• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Insurance Prices - How much do you pay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breach27

I just got liability in AR for 88 a year from State Farm. Supposed to stay under 5,000 miles a year. I did go the antique/collector route. State Farm is not requiring me to keep the vehicle garaged.

I had State Farm (customer for almost 20 years) until last month @ $300 per year with no restrictions. They switched me to a commercial policy without notice and it more than doubled. That switch cancelled all my multi-car discounts as well.......I switched to Grange (switched everything...3 cars and my house) and I'm at $245 per year on my deuce with no restrictions.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
State Farm local agent wasn't interested in signing me unless I switched ALL my vehicles and house- wouldn't even quote me. Previous M35A2 owner's State Farm agent never quoted me. Auto Club (AAA) never quoted me. I got Gulfway for about $250 per year, not required to be garaged. Licensed "historic vehicle". Located in high-traffic, high-crime Southern California. I have a clean record and a commercial Class A license. Gulfway required that I complete a mechanical inspection form, but didn't require that I pay a shop to do it.

I would like to update that State Farm is awful. Despite me having it in writing and explaining to them that is was registered in MD, they wrote the policy in DE (where my other cars are registered). I didnt know this until the MVA sent me a letter about suspended tags and racked up a $1300 fine. They were less then helpful when it came to clearing it up and providing the FR19. I had canceled them 2 weeks prior and went with Geico anyway. While getting all this straight i came to find out from State Farm they had also canceled my policy 10.24 (i paid 6 months up front to continue through 11/11), becaue o a $38 bill they sent me to have my trailer insured, which i told them not to worry about, i was instructed by them not to worry about it that it was just the liability for towing the trailer. I never received a letter, or a phone call or anything which infuriates me that they were letting me drive around un insured without even the common courtesy to call me to pay the bill or to let me know (i cant view my policy online with the local agent - like everything else in the world i do or i would have caught it)

Eventually after 3 weeks and eventually just turning my tags in to the MVA i got the fines cleared up, no thanks to State Farm, i am very glad i canceled them. There is no coporate line that can straighten anything out, they just tell you you to contact your local agent. I finally got through to a customer service agent after 5 calls, and i explained the problem, he told me he was not a licensed insurance agent and coulnt help me, i asked him if he could transfer me to someone who could, he said no, then i went to let him know how rediculous this was. Then he asked me if i wanted to speak to a manager. I said of course i do. I was on old for 18 minutes, then i hear the phone pick up, and numbers dialing... then a Huh? then numbers dialing again.... hello? YES I AM STILL HERE! ... CLICK! ... HE PUT ME ON HOLD JUST TO WAIT FOR TO HANG UP AND NEVER TRANSFERED ME STATE FARM IS AWFUL!. I am very glad i went with Geico, though they were a little more, i can call them anytime, anywhere and speak to a person who will answer my questions and not just put me off.

Last edited:

welldigger

I have state farm for all of my vehicles except for my heavy trucks. State farm basically told me they don't mess with anything bigger than a 1 ton anymore. Fair enough, so I shopped around a bit and ended up with a commercial policy from Progressive for around $600 a year. This is strictly some heavy duty liability coverage with no restrictions. I could have paid a lot less for minimum coverage but I figured if I did hit someone I wanted my back side covered driving a 7 ton truck.

Hmm i had a full state farm commercial policy, 50/100 they insured mine anyway, had pictures and all submitted. Progressive DOES NOT insure military vehicles, i would call and ask them again, i asked them specifically on 3 different calls (because they are USAAs commercial insurance department) and after ever time i was put on hold and they checked with a supervisor, it was confirmed that they DO NOT insure military vehicles.

welldigger

Hmm i had a full state farm commercial policy, 50/100 they insured mine anyway, had pictures and all submitted. Progressive DOES NOT insure military vehicles, i would call and ask them again, i asked them specifically on 3 different calls (because they are USAAs commercial insurance department) and after ever time i was put on hold and they checked with a supervisor, it was confirmed that they DO NOT insure military vehicles.
Well here in LA progressive most certainly DOES cover former mv's. On my card it says 1972 AM General M35A2. I sent them pictures of the truck and everything. Matter of fact I had the policy before I took delivery of the truck. Funny thing is there was a state farm card in the glove box of my truck when I bought it. I asked my state farm agent about that and they told me they quit covering trucks bigger than 1 ton and the previous owner must have been grandfathered in because he had an already existing policy. Now if you want a headache as far as getting insurance coverage try getting a policy for a drilling rig mounted on a 2002 Chevy C6500. I went in circles for weeks with that truck trying to get coverage.

Very strange, it must be a state to state thing then. In DE, progressive will not insure military vehicles, but state farm and Geico will. Fortunately I dont have any other large commercial vehicles to personally insure to worry about. What would make a drilling rig more dangerous? Because it was "home made"?

welldigger

Very strange, it must be a state to state thing then. In DE, progressive will not insure military vehicles, but state farm and Geico will. Fortunately I dont have any other large commercial vehicles to personally insure to worry about. What would make a drilling rig more dangerous? Because it was "home made"?
No nothing homemade about my rig. Its a Mayhew 1000. Mayhew has been around since at least the 30's and used to be part of the Howard Hughes empire. I think it's so hard to insure because no one at the agent's office knows what it is. Its frustrating because like my deuce I don't need a CDL to drive it. I have 23,000 pound plates on my rig and a 10,000 pound plate on my deuce. O well, I have policys for both so for now at least it's one less headache. Though I wish state farm would cover those trucks also. They have been really good to me and as far as my bikes and personal cars no other insurance company can touch the premiums I pay.

Haha well i didnt mean home made like backyard, i meant in their eyes, not factory installed. Doesnt your deuce weigh 13,000lbs empty though?

State farm was cheap but USAA is far cheaper for me. My wife and I have a 2012 passat TDI, 2009 Touareg, 2001 Silverado/Duramax, all full coverage, 100k/300k, and a 400k homeowners policy and i pay less than $170 a month for it all. About $100 a month cheaper than both State Farm and Geico. I guess it all depends on where you live.

State Farm just really surprised me, the were great at first, but once they had my business, they didnt seem to care to keep up with anyone, and once they lost it they had no interest in helping whatsoever. What blew my mind is there was no way to contact any corporate side of them, i just could only deal with and express my problems with my local agent, even when i called another agent i was just referred back to them. It's crazy.

welldigger

Here in LA we pay the highest insurance rates in the country. Lord don't ask me why. I'm not affiliated with any branch of the military so USAA is not an option for me. Though a bunch of my military buddies love them. State Farm has treated me well and I don't feel like listing all 12 of my policies and prices but they are well below what anyone else can quote me. Other than trucks they won't cover obviously. Truthfully I never have liked progressive (political reasons) but they gave me the best quote so what the heck. Especially since I wanted a commercial policy. I drive my deuce often and plan on taking it on several fairly long trips a year. So an antique policy from haggerty or grundy wasn't going to cut it. Its hard to claim going to Mud Nationals was for "parade duty":whistle:

cajun666

One important fact that people need to be aware of is that the minimum insurance requirements in most states to insure a vehicle are just that - minimal. In many states the minimal liability coverage is $10K. Even if you are driving a small car, $10K of liability insurance is not sufficient. One accident can ruin your life. Then when you factor the weight and size of a deuce or 5-ton, you can really run up the damage in an accident. I carry $100K / $300K insurance on both my deuces and an additional $1M umbrella policy.
How much does this coast and who the policy with.

215Dave

I was referred to Gulfway by a friend that owns a M35a2. I just purchased the same a month ago ( needs a master cylinder, I won't get into the brakes thing after reading 22 pages here). My current insurance provider is Nationwide. I daily drive a '62 Caddy for under a $100 a month. Nationwide will not insure my deuce. My friend has his insured by Gulfway for $108 a year. We live in Southeastern, PA. Thanks for all the info guys. I'm calling Gulfway later today for my quote when I wake up!

215Dave

I'm not happy. I placed two phone calls to Gulfway. The first call I placed was to the Collector Truck ext. I told the lady what make and model and year my truck is. She asked what I'd be using it for. I said its not my primary vehicle. I'd like to drive it whenever where ever with no restrictions. I did throw in I prob wouldn't rack up a ton a miles. ( I was hoping that would be helpful in my case). She asked if I would haul firewood or go to Home Depot. I said sure, I'd like to be able to if I chose. That when she said that their policy is for parade and show use only. And that firewood hauling, going to Home Depot for supplies, and she even mentioned off roading are not covered activities. Needless to say I was not happy hearing that. I tried again in my second call, this time to the Commercial ext. same results. Now I'm lost....

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1999 M35A3 w/ 109 box
commercial 12 ft box truck, comprehensive/collision $1000 deductable
$71
State Farm Commercial Vehicles
AZ
multi-car= yes, restrictions= no, storage requirements= no.

SailorJerry

I have called every single company listed on here for a deuce and with the exception of Haggerty, and Gulfway (Dont want restrictions) I have been told absolutely NO!!!! i have called each of these companies 5 or 6 times and even local agents and not a single person will insure this truck. Im trying to purchase it but without insurance I wont even be able to drive it off the lot without it :( My last ditch effort is for maybe someone on this thread in Florida to refer me to their exact agent, maybe he or she can hook me up as well :)

SailorJerry

Gulfway would only insure vehicle if for parades and exhibitions and such. Im in the Coast guard here on the east coast of FL and all i am going to be doing is driving it to work and parking it for three to four days at a time while im on duty.... this was entirely to much driving for gulfway.

steelandcanvas

Gulfway would only insure vehicle if for parades and exhibitions and such. Im in the Coast guard here on the east coast of FL and all i am going to be doing is driving it to work and parking it for three to four days at a time while im on duty.... this was entirely to much driving for gulfway.
I think that would come real close to the definition of a "daily driver".

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks