• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce gun rack in cab

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now in a helicopter, specifically the CH-53 and CH-46, you better put that muzzle on the floor. Crew Chief sees you pointing it anywhere else a large can of whoop *** is going to open up and much pain will be delivered. Once had my Crew Chief (I was a First Mech) beat the crap out of a Major with a M-60. Shocked the living **** out of me. Never saw an Sgt beat up an officer. He was in the right tho. Officer was endangering the crew and passengers by pointing the weapon at the ceiling and pulling the trigger. NO ONE ever ****s with a Crew Chief on board his own helicopter while in mission status. All the grunts on board had their mouths hanging open and eyes were bugging out. When we landed (we took off from a carrier USS Siapan, I think) it was the fastest off load in an LZ I ever saw. Major was GONE before the ramp was fully down. Best smack down I ever saw:)

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm curious about the "Fair Market Value" of both the Single and Double Weapon Holder (Dash-Mounted Style).

A local fellow claims to have one that he's "willing to let me have for a fair price", but neither of us has a dollar-figure in mind.

Any ideas?

I know that it's always "what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller". But fair is fair.

My first thought would be $10-$20 depending on single or double and its condition.......

Thoughts?????

Thanks.
John
I recently bought a NOS double mount for $45 from a surplus vendor. They are hard to find and I thought the price was fair.

================================

Jason, I have seen lots of photos of the rifle hanging from the window wing nut.

Question: Doesn't that beat the crap out of the rifle?

OK fine if you don't care about it but what if you bought that rifle with your own money. Still a good idea?

Blueduce

Quick question to anyone with installed rifle mounts. I know the standard mount is designed to accept the barrel and but of the standard M16 style weapon. Does anyone know if you can securely mount lets say a 12ga or 20ga shot gun into the same mount with out modifications.

Awesome thread.

Quick question to anyone with installed rifle mounts. I know the standard mount is designed to accept the barrel and but of the standard M16 style weapon. Does anyone know if you can securely mount lets say a 12ga or 20ga shot gun into the same mount with out modifications.

Awesome thread.
If I remember correctly, the one I have installed worked fine with my Mossberg 590. Also worked fine with my M1A, 1903, FAL and AR.

The mounting instructions specifically mention that they are for the M-16 and M-14.

LC

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Give the specific weapon you want to mount. Maybe someone who has the weapon and the mounts can give the answer ou are looking for. Easy answer is if it has a long wide body (Barrel stock combo), it'll probably work. If the stock is short as is on some shotguns such as a Winchester Model 50; it won't fit right. So; what do you want to mount?

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any way to lock those mounts to prevent unauthorized humanoids from taking the gun?
As the mounts sit, no. There is no way to use them unaltered to lock the weapon in place. That being said, I'm sure there is a way to do so with modification and level of security desired. It also depends on where it (the mount) is located. I can think of a couple different ways to make a lock that'll keep the weapon in place but won't stop a determined crook from getting it.

Flyingvan911

I've heard you can point the locks (latches, bars?) toward each other and overlap the ends. Drill a hole through both and put a padlock through them both. I haven't confirmed this so it could be wrong. Has anyone seen this?

Last edited:

Clay James

I've heard you can point the locks (latches, bars?) toward each other and overlap the ends. Drill a hole through both and put a padlock through them both. I haven't confirmed this so it could be wrong. Has anyone seen this?
That's a good idea, I'll have to try that out. I think it may depend on the thickness of the gun that's mounted. I've just been using the cable locks that I have to buy when I buy a gun through an FFL.

Blueduce

I'm looking to mount an SKS with standard stock and scope. I also have a Mossberg 500c 20ga with an 18in barrel. Not looking to carry them around all the time I just want to have a secure yet accessible place for bug out purposes only.

pevrs114

Now in a helicopter, specifically the CH-53 and CH-46, you better put that muzzle on the floor. Crew Chief sees you pointing it anywhere else a large can of whoop *** is going to open up and much pain will be delivered. Once had my Crew Chief (I was a First Mech) beat the crap out of a Major with a M-60. Shocked the living **** out of me. Never saw an Sgt beat up an officer. He was in the right tho. Officer was endangering the crew and passengers by pointing the weapon at the ceiling and pulling the trigger. NO ONE ever ****s with a Crew Chief on board his own helicopter while in mission status. All the grunts on board had their mouths hanging open and eyes were bugging out. When we landed (we took off from a carrier USS Siapan, I think) it was the fastest off load in an LZ I ever saw. Major was GONE before the ramp was fully down. Best smack down I ever saw:)
Muzzle up or muzzle down in a bird has to do with the location of the fuel tanks. We were taught in Air Assault School which way to point them for which birds, but the only one I remembered was muzzle down in a UH60. That's because that's the bird I used most often since then.

m816

I'm a little older than some but when I was in Nam, we only had M14's in the trucks. It was parked in the left rear corner behind the seat. It was really hard to get to. especially while trying to stay on the roads which at that time really sucked. It was a safe place for the weapon but dangerous for the driver. When ever possible I would just lay it on the passenger seat and keep picking it up as it fell on the floor. I carried grenades in the glove box just for piece of mind. It proved easier to get at the grenades than it was to get the 14 from behind the seat while driving.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wierd rifle clips...

my cab on kaiser, any one know what they are for, the history on my 715 leads me to either seebees or marines...
Did this question ever get an answer?

These look like they are the pre SA-80 British rifle clips, circa '80's and earlier, should have someone over hear with pics. My Rovers were refitted for SA-80 before demob so I don't have any, but most British ExMil vehicles had these mounted horizontally in pairs on dash or bulkhead behind front seats.

Interesting to know how they got in a US truck......

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Anyone have pics of rifle mounts on their doors? I bought some HEMTT door mount brackets for the buttock mount. I need to find a pic of the upper bracket so I can fabricate something.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone have pics of rifle mounts on their doors? I bought some HEMTT door mount brackets for the buttock mount. I need to find a pic of the upper bracket so I can fabricate something.
Sorry, I don't have any pics of the mount. I don't remember there being any mounts on the Fueler HEMTT that I drove. It's an excellent idea; however, could you please post pictures of the part that you do have? You don't indicate you have the doors but on the off chance you do, could you get a shot of the whole door panel? Maybe someone else has a shot of the door panel with door mounts or just a shot of the door in general. I'm looking to see what the inside of the door looks like. Perhaps we can reverse engineer the upper half from the mount marks. I'm thinking you also solved my drivers mount problem. I DON"T like having my rifle sitting behind me and installing it between the seats would tie up the center of the cab with mounts, which takes away from the VIC-1 installation, cup holder, etc. Putting it on the door (if it works) puts the 30-06 right there for a quick grab shoud uber buck jump out of the woods and scream "shoot me!" There's a couple commercial variations we tried on our Hueys (can't tell you any more than that) that would fit your bill of an upper mount and it wouldn't damage the door or rifle.

Last edited: