• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce manufacturers

TaylorTradingCo

I was researching and ran across where it said the Deuce was manufactured by ten different companies. I know Kasier Jeep, AM General, Reo, and Studebacker. I also saw a Utica go on GL recently. That only gets me up to five.

Who are the other five manufacturers?

Does anyone know how many each manufacturer made?

I have a 1911 Colt made by Remington UMC. I know who all made 1911's and how many each manufacturer made just by looking in any gun book. It helps to determine which ones are more valuable.

Do the Deuces made by rarer manufacturers have a higher value? I would think so, but maybe they haven't gone that far as collectors items yet.

I have a M35 Reo and am going to pick up a Studebacker/Packard this week.

Derek Taylor

area52

I think between the time of Kaiser-Jeep and AM General there was a different name for a few years, General Jeep Products? maybe. I know I saw an odd ball data plate one like that.

Maybe before Kaiser-Jeep it was just Kaiser?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think between the time of Kaiser-Jeep and AM General there was a different name for a few years, General Jeep Products? maybe. I know I saw an odd ball data plate one like that.

Maybe before Kaiser-Jeep it was just Kaiser?
I believe it was General Prouducts Division. There were no Kaiser trucks. At the last there was the LTV Corp. but the tag still said AM General.

Kaiser-Jeep, General Products, AM General, and LTV were all more or less the same company. The company just changed hands because of sellouts and such so the name changed when this happened.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Problem is that each truck had different "options" that were factory, or can/cant be added later on by the military, or MV'ers. Winch, hardtop, dropside, turbo, etc.. While it's the same truck, there are too many other factors that cloud the situation.

When Colt mades the M1911, the Remmington produced one is essentially the same. Yes, perhaps some minor manufacturing differences in some parts, but when placed side by side, it's hard to tell, as they are the same item. No "options" or the like..

I think it will take MANY YEARS before the MV collector market "figures out" which models are worth more than others.. The deuce market, unlike the firearms market, will be very small, and there are enough trucks out there to keep everyone happy for now.. I think collecting for possible future value is a risky venture that may never materialize any time soon.

Another factor is sheer size.. I can put 100 weapons in a small room, and it wont bother anything. I need a big space to keep a deuce.. And a decue needs maintaince.. Seals go dry, ect while in storage.. Weapons, keep them oiled up or in cosmoline, and no "storage manintaince" issues...

Just my .02....

Last edited:

Lex_Ordo

Like rifles, the manufacturers who get contracts to produce vehicles for the military have to conform and build the product to the specifications set forth by the contract. Usually the contract calls for an excessive overbuild and because it is a military contract it can be quite lucrative for the manufacturer where the same product with the same specs would be cost prohibitive in the commercial market.
To this end, any manufacturer that makes a miltary contracted product is most of the time similar to any other. It looks the same and performs the same. There is of course some slight variation, and that comes from the individual manufacturer's tooling capabilities, but for the most part the product is identical from all manufacturers.

When it comes to rifles, some folks state that this company made a better this or that, but in reality if it was made from a military drawing, they're all pretty much equal. I believe that this is true with the vehicles as well, because if you were to take the data plate off of anything, I think you would be hard pressed to determine the origin.

Last edited:

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If in referring to a "deuce" it is not limited to the M35, then two manufacturers that I have not seen mentioned would be GMC and IH .

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I know there is an author who knows the answer to this. He's written numerous articles and books on deuces and the like. Problem is this is more than just a list of 10 names and has a lot of intricate details and date overlaps and etc and etc. He's also usually pretty pressed for time.

Sounds like something to sit down with him over a beer at Aberdeen or the GA Rally.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reo, Studebaker, Studebaker-Packard, Curtiss Wright, Utica Bend, Kaiser Jeep, General Products Division and AM General. These are all I can think of off the top of my head.

Elwenil

I believe AMC was the name used between Kaiser-Jeep and AM General. I have seen a few M35 data plates posted here that had AMC listed as the manufacturer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks