• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Halogen Headlight Upgrade

eagle4g63

What is different about converted gassers? I put H4 lenses in my 1953 M35 and had no issues?
The "Original" gasser had 2 buckets, one like in the photos, and then the main.....a regular a2 multi only has one bucket and the back it larger. Now depending on the light you get you may find out as you did(and the ones I put in) that you don't have to do anything, however if you get the ones like Bobby(which are very common ones to get) than you need to modify.

Lonnie

You mean you don't want Blue lights & BMW Halo's on your ride? lol...

Some bright halogens would be nice, in white of course.

Do be careful of some of the high output bulbs.
My experience with the 12V varieties in my motorcycle were bad, after a few wheelies they quit working.
Figuring the harshness of military suspension is way beyond what my bike ever saw on the street.

g2065g

So the lights appear too thick to put the outer ring back on. I broke one lens trying to install it. I doubt the ebay seller will replace but I am going to try. Regardless no lights still.

They fit nice other than being too thick. The screws aren't long enough. So if you plan to use those I linked get some longer screws and remove the permanent screws that are in the outer ring.

g2065g

I used a 1/4" drill bit after cutting the old screws which barely took anything off and 1/4-20 phillips head bolts. The seller sent me a new light with bulb free of charge. If you intend to cut off the old screws and put the 1/4-20's in make sure the head of the bolt is the same size if you can. Mine were slightly larger so they scraped the paint off the ring as I tightened them down. Not a big deal to me but may be to some. I got them 1" long and I believe 3/4" would work. The lights from ebay, octane lighting was the seller, have a rubber boot on the rear that you would have to modify if you want to use it with the Dorman 84790 Headlight Socket I linked. The boot is too thick to allow the prongs to plug into the socket. So you'd have to cut out a spot for the socket to plug onto the prongs. I just took them off for now but will probably cut them out to keep the moisture off. Will post pics if I remember to take them.

eagle4g63

Ok so I will post this, nothing wrong with the lights you or Bobby bought, HOWEVER if you buy this bulb housing instead......SAME PRICE.....it will be glass and metal, NOT plastic.....it fits in the same as a regular glass bulb......NO MODIFICATIONS!!!!

These are the exact ones I bought and can tell you they are dimensionally the exact same as a regular bulb.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-HALOGEN-2...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d0f609c0f&vxp=mtr

bigbird1

Ok so I will post this, nothing wrong with the lights you or Bobby bought, HOWEVER if you buy this bulb housing instead......SAME PRICE.....it will be glass and metal, NOT plastic.....it fits in the same as a regular glass bulb......NO MODIFICATIONS!!!!

These are the exact ones I bought and can tell you they are dimensionally the exact same as a regular bulb.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-HALOGEN-2...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d0f609c0f&vxp=mtr

If you install GLASS inserts, make sure you hold your hood latches when you UNHOOK them!!! I'm on my second Hella on the left side. It will swing down and crack that sucker faster than a five year old with a baseball bat.

eagle4g63

The ones that everyone else are posting are also GLASS front, the lens, however the back part of the bucket is made of plastic....that is why they are so thick and bulky, the ones I bought are identical to a factory original glass bulb.

I don't know about the Hella bulbs, but I think if your latch made it break then they must be some cheap made buckets. I haven't cracked a factory bulb, so not sure why GLASS would be the problem.

bigbird1

Maybe the cheaper ones are better made than the Hellas, just a warning, it cost me a extra $50. I think the point was what did it when it swung down, I just kind of pulled up and let them swing and fall.

socom688

The ones that everyone else are posting are also GLASS front, the lens, however the back part of the bucket is made of plastic....that is why they are so thick and bulky, the ones I bought are identical to a factory original glass bulb.

I don't know about the Hella bulbs, but I think if your latch made it break then they must be some cheap made buckets. I haven't cracked a factory bulb, so not sure why GLASS would be the problem.
Excellent find eagle! I am going to snag a pair of these. I will post results whenever I get them installed.

g2065g

If I need new ones for some reason I'll try the others. Once I got longer screws it was no biggy. And I will probably get shorter screws than I got. The 1" bottom out and push outward on the bucket a bit. I just left them out a couple turns for now.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased these exact lights. They arrived in a timely fashion. Did the swap out today, they are bright, but did require modification. Purty easy mod over-all, installed spade clips for bulb mounting. Bulbs were loose in bucket with keeper ring reinstalled so created a spacer ring to snug things up. Great upgrade, but not a "plug and play" as mentioned. I did do the install on a M923 so,,,,,,,,,,,,, not a deuce. Will do the deuce another day.

God bless,
Tony

eagle4g63

What I was getting at by "no modification" was that you don't need to "modify" the bucket to install them.....I did use a 3 prong plug and put military ends on it like the ones Bobby used...

Again I was ONLY talking about having to modify the head light buckets...sorry if there was some confusion as to literal "plug and play"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks