• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Cargo or Van?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1 1/2 ton trailer bed length is 9'. I imagine one could stretch it out in a few areas. Remember the M109 van body is probably near 4000#. Attached is a pic of Joe Shannon's M109 trailer towed behind his M35A2. Ask questions if interested in how he did it.

Attachments

Armada

That's it exactly! Pappa-G and I have a beautiful 109 box complete with heater and electrical controls from a truck I parted out that we were toying with the idea of putting it on a trailer, making it a "camper". Hence the best of both worlds. Is a tandom axle trailer available from the military? An M105 trailer would not be beefy enough I wouldn't think. Any info would be appreciated!

mangus580

With as cheap as 105's are, why not get two, make a tandem axle trailer? for that matter.... put duals on each axle :-D that would be ultimate!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is actually the M109 box mounted on the back half of an M211 chassis. Joe fabricated a tongue assy using channel and added the lunette. There are plenty of M35s floating around without front axles so getting a back half should be easy. You could strip off all the extra junk from the drive axles (shafts, diffs etc) or leave them there as spares. A master cylinder and air chamber or even a relay valve assy and you've got brakes. If you use the M35 frame there are all kind of neat possibilitys including the spare tire mount. The suspension is already set up for articulation which would be the most time consuming mods to make the M105 chassis a tandem. A nice M105 landing gear on the nose and you're set. Not the most difficult job in the world. BTW, leave that tongue long and mount your MEP-016C genset there for power. Might even be able to leave the fuel tank for genset fuel or spare fuel.

mangus580

Kenny, now that you have gone that far.... you are a few driveshafts away from making the trailer DRIVE!!! :-D Now that would be really awesome!

rmgill

Armada said:
That's it exactly! Pappa-G and I have a beautiful 109 box complete with heater and electrical controls from a truck I parted out that we were toying with the idea of putting it on a trailer, making it a "camper". Hence the best of both worlds. Is a tandom axle trailer available from the military? An M105 trailer would not be beefy enough I wouldn't think. Any info would be appreciated!
Put it on a Bolster Trailer. It's a little lower, but the tongue can be extended to accommodate the extra length. Or if you want to gang trailers, use two generator trailer chassis.

rmgill

Recovry4x4 said:
Yeah, the M796 bolster would work nicely.
Lower to the ground too, so when you stumble out of the "camper" at 4am to go take a late night wizz, you have less distance to fall when you trip going down the stairs. :wink:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Speaking of the late night whizz, I've been known to zip tie a deep funnel just under waist height somewhere so that I don't have to stumble too far. Even had one epoxied in a hole in the wall of a metal building up north to prevent getting a head cold going outside to relieve onself.

FSBruva

Would the plow of the trailer's linked diffs. counteract the plow of the deuce? Or would it magnify? My spacial reasoning is not real good right now....

Matt

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Armada, I finally emailed Joe Shannon. When (if) he sends more pics of the conversion, I'll post them.
Kenny

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks