• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce hyd power steering

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
that is something to look for. on other trucks it is a loose pinch bolt on the arm that allows the arm to move slightly on the shaft. from what i have seen it is the pitman arm that gets the damage to the spline so i am useing new arms. used boxes go from $200 to $300. if it says METRIC it will not work. the part # is cast on the back, 7830389 if you want rebuilt, most suppliers will charge you for the rebuilt box and a core charge, expect $575 total in this case.
tom

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i will provide some measurements for checking clearance, eventually. it looks like it will be about another 2 weeks before kits are available. i am only making 5 kits this time.
tom

bones1

I have a line on some boxes local to me at a friends school bus service yard.I will go down and check with him in a couple weeks and get back to you.
Thanks for all the work you have done so far. This is a much needed upgrade for this truck.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
have most parts in stock now, just finishing up the mount and drag link. looks like the price will be $1400 plus shipping and that is without the steering box. this is a special price for SS people, the 'other' price will be higher. i will put an ad in that section when it is ready to ship.
tom

michigandon

Looks awesome. I'll be a potential future customer for sure, unless I happen to find a good used air assist cheaper.

The OEM steering wheel in the M35a2 is way too big for a fatass like me to get behind. :(

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
they have been here in some form before, but here is a collection of the installation on my truck.
the kit refines several points and makes it easier to install, no welding etc. i am 6'3", 280 and have plenty of room behind wheel.

Attachments

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i have done some more web site work, and have an agreement for a major steering rebuilder to sell you rebuilt 710 boxes for $500 + shipping, no core. this means you could have power steering with all fresh parts for less than $2000. now i agree that is still a lot of money, but consider the alternatives and having real power steering for the lift of your truck! (with a used box it is about $1500)
i must really have too much spare time...........

tom

HanksDeuce

Tom, how much room is there from the right side of the front spring frame bracket to the Saginaw 710 box? The Black Rock Fab kit replaces that front spring frame bracket with a bracket that is wider (5 holes) instead of 3. Hope it's not a deal breaker!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
i have done some more web site work.........

i must really have too much spare time...........

tom
Tom, I gotta tell you, many folks appreciate what you are doing in your "spare" time, even if they can't afford to take advantage of it.

I speak as someone with a lot of mechanical skills and experience-I've built multiple engines, transmissions, differentials, suspension, brakes, you name it. As a professional technician I'd go broke because I am slow but I am pretty good at diagnosing and fixing/upgrading stuff.

But I lack fabrication skills and equipment-I have a torch and a good mig, but I just don't have the experience/skill to fabricate/machine mounts/brackets/etc like you do.

So for a person like me, master fabricators like you make upgrades like this possible.

So thanks.

BTW, your signature link to the steering page on your website is no good.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Tom, how much room is there from the right side of the front spring frame bracket to the Saginaw 710 box? The Black Rock Fab kit replaces that front spring frame bracket with a bracket that is wider (5 holes) instead of 3. Hope it's not a deal breaker!
as long as the new spring bracket does not stick out more that the head of the bolts that are there now, it will go behind the box by removing a now useless casting tab from the box.

"/" fixed
tom

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
SLSteering quoted me $395 rebuilt, no core, in stock for the 710 I.H.C (Saginaw 7830389). Any reason I should not pull the trigger on this?
that is a good price, but i only made 5 kits and 3 are allegedly spoken for. i will be making another 5 in a month or so but it will take time. i don't want to sell kits before they are really fully completed, still waiting for some items to finish.
tom