• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

defense and safety while traveling

randyscycle

dm22630 said:
I dont blame them. A "normal" person in a highly stressful situation doesnt act the same way as they do the other 99% of the time.
I'd hardly consider a traffic stop a highly stressful situation.....If a cop is that edgy toward you, I think I'd be a little less than cooperative about dealing with him, particularly so if it was over a speeding ticket, or routine traffic stop. If you just offed the clerk at the local Sack 'O Suds, then you probably have more to worry about than the reciprocity agreement anyway.

That is why I never obtained a CCL. I always figured it to be a registration of sorts, and to me it only raised a red flag and gave a cop a chance to check you out more thoroughly. That smacks of "guilty before proven innocent" to me.

ragedracer

Dodgeman1941 said:
KC,

I hate to say he would be SOL by going to Chicago. Because his destination is Chicago, he would not be able to use your defence. You can only use it if you are passing though, from St Louis to Indy, for example. People have been busted on the east coast because they traveled to NY to get on an airplane to fly to a gun legal state. They were busted because NY was a destination, even though it wasn't the final destination.
From what I understand, they did avoid conviction, but it's awful hard to avoid the free ride downtown... =(

dm22630

randyscycle said:
I'd hardly consider a traffic stop a highly stressful situation.....If a cop is that edgy toward you, I think I'd be a little less than cooperative about dealing with him, particularly so if it was over a speeding ticket, or routine traffic stop. If you just offed the clerk at the local Sack 'O Suds, then you probably have more to worry about than the reciprocity agreement anyway.

That is why I never obtained a CCL. I always figured it to be a registration of sorts, and to me it only raised a red flag and gave a cop a chance to check you out more thoroughly. That smacks of "guilty before proven innocent" to me.
9 times out of 10 they arent "highly stressful".

But WHAT IF....

You were going 45 in a 25 & already had points on your license. That ONE ticket could cost you your job, house, car, wife, etc.

or...

You just left Outback Steakhouse & had 3-4 beers. Now you have a DUI on your mind.

or...

You just found out your wife was cheating on you & you dont really care about life at that moment.

The point I am trying to make is....SAFETY FIRST! LEOs are always going to have THEIR safety on their minds & they DO NOT know what your particular situation is. Maybe your brake light is out and they want to tell you.....or.....maybe you are going to kill yourself.

Saying everyone with a CWP is mentally stable is about as true as saying everyone with a drivers license drives safely. I would say the vast majority of CWP holders are law abiding citizens. But if YOU were in the LEOs position, what would you do?

2cents

kcimb

ragedracer said:
Dodgeman1941 said:
KC,

I hate to say he would be SOL by going to Chicago. Because his destination is Chicago, he would not be able to use your defence. You can only use it if you are passing though, from St Louis to Indy, for example. People have been busted on the east coast because they traveled to NY to get on an airplane to fly to a gun legal state. They were busted because NY was a destination, even though it wasn't the final destination.
From what I understand, they did avoid conviction, but it's awful hard to avoid the free ride downtown... =(
After Keller v. DC I would expect more cities to start sweating it when it comes to gun control.

Good, you little reds.

Hey, is it acceptable to post Gun pics in this thread? I have a few 'traveling companions' that could be shown here.

kcimb

What the heck.

I carried a Glock 17 while working landscaping in a bladetech revolution holster. It went outside in the dirt and dust. On days when I was in the area of the gun range I'd pack the AKM, 10 loaded mags, and some extra boxes of ammo, and stuff it behind the seat of the e350 box truck. What the boss doesn't know ain't going to hurt him. (He knew about the glock ,but not the AKM).

I'm in the process of building myself a clone of what I'm issued by the gov't. A nice, LMT (Gov't contractor too) M4 rifle with an Eotech, Sopmod stock, grip pod...

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
dm22630 said:
I can verify this. Cops get REEEEEAL nervous when they find out you have a CWP.
I've found just the opposite to be true. Every Officer that has stopped me has been real cool about it. I've never been asked where the gun was or anything.

We own some vacant property right in the middle of town. There were some wild dogs hangging around so I called the cops about what to do about them. He told me to get my gun out of my truck and shoot them! I did (right in the middle of town with my pistol in my hand shooting at dogs).

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was planning to stop in Chicago.. of all places where you need a gun most and yet the gun is the most illegal thing you can have!

EZFEED

OPCOM said:
I was planning to stop in Chicago.. of all places where you need a gun most and yet the gun is the most illegal thing you can have!
Yikes OPCOM! Good luck there with that! :shock: I heard that the windy city is still a pretty rough lil' town.....handguns wont cut it, you need to be packing something along my style! LOL! :lol:

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Maryland and DC are two of the most communist areas I have ever lived. I have had carry permits in MA, PA and Texas and moved to Maryland and am still facing issues from having two pistols in the very back of my Suburban. Just pray for me is all I can say about that one but it sure reminded me of a Nazi storm trooper party.

Dodgeman1941

I know how much it sucks to go to Chicago unarmed, I went to South Elgin to pick up my son's M1009. I hated the fact the the 1911 was back home.

As for the free ride down town, It actually cost thousands in lawyers fees for those people to get it all straightned out. Plus the one horror story I heard about it was the guy had his youngster with him and he sat at the police station while his dad was in lock up for the weekend until the court opened on Monday.

kcimb

EZFEED said:
OPCOM said:
Yikes OPCOM! Good luck there with that! :shock: I heard that the windy city is still a pretty rough lil' town.....handguns wont cut it, you need to be packing something along my style! LOL! :lol:

That is hot!

randyscycle

dm22630 said:
9 times out of 10 they arent "highly stressful".

But WHAT IF....

You were going 45 in a 25 & already had points on your license. That ONE ticket could cost you your job, house, car, wife, etc.

or...

You just left Outback Steakhouse & had 3-4 beers. Now you have a DUI on your mind.

or...

You just found out your wife was cheating on you & you dont really care about life at that moment.

The point I am trying to make is....SAFETY FIRST! LEOs are always going to have THEIR safety on their minds & they DO NOT know what your particular situation is. Maybe your brake light is out and they want to tell you.....or.....maybe you are going to kill yourself.

Saying everyone with a CWP is mentally stable is about as true as saying everyone with a drivers license drives safely. I would say the vast majority of CWP holders are law abiding citizens. But if YOU were in the LEOs position, what would you do?

2cents
I agree safety first is the best policy, but that being said, I also have observed that there are two types of cops. The ones who just do their job, and the ones who like their job just a little too much.

If I just happen to be doing 30 in a 25, and I have no priors (which I don't) my vehicle is legal, and in good mechanical state, and I am doing nothing else other than that speed violation, then the officer decides since I have a CCL, to "check me out" in my opinion, he has no right. Even more so if I am polite and courteous with him. Even more so if its 2PM on a clear sunny day and he can see the inside of my vehicle clearly.

It has also been my experience that very, very infrequently does an officer stop you only to issue a warning. Chances are if he has to get out of his car, you're going to be leaving at the least with some form of a summons.

I also need to mention that I have no axe to grind with any cops, just that as a person who has had no more than a speeding ticket ever, the last one being in 1990, I feel a bit violated when I am asked to consent to a search, and I will say no, exercising my rights. I will also take the chance carrying my weapon anwhere inthis country without a CCL.

Michael

I will have to protest this statement. To get a drivers license you just have to pass a written and practical test once, usually when you turn of age. There is no background check. To get a CWP your have to get fingerprinted, a back ground check, and it is repeated every five years when it is renewed. A history of mental health problems is part of the background check. Statistically a LEO is much less likely to be shot by a CWP holder than the average citizen.

* 221,443 concealed carry licenses were issued in Florida between October of 1987 and April of 1994. During that time, Florida recorded 18 crimes committed by licensees with firearms. (15)

* As of 1998, nationwide, there has been 1 recorded incident in which a permit holder shot someone following a traffic accident. The permit holder was not charged, as the grand jury ruled the shooting was in self defense. (7)

* As of 1998, no permit holder has ever shot a police officer. There have been several cases in which a permit holder has protected an officer's life. (7)

Boatcarpenter

Slightly off subject, but personally I would NEVER post in a public Forum what, if any, firearms I owned, post pictures of them, where I keep them, if I carried them in a vehicle and what that vehicle was, where I work etc. I would believe that there are cyber-sleuths out there that could locate you very easily and target you for theft when you least expect it or are away from where your firearms are stored. 2cents
BC

Archael

Louisiana your vehicle is considered an extension of your home. You can keep fully loaded fireams longrifles/handguns in your vehicle concealed without any permit or fear of regulations.

I myself keep a .45acp CZ-97 or a 9mm largo Star Model B super under the front seat, .25acp revolver in the glove box.
There's a MAC-10 .45acp with silencer or UZI-B .45acp with silencer under the flip up rear seats in my F-150. Rigged up a nifty velcro harness fo that.
Rear window is a CAR-15 or semi auto PKM lmg.

Always have plenty in the truck and the law has never said a word the few instances I've been stopped. Only had to use a firearm in defense on two occaisions in my vehicle during my life so I think thats pretty good. The thing is to be smart and dont ask for it and dont put yourself in a situation that is dangerous.
Only reason I keep all of that in the truck is because I have a farm and am always popping nutria, etc along the bayous or canals around and on the way home. Serves to make a statement too.
[media]http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v425/EZFEED/Videos/?action=view&current=EZFEED-1.flv[/media]

Damn you! My first *working* gun was a CZ-97B. It was such a sexy piece of steel. My buddy liked it almost as much as me so when he turned 21 (legal age to own a hand gun here in MO) i sold it to him cheap <d'oh!>

*my FIRST gun was a piece of crap Professional Ordinance Carbon 15. Great Concept and a hell of a fun gun to shoot but i got an older model that didn't have very quality parts nor were it's parts interchangeable with other AR bits.

Ok memory lane off please resume thread, already in session.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It should be noted that having reciprocity with another state also means knowing the laws of the other states. You can't carry anywhere you want within a state. In some states business and landowners can post their property off limits to any and all firearms with exception to law enforcement officers. CCP,CCL, etc are not valid on their land.

A pic taken while on a trip.

Attachments

randyscycle

Not to mention the many restaurants, businesses, courthouses, public buildings, etc.

I think CCL's are pretty much a feel good idea. I'd rather take the chance. At least if I get caught for posessing a handgun, I'm still not dead from being shot by a criminal who illegally purchased his, then used it on me during a crime when I was defenseless because I obeyed a law.

kcimb

Not to mention the many restaurants, businesses, courthouses, public buildings, etc.

I think CCL's are pretty much a feel good idea. I'd rather take the chance. At least if I get caught for posessing a handgun, I'm still not dead from being shot by a criminal who illegally purchased his, then used it on me during a crime when I was defenseless because I obeyed a law.

It's not a feel good idea by any means-it flat out works. Banning normal people-READ: law abiding citizens, does nothing to prevent crime. You just took away the claws from the sheep dog and gave the wolf free reign.

offroaddiesel

Slightly off subject, but personally I would NEVER post in a public Forum what, if any, firearms I owned, post pictures of them, where I keep them, if I carried them in a vehicle and what that vehicle was, where I work etc. I would believe that there are cyber-sleuths out there that could locate you very easily and target you for theft when you least expect it or are away from where your firearms are stored. 2cents
BC
good advice,steve

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks