• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce gun rack in cab

MrAugust

yeh same as mine but theres leather bound like u clips behind seat, so im not sure wot these are look like a old style gun clip... il get a pic later and put it on so you can see....

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
when i was in nam, most drivers that i drove with had a pistol down between the drivers door and seat so he could grab it and shoot out the window and still drive (he had extra clips stashed with in reach so he could reload on the fly), his rifle was in the left rear corner of the cab so he could grab it if he had to bail, the shotgun had his weapon eather in his lap pointing right resting in his right arm or butt on the floor with it resting against his right knee, if there was a middle rider, his weapon was butt on the floor and resting against his right knee , the ONLY thing that the gun mounts were used for , was to hang bandoliers of ammo from .
if i drove along, i had weapons layed out on the right seat pointing right with a sandbag under the barrels, both to help get it out the window quicker with just my right hand and to keep them from falling off the seat, ammo was in a low sided box next to my right side

MrAugust

73m819 said:
when i was in nam, most drivers that i drove with had a pistol down between the drivers door and seat so he could grab it and shoot out the window and still drive (he had extra clips stashed with in reach so he could reload on the fly), his rifle was in the left rear corner of the cab so he could grab it if he had to bail, the shotgun had his weapon eather in his lap pointing right resting in his right arm or butt on the floor with it resting against his right knee, if there was a middle rider, his weapon was butt on the floor and resting against his right knee , the ONLY thing that the gun mounts were used for , was to hang bandoliers of ammo from .
now im getting some ware, on my duce i have a pastol holder n 45 on left side ready to grab... or set the senaro. thanks any more info is good for im in to the nam thing.....
some vetrans say they wore sholder holsters for the 45s or what ever they used..

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
ya some wore holsters, but i didnt like them , my pistol was eather next to the drivers door or on the right seatl

that holder looks like it mite hold a m79 granade launcher

cbvet

On my second trip to VietNam we were stuck with early M16s. We wrapped them in plastic to keep them clean & threw them in behind the seats.
Some of us bought good old dependable M1 Carbines from the South VietNamese , & tied them in the rear corners of the cab with some soft wire that would come apart easily.

Eric
CBVET

deuceman51

The double mount between the gauge and glovebox is the standard that I have seen in the NG. Anytime I see an old deuce with rifle mount it is mounted there. I know they could go almost anywhere, but for the M16/M14 rack that is about the best place next to behind the seats in the corner of the cab.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The NOS sets I have are all dated 83-84. I would guess they were not much older than that. They really do work good in that position.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fair Value$

I'm curious about the "Fair Market Value" of both the Single and Double Weapon Holder (Dash-Mounted Style).

A local fellow claims to have one that he's "willing to let me have for a fair price", but neither of us has a dollar-figure in mind.

Any ideas?

I know that it's always "what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller". But fair is fair.

My first thought would be $10-$20 depending on single or double and its condition.......

Thoughts?????

Thanks.
John

saddamsnightmare

April 30th, 2012.

I'd still courtmartial the guy that mounted the racks in the corner of the cab with the muzzle down...It's just not SOP!:gimp2: The mounts to the right of the instrument panel are as specified by Uncle Sam!(At least for the M35A2)!

Oops! That New York Pizza must have made me cranky! I would say that the SOP after the mid to late 1970's for the M35A2 is muzzle up to right of the instrument panel. If you point the muzzle down the possibility of critical damage to truck or crew is greater in the advent of a misfire! I'd rather have the round going up through thin sheet metal or canvas then down by any major electrical or mechanical components. Besides, an M16 is just a zipped up .22, yes they can do damage at short range, but I'd rather carry an SKS,AK or better yet, an M-1 Garand, then you are going to kick butt! IMHO!

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My one truck with mounts is a 72 WO/W. It has a mount to the right of the glove box and one to the left rear of the drivers seat. I don't like the drivers seat location, couldn't get to it in time to tag the deer or elk. Both my other trucks do not have mounts and by the looks of them, they never did (no drill holes) My M1009 has the double directly behind the drivers seat...I think that was pretty much standard. Anyone seen them elsewhere on the M1009?
Since I replaced the bench seat on my AF truck with a single seat, I'm moving the mounts. Exact location in work. Got to fit it around the VIC 1. No pics yet, project still in progress.

As to the cost for a single..$20 used. 35-40 for NIB hardware included. Make sure if NIB hardware is there. I got some stuff that had a packing label "NIB" and all the bolts washers, etc. were mssing. Not worth the hassle of return, have PLENTY hardware to replace. A double...not sure. Don't see too many of those. Pretty much whatever the buyer is willing to pay.