• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

defense and safety while traveling

rmgill

I'd hardly consider a traffic stop a highly stressful situation.....If a cop is that edgy toward you, I think I'd be a little less than cooperative about dealing with him, particularly so if it was over a speeding ticket, or routine traffic stop. If you just offed the clerk at the local Sack 'O Suds, then you probably have more to worry about than the reciprocity agreement anyway.

That is why I never obtained a CCL. I always figured it to be a registration of sorts, and to me it only raised a red flag and gave a cop a chance to check you out more thoroughly. That smacks of "guilty before proven innocent" to me.
One would normally think this. However, mind you, in Georgia, where you can carry a firearm anywhere in your car, legally and lawufully, we still get situations like this:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S1rMA-K5WU&feature=channel_page[/media]

SasquatchSanta

Where I live I don't worry about threats from two legged critters as much as I do four legged ones.

During certain times of the year I spend time in the woods, sometimes at night. I don't like bears and wolves and I definately don't like cougars. Thankfully, I've never had to liquidate any of these critters but I've had to fire discouraging shots.

My Minnesota right to carry permit allows me to carry my 454 Casull "loaded" while on a 4 wheeler or snowmobile. I'm now afraid that idiot Al Franken is going to put an end to our right to carry "rights."

On another, seperate note --- I think if you're going to carry, especially in an urban area, you should carry concealed. Why tip anyone off and also, why accidently tempt some idiot (drunk) that might not like the sight of you carrying to cop an attitude.

rmgill

It should be noted that having reciprocity with another state also means knowing the laws of the other states. You can't carry anywhere you want within a state. In some states business and landowners can post their property off limits to any and all firearms with exception to law enforcement officers. CCP,CCL, etc are not valid on their land.

A pic taken while on a trip.
In some states, those signs carry force of law. In others it's just their policy. They have to KNOW you're carrying and ask you to leave. The sign has no legal authority over you.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In some states, those signs carry force of law. In others it's just their policy. They have to KNOW you're carrying and ask you to leave. The sign has no legal authority over you.

I edited some of the revised codes above those two as they were common elements. That sign is LAW. The state statute is listed on it. This landowner has done all he is required to by law to inform people that carrying is not permitted on his property. Your CCL has no validity on his property.

rmgill

I edited some of the revised codes above those two as they were common elements. That sign is LAW. The state statute is listed on it. This landowner has done all he is required to by law to inform people that carrying is not permitted on his property. Your CCL has no validity on his property.
For YOUR state that may be LAW but, for MY state it is not. We have 50 remember. :wink:

In MY state, a sign with a "no guns" on the door isn't binding. If they see you and ask you to leave, that IS binding. Not doing so is criminal tresspass.
Each has their own laws on a multitude of things. In MY state you must have a GFL to carry openly OR concealed. In other states you can carry openly with out a license.

Savy?

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For YOUR state that may be LAW but, for MY state it is not. We have 50 remember. :wink:

In MY state, a sign with a "no guns" on the door isn't binding. If they see you and ask you to leave, that IS binding. Not doing so is criminal tresspass.
Each has their own laws on a multitude of things. In MY state you must have a GFL to carry openly OR concealed. In other states you can carry openly with out a license.

Savy?
If you read my original post it made reference to "some states", not all.

Your are duly informed my land is posted. You can't carry on my land whether I know you are armed or not by law. If it turns out you are, you will be prosecuted.

Savvy has 2 v's

Last edited:

madsam

This is my 2cents..

If I need a gun to protect myself from being killed, I will ask for forgiveness later. As a friend of mine said, "I would rather be jugged by 12 than carried by 6".

I think in CO that as long as it is in plane view, like a gun rack, or locked in a glove compartment, not accessible to road rage with, you are ok. We can carry a gun in plane view except in a government building or a bar. From what understand that includes a bank, although I don't know that I would try it. :roll:

rmgill

If you read my original post it made reference to "some states", not all.
So why the heck are you arguing with me? :roll:

Your are duly informed my land is posted. You can't carry on my land whether I know you are armed or not by law. If it turns out you are, you will be prosecuted.
Why would I want to go there if I'm not welcome? :| And more expansively, why the heck would I want to go to a state like Connecticut when it doesn't honor out of State CCW permits in any form?

Savvy has 2 v's
Good for you, you win a cookie. :roll:

Last edited:

Rolling_Eudaimonia

I love shooting but I only shoot targets. I want to build a .338-416Riby Improved with a 46inch barrel on a custom action with 12inch barrel clamp. I figure the combination with 300 Sierra MK is good for 3300-3500fps roughly and about 2200m max range. I figure the gun, should be great for long range targets but nothing else. However, since all I enjoy is pure target shooting I figure it is good for me.

rmgill

To answer you misstated question more seriously, why do we need a gun all the time? It's not all the time. One only needs them very rarely. BUT, just like a fire extinguisher, one doesn't have the luxury of picking and choosing WHEN you're going to need it.

One only has to look to see examples of homicides, violent crime and other mayhem in one's life and surroundings in order to realize that violent crime is ever present in a somewhat randomly distributed way. Somewhat, not entirely. There are certain parts of town or even in the US where you're going to find more crime. But at the same token, there are places where you don't expect violent crime and yet it pops up there. I can't perform a PM check on my truck to avoid violent crime like I CAN to prevent having a fire on my truck or in my car.

Just this morning, there was a homicide of a restaurant in the areas that I like to go eat at. Its a decent area, nice places to eat, but still proximate to more shady areas. That same area which is well gentrified in most cases has had a spate of homicides rapes and robberies (robbery is the primary crime in most of these cases) that are VERY high profile but the police are getting nowhere.

Remember, the police are under no requirement to defend you, or protect you, even if you call 911, they're not beholden to coming and rescuing you. You are, for all practical purposes, responsible for your own safety. There are people who are prepared and there are people who are not. I fall into the category of the former. Where do you fall?

madsam

rmgill - I agree. Here in Colorado, in places like Bailey , Colorado where it should be safe and away from a big city, a freek came into a hight school, raped and killed. Now that was random.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platte_Canyon_High_School_shooting

I am of the opinion that all citizens in good standing should carry guns. I think there would be less shootings because someone is bound to shoot back. I found this on wikipedia which points out the worst cities for road rage, and none are in Texas where they have the least restrictive gun laws.

"A 2007 study of the largest U.S. metropolitan areas concluded that the cities with the least courteous drivers (most road rage) are Miami, Phoenix, New York, Los Angeles, and Boston. The cities with the most courteous drivers (least road rage) are Minneapolis, Nashville, St. Louis, Seattle, and Atlanta"

P.S. That does not mean Texans drive better. :wink:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've lost two friends to gun fire. The first died by being mugged in Houston. He was shot once, at close range with a .22 and it severed his aorta. He died where he stood. Almost immediately from the shock to his system.

I lost another friend in Kileen, Texas. She and her friend had stopped for lunch, and for some unknown reason, she left her handgun in her truck (this was prior to Texas issuing CCL). That was a fatal mistake.

A picture is worth a zillion words, so here ya go. The video is horrible, but this ladies words calls it like it is. Watch it all the way to the end. She explains the 2nd Amendment REALLY CLEARLY to a bunch of idiot Senators (yes, Chuck Shumer is among them).

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvV3gr_vinE[/media]

One final thought. When a cop calls you a 'citizen' it is a form of him denigrating you. Because there are two classes of people in LEO's jargon. THEM and 'citizens'. That brings my blood to a boil, having them think they are better than anyone else. Politicians do this as well.

madsam

That is grate. "It is about all of our rights to protect ourselves from all of you"...

I do not understand why people think that a law about guns will stop a lawbreaker from using a gun to brake other laws. ??? The only people that pay attention to laws are lawful people. The end result was that the lawful people will give up their guns as the law states, and the unlawful people will keep their guns. By definition, that is logically what will happen.

Anyway, I still say I would rather be alive in jail rather than dead.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally, I carry a over under .38 Derringer. Not big, not fancy and not for intimidation. If it has to come out, it has to be used. I don't flash my weapons, I HOPE I never have to use it. If, however, my life or the life of my family is threatened, I will do everything in my power to protect them. Notice I didn't say property. If some idiot wants my truck, they can have it. If in the process of taking my property, I feel my life or the life of a loved one is threatened, then I will defend myself or them. Property can be replaced.

That being said, I feel, as was posted above that denying a person the right to carry a weapon is beyond reckless. I know it's cliched and a bumper sticker, but "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!"

The few times I have had interactions with LEO's, I inform them of my pistol, where it is and any other information they need. I stay calm and cooperate within reason. The side of the road is not the place to disagree with the officer. My opion is on the side of the road, he is right. If I disagree with their decision, I will have an opportunity to present my side to a judge.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks