• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

defense and safety while traveling

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not seen this kind of topic yet.

So, while traveling to many states, a person's right to have a firearm for protection against bandits could come up. Bandits? sure, at bad truck stops, or along the lonely road or the odd campground somewhere, etc.

It is pretty clear which states allow reciprocal concealed carry with a license. That solves a host of possible legal problems.

When 'camping' overnight in strange places, I prefer to keep a handgun nearby. It is not clear to me, for certain states like Illinois and Wisconsin which do not appear to have a carry permit, exactly what simple firearms a person can transport in their vehicle.
By transport, I mean, locked up in the back, etc., or otherwise not at hand while driving on the road.
By keeping nearby, I mean, keeping it with me when I am sleeping, or making it handy if I break down in a bad spot and thugs are abundant.

Can anyone comment from their knowledge of the laws, either for a handgun or a shotgun?

kcimb

If you are in Texas you are free to keep a handgun loaded in the car whether you have a CHL or not. If you have a Tx CHL, you can carry in a number of other states. Just be sure you know their laws on CHL.

dabtl

I keep a Rem 870 folding stock, 17 inch barrel in the hatch back. I have a Para Carry Six in the armrest.

In Texas long arms are not regulated unless full auto. Pistols may be carried in your car concealed.

Gotthefever

Up here in Wisconsin I'm pretty sure we can carry a hand gun in plain view but a fella up here tested the law and scared some people just by having it in plain view and the cops interviened. So I suppose we can openly carry but be prepared to get police involment instantly. Oh well.

EZFEED

Louisiana your vehicle is considered an extension of your home. You can keep fully loaded fireams longrifles/handguns in your vehicle concealed without any permit or fear of regulations.

I myself keep a .45acp CZ-97 or a 9mm largo Star Model B super under the front seat, .25acp revolver in the glove box.
There's a MAC-10 .45acp with silencer or UZI-B .45acp with silencer under the flip up rear seats in my F-150. Rigged up a nifty velcro harness fo that.
Rear window is a CAR-15 or semi auto PKM lmg.

Always have plenty in the truck and the law has never said a word the few instances I've been stopped. Only had to use a firearm in defense on two occaisions in my vehicle during my life so I think thats pretty good. The thing is to be smart and dont ask for it and dont put yourself in a situation that is dangerous.
Only reason I keep all of that in the truck is because I have a farm and am always popping nutria, etc along the bayous or canals around and on the way home. Serves to make a statement too.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v425/EZFEED/Videos/?action=view&current=EZFEED-1.flv

Dodgeman1941

Depending where my distination is and what states I will be in, I have my 1911 on my hip the whole time. Here in MI I'm good with my CPL, with resiprosity, I'm also good in IN, OH, PA and south. Turning west in my problem, in IL they feel that the life of the criminal is more important then mine. I figure for IL I'll just lock in in the back of the truck and not stop until MO using the peacable journey clause. The best situation is to look up if you can get a CPL in your state and know what states will accept it and avoid the rest.

As for the open carry thing, it is also legal in MI as long as you are not in your car, just remember the catch all for the cops is "Disturbing the Peace". If the peacefull sheeple are disturbed by your gun you can get arrested.

Michael

One interesting point we discussed a while back is that if you get stopped and your drivers license is run, the first thing they report back is that you have a concealed carry permit (assuming of course that you do have one). Something to think about if you are in a state that doesn't recognize your state's permit and worse yet if having it is a crime in the state you are in. Because they are going to ask you as soon as they get back to the car.

dm22630

Michael said:
One interesting point we discussed a while back is that if you get stopped and your drivers license is run, the first thing they report back is that you have a concealed carry permit (assuming of course that you do have one). Something to think about if you are in a state that doesn't recognize your state's permit and worse yet if having it is a crime in the state you are in. Because they are going to ask you as soon as they get back to the car.
I can verify this. Cops get REEEEEAL nervous when they find out you have a CWP.

I would avoid carrying across state lines into states that dont have reciprocity with your state. UNLESS you have it somewhere that is NOT accessible to the occupants of the vehicle. Under/behind the rear seat is not acceptable in most places.

However, UNLOADED and IN THE OPEN is widely accepted. And an unloaded gun LOOKS just as threatening to a criminal as the real thing.

2cents

Michael

Cops get REEEEEAL nervous when they find out you have a CWP.
Thats what I hear, but I don't understand why. It should be just the opposite. The crime rate of permit holders is way below the national average. In Mississippi your name and fingerprints are run through the FBI and local law enforcement, not only the first time but again at each 5 year renewal. What crook is going to volunteer for that. :)

Cops should assume every car has a loaded gun in it, but permit holders are much less likely to pull it on them.

EZFEED

Michael said:
Cops get REEEEEAL nervous when they find out you have a CWP.
Thats what I hear, but I don't understand why. It should be just the opposite. The crime rate of permit holders is way below the national average. In Mississippi your name and fingerprints are run through the FBI and local law enforcement, not only the first time but again at each 5 year renewal. What crook is going to volunteer for that. :)

Cops should assume every car has a loaded gun in it, but permit holders are much less likely to pull it on them.
There within lies the problem....... Makes you wonder how those LEO's are reasoning and how they view the citizens they are sworn to protect.....

dm22630

EZFEED said:
There within lies the problem....... Makes you wonder how those LEO's are reasoning and how they view the citizens they are sworn to protect.....

I dont think so. I think that self-preservation has a lot to do with it.

Remember LEOs watch the same episodes of COPs and Worlds most dangerous police chases. They dont want to be one of the LEO victims in those shows.

I dont blame them. A "normal" person in a highly stressful situation doesnt act the same way as they do the other 99% of the time.

2cents

Elwenil

In Virginia we can carry in the open and when I first bought my S&W .357 Mag, I asked a State Police Trooper what to do when stopped. He told me to place it on the dash, in plain view of the officer before he walks up, and to put my hands on the steering wheel at 9 & 3, and immediately inform the officer that I did have a handgun and that it was on the dash in plain view and follow his instructions. I've done this ever since and had officers tell me ok, and not to go near it during the stop and I've had some ask me to step out and continue the stop at the rear of the vehicle. I've never really had any problems about it and the police seem a bit reassured that I am up front with them about a handgun in my possession during the stop. I've had some lecture me on my lack of need for a firearm and some want to shoot the bull about my choice of weapon and how it shoots. So I've found it's best to be up front with the police about it and it seems to put them more at ease.

EZFEED

dm22630 said:
EZFEED said:

I dont think so. I think that self-preservation has a lot to do with it.

Remember LEOs watch the same episodes of COPs and Worlds most dangerous police chases. They dont want to be one of the LEO victims in those shows.

I dont blame them. A "normal" person in a highly stressful situation doesnt act the same way as they do the other 99% of the time.

2cents
You know you're right and I didnt think about that and I apologize to any LEO's here for that. I myself have never had any problems but man....seems like every time I turn around or read a topic like this one I always hear someone chime in with a police horror story. I know that probably 9 out of 10 it's their own fault for copping an attitude or something but then I don’t know about some. Some seem too real to have been twisted and manipulated. :?

tmbrwolf

In Kansas it isn't required to tell an LEO if you have a CCL and are carrying unless he asks, some states you have to let the LEO know when your stopped, better to let them know upfront, most aren't worried about a licensed CCL holder. It's the criminals illegally carrying that get ya killed! Check the reciprocity of the state you're traveling in with your permit, if there isn't reciprocity don't carry concealed. if there isn't reciprocity check the laws on open carry in the state your going to. For Kansas you can check the AG's web site at www.ksag.org for the concealed carry info. In Kansas you can carry openly unless probhibited by ordinance, to my knowledge (disclaimer: I'm no expert here) there are only two cities that currently prohibit open carry, Topeka and Wichita.

kcimb

Bob H said:
My recent trailer recovery from Il.
I left my pistol at home, wasn't happy about going by the Chicago area that way but the law is the law.

You could have brought it with you, Chicago BS laws or not. FOPA=protection for traveling gun owners.

ragedracer

Re: RE: defense and safety while traveling

dabtl said:
I keep a Rem 870 folding stock, 17 inch barrel in the hatch back. I have a Para Carry Six in the armrest.

In Texas long arms are not regulated unless full auto. Pistols may be carried in your car concealed.
If you really have a 17" barrel on your 870, and you don't have an SBS tax stamp, the Feds would be happy to throw you in PMITA Prison for the next 10 years. I'm also 100% sure that Texas would require you to register with the NFA and SBR, SBS, or AOW.

I sincerely hope you know what you're doing.

rr

Dodgeman1941

KC,

I hate to say he would be SOL by going to Chicago. Because his destination is Chicago, he would not be able to use your defence. You can only use it if you are passing though, from St Louis to Indy, for example. People have been busted on the east coast because they traveled to NY to get on an airplane to fly to a gun legal state. They were busted because NY was a destination, even though it wasn't the final destination.

kcimb

Dodgeman1941 said:
KC,

I hate to say he would be SOL by going to Chicago. Because his destination is Chicago, he would not be able to use your defence. You can only use it if you are passing though, from St Louis to Indy, for example. People have been busted on the east coast because they traveled to NY to get on an airplane to fly to a gun legal state. They were busted because NY was a destination, even though it wasn't the final destination.
Oh..I must have missed that. Then it sounds like he would need something armored to avoid carjackings and gunfire in Shatcago since self defense is clearly illegal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks