• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dana 44 swap, M1010

rlltide12

WARWAG, no such thing as a GM D44 1-Ton. All GM 1-Tons are D60. Really there is no such thing as a 1 Ton D44 period. Only D44 1-Ton application I have personally ever seen was a Dodge Pickup and it was a special order. For everyone else, there is a reason why these full-size trucks have a D60. To me this is not a matter of value of the truck, this is a matter of safety. I would never downgrade an axle from factory specs. Even if it "could" and "should" be fine. And I hope you have a good supply of wheel bearings and the expertise to change them, because they will constantly need adjusting and you will eat them like candy. My 37s on my D60 have caused me to have to adjust mine some and that was after only a month of liberal driving.

Edit: Since 1973 that is WARWAG.

Last edited:

WARWAG

From Wiki:

The Dana 44 Front axle first saw use in the 1950s and still in use today. Dana 44 Front axles were known for utilizing locking hubs or a center axle disconnect system. However, a permanently locked-in Dana 44 is not uncommon. The Dana 44 has seen use in 1/4-, 1/2-, 3/4-, and 1-ton rated trucks. The Dana 44 was manufactured in kingpin and ball joint variations, as well as closed and open knuckle variations.

So the fact that they were used in a 1 ton application from the factory seems to justify him using it if he wants. Again I would not as I have no issues with the 4.56 gearing. But its his truck and they were used in one ton applications as you your self stated.

Skinny

That seems like Wikipedia garbage. I believe 1 tons had mixed front axles up to the late 60's and very early 70's. They also had things like drum brakes and closed knuckle frontends which were not exactly great in the domestic versions (Nissan, Toyota, and Land Rover made better versions).

From that period on, every 1 ton rig had a Dana 60 in various configurations from a high pinion kingpin (Ford) to a ball jointed center disconnect unit bearing trash can (Dodge). Other variations include the Dana 50 seen on the 1st gen SuperDuty rigs which were a 60 housing with a quasi D44 center section (quite the hermaphrodite). Either way it still had a relatively heavy duty housing. In the last 40+ years, there has not been one D44 front axle used in a 1 ton rated truck period.

Will it work, yes. Does it stand a chance of popping a set of balljoints out on the highway, sure. Someone running a lifted modified properly truck stands as much chance in court as someone installing a front axle from a smaller GVW truck if they get in an accident.

Either way no one is telling you it is a crime or you can't do it. Many are telling you that it is not a good choice. Do what you will. The only thing we all have in common is trying to educate the OP on the PROs and CONs to do either, take it all with a grain of salt.

WARWAG

Thanks for that. I did see a Dana44 on a 79 K30 work truck with a corporate 14 bolt FF and an NP 205 behind an Muncie 456 4 speed trans. it all looked factory to me. It may still be at the junk yard. It also had what seemed like 3.73 gears maybe 4.10 but seemed like 3.73. If it is I will get some pics.

Last edited:

MatthewH

Interesting, I have an '85 Dodge factory 1 ton, 33k original miles, has a Dana 44 front axle. 4.10 gears.
Most dodges 1 tons of that era came with Dana 44 front axles, unless you spec one on the sheet, ordered a snow commander pkg, a dually, or later years a Cummins. Most crew cabs had Dana 60's, though some 70 era ones had the unitized Dana 44

Skinny

A rare find...or should I phrase it as a turd in the rough... :) I wonder if that was a low GVW truck with the inline 6 or 318 V8. That would be possible reasons they installed that axle in a W350 truck. When you step up to the Cummins engine, W250 and W350 rigs get the Dana 60 (which may be a 61 depending on gear ratio IIRC). Funky stuff happens.

Skinny

Wouldn't it have more to do with the GVW, GAWR, and combined vehicle weight if a trailer is added into the equation over the physical weight of the engine? I'm just thinking big picture here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks