• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Cargo or Van?

Armada

Just curious, looking for feedback/opinions.
Which is more desireable by the general public purchasing a Duece?
An M35A2 (cargo/troop carrier box), or an M109 (enclosed van box).
The latest GL auction in my area showed that the M109's were commanding a higher price than the M35's.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I would rather have a cargo truck.

Lot more flexibility as a cargo hauler and allows me to haul dirt (and do the dumping bed conversion).

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm with everybody else. Another consideration is fuel economy. The shop van gets bad mileage all the time.

Pappa-G

With a M109 You have a warm dry spot to rest while waiting for repair parts to arrive. [thumbzup] And if your sold on that, :twisted: have I got a beauty for you!!

Desert Rat

I converted my 35 to a 109 and love it. I'm getting another 35 for local yard work. The 109 is definitely a serious road truck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've done a little camping out of the back of the old M35A2. It's not always warm and sometimes a little condensation forms and drips on ya but camping in the back is cool. 2 folks on cots fit very nice. Just gotta watch that first step in the middle of the night when mother nature calls.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Desert Rat said:
Yeah, but can you hook up the A/C like a van? A/C is real comfy in steamy environments..........
With a little engenuity you can........ :)

mangus580

I could see a very easy way to do that with 4 trailer jacks from like harbor freight.... extend them, making the legs long enough, and pin some braces on them for stability..... would work pretty nice!! now... where to find me a shelter hmmmm

Desert Rat

I have the S-260 with the dolly set to follow the 109. Now I have a bunk area and a full galley in the shelter. Clinto, awesome conversion!!!

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Clinto, awesome conversion!!!
It isn't mine, I saw the pic on Joe Trapp's website. Go to the NC MVPA website, go to member sites and then click on his name.

I don't have a deuce yet...... :oops: :cry:

gbooth

Well I have a Shop Van I cant tell you how good or bad it is as the truck is not running YET. I am getting real close Couple months. I don't know I might trade the van body for a good complete cargo bed in the future.

lacoda56

So why not have one of each? Saves a lot of time changing beds or shelters or whatever. I consider my trucks a collection, sorta like stamp collecting only bigger. Yeah, I know I'm nuts.

gbooth

I have almost run out of room I can park everything inside and out of the weather. If I cant park it inside I don't know if I want it. Unless I can get the wife's dad to move his RV.

Pappa-G

Could you put a van body on a trailer (1.5 ton wo/box) and run a cargo box on the truck? I believe it would have to be lengthened by 3' or so. Just a thought.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or try the M448 trailer. I've got an S-318 shelter on an M103A3 that works good for one or two folks. It's got a/c and is very dry inside. I can run the a/c off of my 1000 watt 2 stroke genset thats nearly as quiet as a Honda.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks