• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce hyd power steering

tgarrisoniv

ha no im gonna pass on the kit making. Im sure there are much better ways than what i have done. Just thought i would throw my .02 on hydro steer in there!

tgarrisoniv

ya... and what good does that do? that lil yota pump put outs more than enough pressure to turn my junk. also i had the pump laying around already. a larger pump is not necessary. also the pump is completely stock. if need be i could always turn the pump up a little bit as well. i see no reason for a larger pump. im kinda glad i dont have anything larger. i already managed to mangle my drag link from having the front end so buried it couldn't turn. instead of turning, it just bent the drag link so i dont even want more pressure...

defbob

Nothing illegal about full hydraulic steering. Only if it has heim joints.

i know its not street legal, but my full hydro steer i can turn sittin still with my pinky 3 turns lock to lock. with a 84 tacoma PS pump, tractor supply 3x12 steering ram, and eaton 4 port steering valve... just a thought. whole set up cost me around 450 + my labor (which is free to me...)

oh, also had to upgrade drag link as hydro steer was too strong for it and bent the bar. simply straightened it and threw a sch80 pipe over it, drilled holes every 6 in and spot welded.

michigandon

Is their a hydraulic assist steering available for these trucks?

IOW, not a kit like Toms, nor full hydraulic, but a hydraulic version of the Air-O-Matic, if you will?

jesusgatos

Tom, should be pretty easy to tap one of those boxes for a hydro-assist option, right? The other option would be to splice one of those steering shaft servos into the steering column somewhere. No kit available (yet), but would be a pretty slick way to go, and you wouldn't even have to replace the stock manual steering box.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is their a hydraulic assist steering available for these trucks?

IOW, not a kit like Toms, nor full hydraulic, but a hydraulic version of the Air-O-Matic, if you will?
Yes. Read the first post of this thread and follow the link.

tgarrisoniv

Nothing illegal about full hydraulic steering. Only if it has heim joints.
really? thought it was illegal. well, i wouldnt suggest it. with no mechanical link, loss of pressure can do funny things... & no running pump = no steering. so no towing with engine not running.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
whether or not hydro steering is legal is up to your state. even if it may be, can you say 'lawsuit'? if you hurt someone else they will OWN you. do you really feel that lucky?

there is an hydraulic assist, that is what eastern surplus sells for about $900 more than my kit.

the kit from boyce is the kia steering for the korean built version of the m-35.

the 710 box has approx 10 sq in of piston area = 15,000 lbs of assist acting on the sector gear, i cannot see how there would ever be the need for ports for an additional assist cylinder.

3 kits delivered, 2 spoken for, parts for 10 more arriving soon. some of the people buying these first kits will no doubt comment here when they install, but it is in effect the same as what is on my truck now and i plan to be at aberdeen thursday and friday at least so stop by and try it.

tom

Last edited:

M-1028

I don't want to start an argument, but mechanical links can fail just as easy. A well designed full hydraylic system will out perform mechanical steering. I have a lot of experience with these systems and it comes down to the parts you use and if there installed properly. My crawler and many of my freinds rigs handle speeds over 80 mph with ease.
My .02

M1031CMT

Sadly the MLVW's are a rare breed now. When the government sold off the first surplus trucks 3 years ago, we tried to get them road legal (as the government had the titles striked as "off road only"). Well after it hit the newspapers, the government publicly stated it would allow us to get them road legal, as we had argued it would be a loss of our military history not to be able to drive the trucks. Naturally the gov re-negged on that promise after the news died down (we have the official letter which is a basic f*uck you) and another result was that all future MLVW's would be scrapped rather than sold to the public. We found out that they are sending all the trucks to a few low-security prisons where they are getting the inmates to cut them apart. The last of the trucks are expected to be cut up by the end of the year.

They sold about 250 to the public (with at least a 100 or so bought by a scrap metal company which scrapped them all). Another 60 or so were ripped apart for parts (many of the power steering assemblies were actually bought by guys in the US). So only about 90 were left somewhat in tact (with maybe 20 that are complete and running). The other 2,000 trucks left will all be scrapped.

You can find them here and there at a few scrap yards but the guys usually want a fortune for them. A scrap yard near by has two in the yard. Pretty much parts trucks and they want $8k each for them.

So you can find them here and there, but they are not easy to find. The steering assemblies pretty much bolt right onto any M35. You just need to drill a couple holes for it on the frame and fab up a mount on the engine for the pump. Plus an added benefit is that the new steering column/wheel gives you a lot more room when sitting in the drivers seat.

We saved 3 of the trucks from the scrap yard, but ended up selling two of them. Last one we restored and use as the yard/shop truck.

Can take pictures of the setup in our truck if you want.

M1031CMT

There are some M35's up here. Imported from the US (yes legally). We have an M35A2 and an M109A3.

Saw it was about to start raining and took a few pictures before it starting coming down. Couldn't read the writing on the side of the unit due to all the paint. Will go out with a scraper next time.

And before anyone asks, no it wasn't bobbed originally. We did that.

Attachments