got to see all of the combinations and this was before the custom axles were available.

Rick

BikerBi11

Wow guys, I leave for 24 hours and the opinions and experence just keep coming!! I love it!!.Someone said to find someone else with a civi K30 that wants the lower gears and trade them. That is a great Idea... and I thought of that... and searched and searched in my neck of the woods... no dice. As stated before, This truck will not be seeing mud bogs, hill climbs, or sand dunes. It will be used on the highway. I respect all of your posts, and I don't consider any of them as "flaming" me. I also stated that everything will be able to be put back to stock configuration. I will not be doing any damage to the truck that cant be reversed. I have had the truck for almost two years now and have only put about 1500 miles on it. I have only engaged the transfer case once, and that was just to make sure it worked. If any of you have a set of axles you want to trade me for, step up. I am sure we can make a deal. That being said, I am sure that this is only a temporary thing. if and when I find better geared one ton stuff, for the rite price, I am thinking I will jump all over it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks