• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce muffler option

brianp454

140530 M35A2 added Aero Turbine 3535XL muffler 1 lowrez.jpg140530 M35A2 added Aero Turbine 3535XL muffler 2 lowrez.jpg140530 M35A2 added Aero Turbine 3535XL muffler 3 lowrez.jpg140530 M35A2 added Aero Turbine 3535XL muffler 4 lowrez.jpg

WOW, lots of activity on mufflers. Without a muffler I found my truck would tickle my eardrums when at freeway speeds on grades, which is WAY too loud. I decided to install the AT3535XL because I wanted a little growl, but wanted it to be bearable without ear plugs. Also hoped to keep a little C turbo whistle. Got it for about $90 on eBay with shipping. Pics attached. I also put a video on youtube. If you search my screen name brianp454 or 3535XL you should find it. I installed the tip of the pipe at 111 1/2 inches from the ground (she’s wearing 365\80R20’s which are the same height as 11x20’s). The apex of my bows are at 113 inches, so I can always use the tip of the exhaust to confirm I have enough room to fit under something. My J-pipe had a mondo hunk of JB weld in a rust hole that was vibrating apart and leaking. I used a strip of the pipe when I put the muffler to repair it. I cut v-notches about every 1 ½ inch to allow it to bend and follow the path. The J-pipe should be replaced, but this will work for a while. My support bracket under the flex was also broken, so I used a piece of it and the leftover 3 ½ inch clamp welded together to make a new bracket. I think it’s better than the original. It looks like it was there from the factory and I notice NO increase in EGT's!

The disadvantage of the long AT is the hand guard will not fit. I plan to add a 1 ¼ inch welded-in extension to allow it to fit. Will post on it later. My truck has the Gillespie CARC sub 686 and I find it turns pink when it gets real hot. Hope the handguard will hide some of it.

I did take sound measurements with a professional meter beforehand, but have not had a chance to do it post-muffler. I will add to the thread when I can.

My buddy has the big (long version) Donaldson on his truck and it is quieter than the AT3535XL (see post 76 for my list of muffler options). If you are looking for quiet as possible I recommend the big Walker \ Donaldson. Also, I don’t think it is necessary to run the exhaust all the way to the back as some have suggested. If you really want quiet I would recommend mounting a larger muffler and dumping the exhaust pointed down about a foot from the intermediate axle. Trying to fit a muffler with the existing pipe size and straight design really limits muffler options. You can mount a wide variety of big mufflers under the truck and directing the tip towards the ground vs to the side should help too. So, if you cut the J-pipe about 2 inches under the support bracket (to allow it to hold it), run a bend to run the pipe straight down a foot or so, turn in until you’re roughly under the frame rail and then turn straight back. There’s plenty of room for a big muffler between the tank and the driveline. You can then add a custom tailpipe to direct the exhaust back and down at a 45 degree angle. I would suggest making the tip below and at least a foot in front of the axle so it doesn’t heat the axle. Also, you might consider a sheet metal heat shield between the tank and the muffler. Just leave room to allow air flow on both sides.

Added Muffler Parts:
AeroTurbine AT3535XL (long version with internal resonator) sandblasted to rough up surface for painting
Torctite stainless 3.5 inch strap clamp, 33223, 0113196 (2 required)
6 inch clamp, NAPA 733-5795
Mr Gasket 1203 or Fel-Pro 2003 (3.5 inch collector gasket with corners cut off)
Custom stainless bracket to adapt the 3.5 inch clamp bolt pattern to a 6 inch clamp
Primer and Desert Tan paint

Last edited:

brianp454

I have the big aero too. It makes the cab tolerable at highway speeds. Can almost talk by yelling. I made a custom bracket for mine. I paid 80 bucks or so for it.
Yea, I have made the same observation. It sounds great doing simple driving around town and you can gab it up while doing it. Up to 45 or so it just sounds SWEET! Nice rumble with not being too loud. At 55 on the freeway grades it's still a bit too loud to talk. Slow down a tad or run on flat ground and you can pretty much talk the entire time. Note I often drive from North Portland to south of Portland on I-5 and your on a grade most of the time. A little grade is no big deal but the big ones make her a bit noisy if you try to maintain 55 or 60 (due to taller tires).

skinnyR1

I like it though. At least I dont need ear protection on the highway, and my egt's remain low. I still need to paint mine and attach the snorkel to a bracket. The mesh cover will fit over it with slight modificationn so I intend to do that as well.

welldigger

I like my at3535. It's not super quiet but it really took the edge off. In fact it's not the exhaust that bothers me anymore. It's the drive train noise.

M2Guy

Brought my first green truck home over the weekend. A 1967 Keiser Jeep M35A2 W/W. It didn't take me long to decide what one of my first projects is going to be! lol I love this site with all the info and help found here. Nice pictures of your install. I would like to know where you acquired your fording kit. Also I noticed you have everything painted up nicely. I need to find a good source for the military paint colors.

peashooter

Brought my first green truck home over the weekend. A 1967 Keiser Jeep M35A2 W/W. It didn't take me long to decide what one of my first projects is going to be! lol I love this site with all the info and help found here. Nice pictures of your install. I would like to know where you acquired your fording kit. Also I noticed you have everything painted up nicely. I need to find a good source for the military paint colors.
no worries. Here is the Snorkel: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?72039-My-Snorkel&p=1055774&viewfull=1#post1055774
Here is a good source for the paint: http://www.rapcoparts.com/manuals.html Although lots of folks get paint from Home Depot and love it. Not sure how well Home depot latex would hold up on the exhaust/muffler though?

welldigger

Latex paint won't hold up to exhaust heat. Neither will the Gillespie from rapco.

By this I mean it may hold up for a while but eventually it will either peel off or the color will fade out. I know real carc turns a pinkish hue from the heat.

red

uploadfromtaptalk1410307684517.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1410307721402.jpg

Running a 4" exhaust out the rear of the truck with a "diamond eye performance" muffler. Decible reading in the cab with all the windows open is 69db at idle, and 84db cruising at 50mph. If the exhaust is ran to directly behind the cab (no stack) without a muffler the turbo screams like a banshee.

peashooter

Latex paint won't hold up to exhaust heat. Neither will the Gillespie from rapco.

By this I mean it may hold up for a while but eventually it will either peel off or the color will fade out. I know real carc turns a pinkish hue from the heat.
The rapco paint I used has held up well to heat on the exhaust and muffler for 3 years now. I did use hardener when I painted it which helps I'm sure but so far it still looks the same as the rest of the truck.

welldigger

The rapco paint I used has held up well to heat on the exhaust and muffler for 3 years now. I did use hardener when I painted it which helps I'm sure but so far it still looks the same as the rest of the truck.
Hmm, that's better than I would have expected.

rustystud

View attachment 515200
View attachment 515201

Running a 4" exhaust out the rear of the truck with a "diamond eye performance" muffler. Decible reading in the cab with all the windows open is 69db at idle, and 84db cruising at 50mph. If the exhaust is ran to directly behind the cab (no stack) without a muffler the turbo screams like a banshee.
I thought about running my exhaust like yours, but I like the look of the stack to much ! So I will just wear ear plugs. Actually I don't need ear plugs anymore as I have gone deaf in my left ear and my right is starting to go too. To many years working in a loud shop environment.

M2Guy

Dont kid yourself, you still need hearing protection. As long as you have hearing, you have hearing to loose. My wife says I have selective hearing loss. Don't most of us?

M2Guy

Dont kid yourself, you still need hearing protection. As long as you have hearing, you have hearing to loose. My wife says I have selective hearing loss. Don't most of us?

ShawnIfert

I took an exhaust system and air cleaner from a M35a3 and with a few adapters for the most part it bolts right up. My truck is very quiet!!image.jpg

ShawnIfert

Here is a better picture. I live down road the from the Tnj Murray. They had parted out some m3's and they are still there so you could get the parts from them that are needed. You just cut the J pipe at the fender and weld a 3 1/2 to 4 in adater with a flange on your stock J pipe and it bolts on. Very easy mod.
image.jpg

rustystud

Here is a better picture. I live down road the from the Tnj Murray. They had parted out some m3's and they are still there so you could get the parts from them that are needed. You just cut the J pipe at the fender and weld a 3 1/2 to 4 in adater with a flange on your stock J pipe and it bolts on. Very easy mod.
View attachment 602111

I just got my M35A3 air filter housing. To bad I didn't also get the muffler as now I need to do something with the air filter dust scavenger system. I might just cut off the top part of the housing and cut off the dust collector part and reweld it together.

ShawnIfert

You could just put a rubber stopper in it or cap so if you get the m3 muffle you can use it. It is in the back and it is hard to see. But at the end of the day it is what you like.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks