• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce hyd power steering

daddy2

Tom Would running the bigger 395 tires cause any problems? I would be really interested by next year. I started saving beer cans already for the $$. [thumbzup] And I would want the entire kit.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
ok, here is a teaser. i figure if i am doing it i will make it fit well and look like it was factory.

parts used to make column
column and wheel assymbled
lower end of column
lower shaft, i have 2 different models, both do the same thing
18" wheel
new pump. adapter, gear

more soon.

tom

Attachments

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
todays progress:

picture of 710 box
mount at firewall
new column installed, you can see the horn wire hanging down from the contact cover just below dash
pressure line and hose to connect to 5 ton pump
modded pitman arm (stamped off road only)

Attachments

Last edited:

Sumner

Nice looking setup! I wish I had waited a couple more weeks, I just finished rounding up all the parts I needed for my hydro steering setup. The steering box I grabbed was the HF54 unit off an old LN700, and the truck also had the ram assist on the tie rod as well. I'm pretty sure I can make it work on the duece fairly easily. Could you please post a few more pics of your mods to the steering coulumn? Did you just cut yours down and machine a bushing to fit the shaft and tube? What are your plans for the horn wire? I have soooo many questions! lol

goldneagle

I have an M52A2 that needs restore work. Would I be able to steal all the necessary parts off of it to do a hydro power steering in my M109? I was told the power steering pump would interfere with the radiator... What parts would I still need to purchase to complete the install?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the steering column is custom with horn contact for original horn button. 5 ton parts are just too big, you could use your pump and that's about it. you do have to cut the rad shroud, but pump clears rad by a good margin.
sumner, i can sell you as much or as little as you want for the column.

tom

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
got new pitman arms today since it is problematic to get used ones that still have a good spline.
found tie rod ends for the drag link so it can be made without welding.
will make the lines on monday. pressure and return are custom, the suction is just 3/4" hose.
have not found any tank for the reservoir on the firewall. needs to be 1 to 1 1/2 qts. any good ideas?

tom

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the best thing i have found is from a chevy van, but then i have to cut it apart and just use the top and bottom caps with 3" tubing. but it has a propper cap with dipstick and vent. there should be something from some other truck that has a remote tank for steering fluid.
i may be about a week away from 5 complete kits..........
oh, boyce equip has the 'other' hydro steering kits for $3500

tom

Last edited:

JasonS

g
have not found any tank for the reservoir on the firewall. needs to be 1 to 1 1/2 qts. any good ideas?

tom
Garrison MFG advertises a variety of new reservoirs.

Used ones from class 8 trucks are firewall mounted and have an internal filter.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
thats good, but for their prices i can make them myself. needs #8 return and #12 suction. gm astro van seems best bet so far, at least they are cheap. i am trying to keep the costs down while having availability of parts.
tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks